Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deep Routes??? Where are they

Ynot

Why are all the routes short and when they do run deep routes is Brunnell arm to weak to throw them, is he scared to throw them in fear of an interception? I do not know if you guys saw Santanna on a few deep routes he was open and was cursing as he went to the sidelines that the ball was not thrown. Why does Brunnell drop so deep, why does he not step up in the pocket instead of backing up further or trying to roll at the first sign of pressure. We throw only to the edges, why do we not throw over the middle, are they not calling for those plays or are they hiding the fact that Brunnell does not have the arm for it? Or does he just not have the confidence to throw over the middle. If you do not throw over the middle mid range or deep sure makes covering the outside patterns alot easier for the corners and the safties can cheat. Sometimes you have to throw it deep just as the Cowboys did and got the pass interference, our d-back was in gook position he just had poor technic and plaed the receiver instead of the ball. I would rather see a 40 to 50 yard deep pass and get an interception instead of 3 passes short and still not pick up a first down, it will at least open up the short passes and the run. The offense just looks horrible. The Jaguars burned the Cowboys on a few deep balls. I just think we need to move to Cambell and let him stand tall in the pocket and dump it over the middle and let him wing it deep a few times to at least scare people. he can throw in 60 to 70 yards in the air! Just let it rip, he will probably be better than our punt coverage!

I remember a pass last week from Brad Johnson in a cover 2 scheme played by us. Brad lofted it over the stretched out hand of the corner and before the safety for a completion, perfect pass, risky but perfect. Thats what NFL QB's do, except ours, unless he has a clear line of sight to the reciever, he will not throw the football and he will throw it away or get sacked. He will not attempt to fit it in period, he throws it as hard as he can on almost every single play, with no touch. Yopu can not fit it in when they play a zone coverage unless you have great accuracy and great touch, our very old old QB has neither.

At least last year in the comeback win he tossed up two to Santanna in double coverage and he caught them both. Sometimes you just ahve to throw it, they do not have to be wide open, let the players do what they are paid to do make plays. The Quaterback just has to put the ball in a position for them to attempt to make the plays.

Also how many short balls to wide open gusy in crossing patterns did he throw! He was horrible!

I say start Collins, he is the one who supposedly knows the system, he is Saunders man, so lets see what they can do. The Start Campbell later this year if things do not work with Collins

Brunell was finished the day we traded for him, another waste of a draft pick. Last year Brunell had a string of about 6 good games, the other games he looked almost as bad as he does now

We did not need a #2 receiver, we needed a QB who could get it to the #2 receiver, last year the other receivers were open but Brunell only looked for Moss and Cooley.

Brunell checking down to the runningback in the flat has been the story of 2006.

He made some very bad passes, blatently missing receivers at times. Something is wrong, and he needs to be benched. Seriously.

I think we all miss Gary Clark, sanders and monk getting passes thrown to them over the middle! Wish we had a quarterback that could do the same so we could talk the same way about Moss, Randle El, Llyod and Cooley! Sure miss, Rypien, Williams, Thiesman, Schroeder, Green and even Ramsey!

What good are long routes if Brunell is running for his life? I mean how many sacks did they have last night? It looked like something from the Spurrier regime. Terrible protection last night. Now granted our running game was to blame too as there wasn't one at all. So there was nothing to take pressure off our passing game since we had no run threat. As Madden said last night, Portis was missed for more then one reason. He's one of the best blocking backs in the league. He's a key element to our passing game. I mean Ware owned Cooley and shed his blocks like a high schooler.

What good are long routes if Brunell is running for his life? I mean how many sacks did they have last night? It looked like something from the Spurrier regime. Terrible protection last night. Now granted our running game was to blame too as there wasn't one at all. So there was nothing to take pressure off our passing game since we had no run threat. As Madden said last night, Portis was missed for more then one reason. He's one of the best blocking backs in the league. He's a key element to our passing game. I mean Ware owned Cooley and shed his blocks like a high schooler.

Dude... a couple of those sacks were Brunell stepping right into them. I have news for you, in this league qb's get sacked, did you see Eli against Philly? He got killed a couple times, if that happens to Brunell he'll be done. You get sacked, you get back up and make a play you can't play scared and throw the ball at any perceived pressure.

MB is simply not throwing it, for whatever reason

They showed one clip where Moss was open deep but MB had held the ball so long he was sacked

Yep I remember that play. Moss had his guy beat to.

It almost seems as if Brunell is trying so hard not to make mistakes that it causes him to be hesitant at times and thats not good for any QB. I'm slowly starting to think that Brunell's place on this team may be better as a backup.

While I haven't been posting long here, i've been lurking for a long time. I feel like i've been reading these threads ever since Gibbs came back and brought in his chosen QB.

I can't figure out exactly what's up with Brunell but maybe we do need a change. I can't imagine we aren't trying to fully utilize the playbook so a big part of it is the execution.

How depressing was that game.....

Dude... a couple of those sacks were Brunell stepping right into them. I have news for you, in this league qb's get sacked, did you see Eli against Philly? He got killed a couple times, if that happens to Brunell he'll be done. You get sacked, you get back up and make a play you can't play scared and throw the ball at any perceived pressure.

Couldn't have said it better my self... Eli was destroyed and still helped the Giants win. Our O-Line didn't have its best game, but c'mon, the QB still has to suck it up and make plays. And for Brunells's part, the guy just steps right into sacks. Sad to say, but he looks slower than Brad Johnson and Drew Bledsoe... Is that possible??

For peope that say the problem is the OL, did you see the end of the Philly NY game. It was a full out blitz, Eli throws it up and Buress catches it. That kind of play will keep people from blitzing in the future. Right now everybody's game plan is going to come to be to come after our QB. As long as people do that the OL is going struggle, and people will continue to bring pressure as long they struggle. To break the cycle, you need to make some deep plays, and that can't happen if the QB won't throw the ball deep. Sometimes you just have to air it out (without throwing an absolute duck).

If you watch, Brunnell drops back way to deep on some of his drops and other times he keeps backing up. That kills the Tackles. A quarterback is suppose to step up in the pocket and take the hit or side step. Watch paeyton, Watch Bledsoe, Watch, Mcnabb, watch Carson Palmer! even Ramsey did it when he was here. Soemtimes sacks are created by the quarterback not just the Oline. Now I have to admit there were sometimes when oline was not great. But remember the one big blitz up the middle that was picked up by the running back and Brunnell was back pedaling and throwing a lame duck! Even Madden said he should have held on the ball another second and could have gotten something big out of it and needs to stop throwing off his back foot!

Archived