Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What this defense may be lacking to put it over the top.

randythesofine

I may get flame for this but its just my observation. This defense is lacking that Linebacker that other teams either fear or hate. I love Marcus Washington and wouldn't trade him for most linebackers but in my opinion he is not feared. He is a good linebacker and deserving of a countless pro bowls but I miss that animal we had in Lavar. The type of linebacker I think would put us over the tops are Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, Brian Urlacher and even the L.T.'s. I think we have that type player in Sean Taylor but he is a safety. What we need is that type of player as a linebacker. Someone feared by both QB's and RB's.

the Redskins defense is facing the perfect storm right now.

Williams can't be as aggressive as he would like because Springs is out and he has to cover deep.

At the same time THREE of the top five defensive linemen, Griffin, Daniels and Wynn all missed time in the preseason with injuries and are just now starting to get into game shape. In fact the Minnesota game was the first game in 3 weeks for both Griffin and Daniels.

So, we weren't rushing or covering near our capabilities on paper on Monday Night.

As far as the linebackers go, Washington is excellent, Marshall is solid.

Where we don't get plays from is the weakside where Holdman is still managing to hold off McIntosh.

Once Williams is convinced that McIntosh is going to play under control and cover his assignments and not freelance, you are going to see the talent level at LB go way up.

McIntosh is only 235 pounds but he makes impact plays on the line of scrimmage and is very fast in pursuit.

As Williams himself said Rocky has skills you can't teach.

the Redskins defense is facing the perfect storm right now.

Williams can't be as aggressive as he would like because Springs is out and he has to cover deep.

At the same time THREE of the top five defensive linemen, Griffin, Daniels and Wynn all missed time in the preseason with injuries and are just now starting to get into game shape. In fact the Minnesota game was the first game in 3 weeks for both Griffin and Daniels.

So, we weren't rushing or covering near our capabilities on paper on Monday Night.

As far as the linebackers go, Washington is excellent, Marshall is solid.

Where we don't get plays from is the weakside where Holdman is still managing to hold off McIntosh.

Once Williams is convinced that McIntosh is going to play under control and cover his assignments and not freelance, you are going to see the talent level at LB go way up.

McIntosh is only 235 pounds but he makes impact plays on the line of scrimmage and is very fast in pursuit.

As Williams himself said Rocky has skills you can't teach.

Holdman looked pretty good on monday night :2cents:

Our defense is not designed for an aggressive, hard-hitting linebacker ... that's why Lavar couldn't find a place in the starting lineup.

It's more important for our linebackers to be able to fill gaps, drop back in coverage, flow to the ball, and make tackles. Of course we would love to have a Ray Lewis or an Urlacher, but I don't actually it's that important in our defensive scheme.

Gregg Williams likes things to be clogged up in the middle so that the secondary can run wild ... it's the corner blitzes and the safety blitzes that give our defense an attacking character. DT, CB, and FS are the most important positions in our defense, and bulldog is right - we need the D-line to shake the rust off, and we need Shawn Springs back.

Archived