Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i was at the game and heres what i saw...

the burgundy and gold

It was cover 2 for a better part of the night I have no clue why we didn't attack the middle of the field with a TE.

Really though Our O did fine and took it up and down the field but struggled in the Redzone which is where the big guys come in, our O line needs to find a blue collar mentality they get too much face time and have people telling them they are great all the time :doh: makes you appreciate Devers O line for not talking to the media. We didn't controll either LOS and all the analys means nothing it starts and ends on the line of scrimmage. If we fix this we will be fine. Look at Kansas City last year where Roaf didn't play they were not nearly as dominate and didn't look close to a top 5 offense.

I was up in section 409 and I was pretty irritated when the wave started... at the end of the 4th quarter? Are you kidding me? Actually I was surprised at the volume... it really wasn't that loud at all where I was sitting. And I was pretty shocked that the stadium was so empty at kickoff.

Wave? it must not have made it out of your section because nothing resembling a wave came close to 453 I was pleasantly surprised.

I was at the game also and what i thought was that the Defense did great on first and second down most of the night - MN was constantly converting the long 3rd downs - and then you had the couple dropped balls by Troy Williamson that would have made it worse.

Not sure if it was all just Carlos , Rumph and Fox were coming in on the 3rd and long package , and Kenny Wright moved inside to cover the slot reciever. Wright got beat several times too. No pressure on Johnson. Marcus almost got him , but Johnson had way too much time.

Brunell threw way too many away. I know he keeps his job cause Coach Joe hates interceptions, but he could have taken a few more chances. It also seemed like Cooley and Sellers were in blocking a lot, and didnt have too many chances to release into the flat. Once in particular, Cooley could have taken it for a long haul up the sidelines, but Brunell threw it right into the hands of the defensive end - almost picked off there.

My thoughts:

1. Much crisper with motioning receivers than last year. Everyone is in position when they need to be in position (meaning fewer delay of game calls).

2. A new wrinkle that I never noticed before is that all of our skill position players join the huddle at the very last second so as to disguise our packages. I think this may have led to a little confusion in the passing game.

3. We rarely, if ever, ran it up the gut. It was pretty bad that we never even tried to establish a power running game. Very unlike Gibbs and what I've seen of the KC offense this past year.

4. With the rarity of the rush, there were barely any play-action passes called. It was really sad because with the speed and quickness we have on the outside, we could have destroyed the vikes play-action. The worst part is that it would have been guaranteed to work considering the amount of Cover 2 the Vikes played.

5. Our corners bite at everything. I don't know what is wrong with Carlos, but I know that his play recognition is lagging far behind at this stage in his development. He also isn't nearly as quick as advertised. Everyone else is average as expected.

6. We played in all the wrong packages at all the wrong times. We'd be in a 3-4 with the backers' playing way off the line, and Johnson would audible to a run. In our base 4-3, we basically never blitzed. As a matter of fact, I think the only time we did blitz was out of the 3-4, and that's when you're expected to blitz at least one linebacker. Every player beyond the D-line seemed to be playing a soft zone. This almost always left a player open in the flats, over the middle, and down-field.

7. Moss was tearing it up when the team was actively trying to get him the ball in the first half. In the second half, it seemed as though he was a decoy on most plays. We had him mostly blocking and running a ton of go routes and post patterns. The vikes got wise and played him man to man with a safety shifted over to his side. There was a lot of nickel/dime man-zone defenses used against us, mostly because we refused to run up the middle.

8. Our offensive line is not very good. Brunell makes them look better than what they really are because of his shiftiness in the pocket and the bootlegs we run. If he had stood still after doing his drop, he would have have been sacked repeatedly. Granted that if we ran the ball more and tired out the Vikes d-line, we might have looked a bit better than what we saw last night.

9. Frost should never kick the ball off. He gets absolutely no hang time or distance on the ball. The punting looked good, though. I think a lot of the issues we're having with Hall is the fact that he is no longer kicking off. When he does hit the field, he goes in cold and with less confidence (what are we saying when we bench him on kickoffs?). Sure he has an injury history, but if he's not playing, what are we paying him for? Would we keep Ade Jimoh off special teams for fear of hurting himself and being unable to play as our fifth corner?

10. I think that every player on our defensive line has lost a step. Griffin got no push up the middle against Hutchinson, which was very unlike last season against the Seahawks. Golston has a ton of potential as a pass-rusher. As a matter of fact, he looked a hell of a lot like a fresher and bigger Griffin at times. Also, we need Renaldo Wynn on the line in some capacity. Him not playing effectively eliminates our ability to stop the run and keep o-linemen from reaching our second level. Wynn is super underrated and has been during his entire Redskins career.

What I think will be the cure-all: More of a power running game, do everything possible to get our players healthy, disguise our defenses better (blitz more), use Hall on kickoffs

I was at the game, section 114, and this happened to me also, it pissed me off to no end.

It is really crazy, but I had this experiene at all places, a Jimmy Buffet concert. I mean really if you are going to a Buffet concert, stand up and dance around or buy the live discs and stay home.

Same with the game, stand up and get into it, or stay home.

(Unless of course you are standing in front of the Wheel Chair spots)

- brunell seems to turn and run under pressure rather than step up into the pocket like Johnson. he sometimes pulls the trigger pretty quick. when he does this his view of the field drops radically.

Brunell drives me nuts with this. Sometimes I realize the pressure forces him to backpedal 10 yards or 5 yards sideways but he seems to get into a pattern of doing it. Even when the pressure up the middle isn't there. The couple times he did step up good things happened.

I was at the game, section 114, and this happened to me also, it pissed me off to no end.

I hear this. I told the guy behind me and his wife to get there ass's up and move up so they can sit. Then he told me how he was not gonna start with a young kid like me and blah blah (few bad words thrown around) I then told him to go buy a jersey and support. Pretty funny. This all on the first play of the game when the injury happened.

I was at the game sitting in the nose-bleeds of section 429.

Don't worry about Al Saunders' offense. It's going to be plain sick once the team gels. First off, I know enough about football to be able to predict the play based on the formation, shifts, etc. at least 80% of the time. With Al Saunders, I had no friggin' clue and neither did the defense. This is a good thing. Seriously, the defense had no friggin' clue what was coming.

Second, the confusion Saunders hits the defense with in his constant shifts and motions left dudes so wide open it wasn't even funny. Once MB gets comfortable, he'll be hitting these guys with his eyes closed. One thing about actually going to the game is that you see the routes developing as opposed to the camera getting stuck on the QB on TV and not knowing what in hell routes the WRs are running. It was an awesome bird's eye view and Saunders' offense is simply a marvel to behold.

In regards to the defense, GW went vanilla in game one. It was a gamble as we lost, but he did not want to expose any strategies for our week 2 showdown against the Pukes. As disappointing as the defensive effort was, I'm not too worried and I expect GW to unleash all bloody hell on Bledsoe and that offensive line. There's no way we're going to give Bledsoe the time we gave Brad Johnson.

Also, this isn't the Vikings of last year fellas. They're a very prepared and well-organized team. Getting rid of the overhyped and negative attitude of Culpepper was the best thing that organization could've done this off-season. They will be in the playoffs.

Archived