Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More Credible than PFT....Portis to get bulk of the carries

Pool Shark

Someone had posted on Warpath.net that they had attended CP BDay party (they were actually working at his party) and they saw Portis moving chairs and tables etc... If your shoulder hurts it would be difficult to move tables and chairs above your head (how this poster described it) take it for what its worth.

:helmet:

I'm more of a WP member than an ES member, so just to clarify, that was one of our members being facecious to a Vikings troll who dropped by the site saying that he knew, "Gibbs' neighbor" and his neighbor said that Portis wouldn't play and that his injury was worse than he thought. So basically don't take either of those opinions seriously.

Cool! So you're saying if I pay for ESPN Insider, I can listen to them speculate about how much/little Portis will play too? Sign me up! :rolleyes:

Post of the day.

More credible than PFT, less credible than Gibbs.

I've always speculated that he will be 100% by week one. I think the coaching staff is giving nothing away as to make Minnesota's planning all the more difficult.:cheers:

Oh sure he does, and thats why he's on a Fantasy Football page instead of actually practicing medicine somewhere :laugh:

As for him having info we don't have, theres this new thing called the internet. Amazing how fast known information travels. And NFL trainers, coaches and FO's don't tell things to reporters and "FFL experts" unless they want them to know it. Only the very best/best known reporters get any kind of scoop about NFL news.

Right...just because someone has medical knowledge about sports injuries means they are qualified to be practicing medicine somewhere. :doh:

The only way we will know if Portis will play is the minute he steps on the field (or doesn't).

Why read any newspaper or magazine or watch TV? Its all speculation...excuse me for trying to inform people that there is a good chance that Portis might play. I forgot how you guys know everything already:stupid:

Right...just because someone has medical knowledge about sports injuries means they are qualified to be practicing medicine somewhere. :doh:

The only way we will know if Portis will play is the minute he steps on the field (or doesn't).

Why read any newspaper or magazine or watch TV? Its all speculation...excuse me for trying to inform people that there is a good chance that Portis might play. I forgot how you guys know everything already:stupid:

:laugh: You miss the point completely.

The mediots and the talking heads dont know anything. Portis didnt say a word after practice, Coach Gibbs used coach speak with the media. Now they are left to peer into their crystal ball :fortune: and make an assumption. You and I could do the exact same thing with the information at hand.

The players have today off. This means there are three days of practice left between now and Monday Night. Portis would have to at least practice Friday and Saturday in order to play. Even if he practices, I still think it will be a gametime decision.

I have never posted rumors on this site, nor do I have the time to share speculative news.

But I heard from a primary source about CP's party.

And it confirms what was written on Warpath....it would be a really ugly coincidence if this guy on WP was making this up.

:dallasuck

I'm more of a WP member than an ES member, so just to clarify, that was one of our members being facecious to a Vikings troll who dropped by the site saying that he knew, "Gibbs' neighbor" and his neighbor said that Portis wouldn't play and that his injury was worse than he thought. So basically don't take either of those opinions seriously.

It's the little things that bother me, from a deceptive injury report to not being able to buy a customized Colts home jersey. Of course, those little things are what make the difference in the NFL, a matter of inches and depth, things that look like luck unless you look closely. The one big thing that bothers me is when experts, people who really understand the game, say that injuries are part of football. Injuries are not purely a random event. Yes, injuries happen without an apparent pattern, but over the course of a season or a career, it's easy to see these patterns. Teams and their medical staffs all try to reduce the number of injuries while front offices try to reduce the effect of injuries. In the end, it's as true in football as baseball that luck is the residue of design.

With two days until kickoff, let's get to the injuries:

Did Ben Roethlisberger desecrate an ancient burial ground, steal a tiki head on vacation, or walk under a ladder as he left the Super Bowl? It's hard to call the Steelers QB anything but unlucky, yet he's got a Super Bowl ring, a big contract and escaped a devastating motorcycle accident with his life. His latest setback, an emergency appendectomy, isn't as serious as it sounds. Appendectomies are now done with a laparoscope, the abdominal equivalent of an arthroscope. The big scar a lot of us sport is now being replaced by a couple incisions of an inch or less and the recovery time is reduced as well. Roethlisberger is out for Week 1, but Week 2 is well within reach with the long layoff between the Thursday season starter and the Monday game in Week 2. He's a much better real QB than he is a fantasy QB, so in most cases, he's just a backup anyway. Beyond Week 1, keep your projections on Roethlisberger about the same -- there will be no long-term consequences.

With Big Ben out for Week 1, Hines Ward becomes a lesser play at WR. Ward has missed much of the preseason with a hamstring strain, but he's ready to go. There's a school of thought that Charlie Batch will be more likely to go to his top target, but there's no evidence to support that across the league. Worse, Ward tends to start out of motion, forcing a hard cut that will strain the hamstring, especially if he's moving to the left of the formation. The hamstring injury alone shouldn't be enough to keep him out of your lineup, but combined with other factors, it's enough to make you check all your options.

The NFL Network's whiparound coverage of the preseason was interesting, or at least as interesting as preseason football can be. Last Friday, Rich Eisen got the final word on Adam Vinatieri and his ankle problem, but couldn't parse the info, actually calling out for some help. Rich, e-mail me and I'll give you my number for the next time you're confronted with a talocalcaneal sprain with minor avulsion. OK, in English now -- Vinatieri has a sprain of a small ligament in his foot, one that resists adduction, or keeps the foot from rolling inward (toward the big toe side). The kicking motion does tax this during the follow-through as the kicker "spins out", though it shouldn't affect the plant itself. A Colts source who saw Vinatieri kick on Friday says that Vinatieri's kickoffs looked unaltered, though slightly shorter than normal. So what was all this about the broken bone? That's the avulsion part mentioned above. When the ligament was stretched, it tore away a small part of the attaching bone. This isn't a big concern as long as the bone fragment doesn't end up in the joint space, where it would act as a bone spur. That's a lot of words about a kicker who will play Week 1, but I think we've all learned something.

So what do we know about Laurence Maroney? Fantastic hair. Powerful running that looked great in the preseason. Injury to his knee. The vague details that normally come out of New England are nothing new, so we'll look to sources and symptoms to help us gauge this. Maroney came back to practice with a small brace on his left knee, far smaller than the braces one would associate with a serious injury. Some think he's having a bit of patellar tendonitis but most point to a mild MCL strain. Missing the final preseason game tells us nothing; Tom Brady missed the game and he's no more than banged up. Maroney remains a solid backup to Corey Dillon, but as with Joseph Addai, the early part of the season likely belongs to the vet.

We've already learned that Darrell Jackson didn't have full range of motion in his surgically repaired knee last week. Now, we see that Mike Holmgren is discussing Deion Branch as an option. Of course, the Branch possibility could say as much about Nate Burleson as it does about Jackson, but are you willing to take that chance? Jackson is a slow healer, a small speed receiver, and the team has other options. That's a mix you don't want. I wouldn't be surprised to see him very limited in the first couple weeks of the season.

Bumps & Bruises: Brian Westbrook? He's healthy. Period. Anyone who tries to tell you differently is wrong. … Roy Williams' groin strain won't keep him out of the Lions' new attack. It might affect his jumps in the red zone more than anything else. … Who else drafted Clinton Portis early? Good, I like to see smart people get rewarded. Portis will get the bulk of carries in Week 1. … Matt Leinart was listed as having a sprained shoulder, but he described a subluxation. He does have a history of non-throwing shoulder problems going all the way back to high school, so this is a nice data point. He'll have plenty of time to heal.

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=injuries5&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

we have a keeper league and I tried to trade for Portis. Offered the 2nd pick in the entire draft and the guy had kept 5 RB's out of 8 possible players to keep. He could've given me Portis, had the #2 and #6 picks to get the best WR's available and still have depth at RB. By the way, the guy has been doing this with us for 10 years and has never won a championship. Gee, I wonder why I have 7 trophies in 16 years on my shelf.

Someone had posted on Warpath.net that they had attended CP BDay party (they were actually working at his party) and they saw Portis moving chairs and tables etc... If your shoulder hurts it would be difficult to move tables and chairs above your head (how this poster described it) take it for what its worth.

:helmet:

Am i the only one who doesn't think warpath.net is a real site? check it out for yourself.

www.warpath.net

Archived