Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP/HR/Skins.com: Brunell Practices, Salave'a doesn't (MERGED)

Redskins4ever

Redskins Quarterback Mark Brunell Practices, Expected to Play Sunday Against Jaguars enlarge.gifap-image-b3163bef-4c0a-4f20-b598-b812952a54c7.jpgWashington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell looks to pass against the Houston Texans during the second quarter of their NFL football game in Houston in this Sept. 24, 2006 file photo. (AP Photo/Dave Einsel, File)09-29-2006 4:10 PM

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell practiced Friday for the first time this week and plans to start Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I feel good. I practiced today, so I expect to play on Sunday," Brunell said. "The arm improved over the course of the week."

The left-handed Brunell needed three stitches to repair a nasty cut in his throwing elbow following last week's victory against the Houston Texans. He has kept the arm wrapped all week to prevent infection.

"He looked very good today, so I think we're all set," coach Joe Gibbs said.

Brunell has not missed a start due to injury since joining the Redskins in 2004, even when various ailments have kept him sidelined during midweek practices. He was especially cautious this week because an infected cut on the same elbow caused him to lose the starting job to Byron Leftwich three years ago in Jacksonville.

Also Friday, defensive tackle Joe Salave'a missed practice with a strained calf. Gibbs said Salave'a's absence was precautionary.

"We think he can play," Gibbs said.

Salave'a did not play against the Texans, but he practiced Thursday.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://hamptonroads.cox.net/cci/sports/localsportstopstory?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=aparticle&id=D8KENRH01&_action=validateaparticle

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=20297

News & Notes: Brunell Expects to Play

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

September 29, 2006

BrunQB869.jpg

Mark Brunell

Quarterback Mark Brunell returned to practice on Friday and, according to head coach Joe Gibbs, played well during the two-hour session. Brunell had sat out two practices earlier in the week so that a laceration on his left elbow could heal.

"Mark took all of practice and he looked good," Gibbs said. "I think we're in good shape there."

Brunell told reporters after practice that he expects to play in Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He remains listed as probable on the Redskins' injury report.

Brunell is expected to wear some protective padding on the elbow so that the wound doesn't re-open during the game.

"I think he'll wear something soft," Gibbs said. "What he had on [Friday during practice] looked good to me. Really, it was just a cut on his elbow. He'll probably have a soft pad on it, and I don't think it's anything to worry about."

-- SALAVE'A: GAME TIME DECISION

One day after practicing full-go for the first time in two weeks, defensive tackle Joe Salave'a was held out of Friday's practice to rest a calf injury.

Joe Gibbs called the decision to hold him out as "precautionary." Salave'a did not aggravate the injury on Thursday, Gibbs said.

"I think he will play on Sunday, but I think it will be a [game time] decision on him," Gibbs said. "It'll be up to his coaches."

Salave'a remains listed as probable. If he is unable to play, rookie defensive tackle Kedric Golston is expected to draw the starting assignment.

As expected, cornerback Shawn Springs was downgraded to out for Sunday's game. Springs will be replaced by cornerback Kenny Wright, with help by Mike Rumph and Ade Jimoh.

Archived