Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunnell's hurt again, Campbell's time is now!!!!

TheShredder

Well, I agree. Let's face it, this is probably Mark's final year. To all the people clinging on to him they need to start letting go and stop insisting that we are doomed without him! Basically what you all are saying is show me the Super Bowl NOW! Who cares about what is best for the future of this team.

What is Jason going to really learn in one more year sitting on the bench? I'm betting not a whole lot! If people don't think he is ready now we might as well be trading for another QB and I haven't seen ONE post about this!

I just don't believe in coaches today trying to reinvent the wheel at the QB position! If he's a player he needs to play if not get rid of him! If you compare Brunell to Campbell the only thing people want to argue is that Mark is a better decesion maker. There is no arguing the physical abilities and I haven't seen anything that makes me believe Jason is a bad decesion maker.

Jason by far gives us the best playmaking abilities at the position. With all the talent around him I have no doubt he could get the job done. He's accurate and throws a better deep ball. Mark dosen't have a bad arm but he has to wind up to throw it deep wich affects his accuracy. Here's another MAJOR thing I have noticed. Who looks more likely to fumble the ball while in the pocket and under pressure? Brunell by far in my opinion.

:whew: I just had to let that out!

I think Brunell gives us THE best chance to win this year. Campbell's a gifted athlete. When you ask him about his comfort level though, even he doesn't sound all that confident. We don't need a gunslinger to go deep into the playoffs, we need someone who can manage the offense. Brunell can do it. Guys toss around the words 'sure he won't lose the game for you...', but they undervalue that. Games ARE lost, lots of them, every weekend, because the QB takes unnecessary risks. The teams that generally get to the big show aren't usually there because they've got the most gifted QB in the league at the helm.

I love Campbell, but he's not ready yet. Its laughable really - he's never...thats N-E-V-E-R started a single, thats S-I-N-G-L-E NFL regular season game. Trying to argue we should entrust our season on someone who's essentially an unknown quantity over one that had a more than solid QB rating over the entire season last year....it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

If Mark goes down, and JC is deemed the man to take over, then we go with it and hope he's all we've been hoping for. But I see no way you place him above Mark on the depth chart today.

I love Campbell, but he's not ready yet. Its laughable really - he's never...thats N-E-V-E-R started a single, thats S-I-N-G-L-E NFL regular season game. Trying to argue we should entrust our season on someone who's essentially an unknown quantity over one that had a more than solid QB rating over the entire season last year....it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Okay, where was all this Brunell support his first year here? He was given a chance to redeem himself after failing miserabley his first year here. People were up in arms about Ramsey not playing! I don't think it would be possible for Jason to do any worse than Mark did his first year here. Let's think about this also, we added players the 2nd year wich made Brunell better also.

so tired of same old subject. we all know mark is the man this year, as long as he can go. everyone should know this by now. the first good game mark has all the faint of heart will disappear until something bad happens.

I'm not faint of heart. I think Mark without doubt can get the job done! I'm just saying that I think Jason could too and it would make him and the team better for next year when Mark is gone!

Seriously, for the people who got to have Mark at QB this year where does that leave the team for next year? Are you saying Jason will be ready then? If so in what major ways is he going to improve this year by sitting on the bench?

I honestly don't know but It just dosen't make sense to me to play a guy who has one more year left then expect this team to pick up where it left off with a guy who has been sitting on the bench his whole career. I just think he could get the job done this year and it would be wise to let him play if your looking for the team to be better next year. :whoknows:

Okay, where was all this Brunell support his first year here? He was given a chance to redeem himself after failing miserabley his first year here. People were up in arms about Ramsey not playing! I don't think it would be possible for Jason to do any worse than Mark did his first year here. Let's think about this also, we added players the 2nd year wich made Brunell better also.

Thats not the point. We had no legitimate expectation to make post-season noise that year. And we're not operating in a vacuum. Whether you're a harsh critic of Brunell's every mistake, or an apologist for them, he's coming off a solid year. Solid. Gibbs risked little giving Brunell a 2nd chance (and may have known something we largely didn't - that he played hurt a good part of the previous year). We risk much much more starting Jason before he's ready.

He'll get his chance. I'm not really sure why folks feel the need to thrust it upon him. He hasn't done enough to show he's an upgrade over Brunell.

Too bad Gibbs wont let any of the other QBs play with the 1st team, but he knows that Collins or Campbell would look better, so he continues to protect his boy.

Thats as wayward a post as I've ever seen. So, according to you, Gibbs knows Brunell is the worst of the 3 and starts him anyway? The logical next step in that line of thinking is that Gibbs cares nothing about winning.

Riiiiiight.

Thats not the point. We had no legitimate expectation to make post-season noise that year. And we're not operating in a vacuum. Whether you're a harsh critic of Brunell's every mistake, or an apologist for them, he's coming off a solid year. Solid. Gibbs risked little giving Brunell a 2nd chance (and may have known something we largely didn't - that he played hurt a good part of the previous year). We risk much much more starting Jason before he's ready.

He'll get his chance. I'm not really sure why folks feel the need to thrust it upon him. He hasn't done enough to show he's an upgrade over Brunell.

I think your missing my point. I didn't really explain myself in full. In no way am I saying Jason is a better QB right now. What I am saying is I think Jason is good enough to get the job done and it would help him and the team out in years to come.

We are going to have expectations of making the post season next year but we will have a QB that has not played a single game. Something has to give. That just dosen't mix well at all! I'm just saying if you don't have faith in him this year I don't see what is going to change your mind come next year. I would be willing to live with some of the mistakes he might make this year because I believe the players around him are good enough to make up for it.

I think Brunell gives us THE best chance to win this year. Campbell's a gifted athlete. When you ask him about his comfort level though, even he doesn't sound all that confident.

There's a reason for this - he hasn't played. Guess what, next year when Brunell is broken down and looking worse in training camp and preseason and quite possibly over the hill Cambell won't sound all that confident then either. You know why? Because he still won't have played.

We don't need a gunslinger to go deep into the playoffs, we need someone who can manage the offense. Brunell can do it.

There is really no evidence to suggest that if Cambell were starting for the Washington Redskins that he would be recklessly slining the ball around ala Brett Favre. In fact, every scouting report and review from current coaches to past, and from scouts suggest otherwise. Cambell is purported to be a very accurate passer and an excellent game manager. At Auburn they had a similiar situation. Excellent ground game and talent around Cambell and all he was asked to do was manage the game and make plays here and there. I've yet to see any evidence that he couldn't do the same here.

Guys toss around the words 'sure he won't lose the game for you...', but they undervalue that. Games ARE lost, lots of them, every weekend, because the QB takes unnecessary risks. The teams that generally get to the big show aren't usually there because they've got the most gifted QB in the league at the helm.

This in its very essence is an amusing theory because it can be argued that Brunell's lackluster play due to injury nearly lost us the Tampa game and lost us the Seattle game. Yes, we were unable to run the ball in Seattle due to OL injury, but that still casts perplexing doubt on our absolute inability to pass the ball consistently throughout the second half of the season. I suppose that's ok if you're playing the wishbone QB option set or something, but this isn't Nebraska of the NCAA, you have to be able to pass the ball consistently thorugh the air in the NFL.

It's no suprise that at our most successful offensive moments last year we were a dual threat. However, as the season wore on Brunell's play receeded and as such we had to increasingly rely on the running game to bail us out of our inability to pose a threat through the air. The result was a banged up Clinton Portis who also was not as effective in the playoffs. This domino effect can all be traced back to Brunell's inability to stay healthy. And it's not as if this was only after his knee injury, he showed signs of decline before the Giants catastrophe that only magnitized his shortcomings.

Using your logic Bill Cowher should have just thrown in the towel. What is laughable is the suggestion that a team with a young QB with little experience cannot succeed. Ben Rothliesburger, Dan Marino, etc. I'm sure there are more than those off the top of my head who came in at a young age and performed. The key to those teams is that they had veteran and established players at key positions surrounding them that invariably were a crucial factor in their immediate success. There is nothing on the current Redskins team that suggests the same could not happen. To argue otherwise when the team is stacked with veterans and Cambell would not be REQUIRED to do it all himself is in fact, quite laughable.

If Mark goes down, and JC is deemed the man to take over, then we go with it and hope he's all we've been hoping for. But I see no way you place him above Mark on the depth chart today.

I don't think it's "if" but when. Brunell has been breaking down since his Jacksonville days. When healthy he's quite good, but it was the elbow and concussion in Jacksonville, the knee and hamstring in Washington. And now the groin. What's next?

I think Brunell gives us THE best chance to win this year. Campbell's a gifted athlete. When you ask him about his comfort level though, even he doesn't sound all that confident. We don't need a gunslinger to go deep into the playoffs, we need someone who can manage the offense. Brunell can do it. Guys toss around the words 'sure he won't lose the game for you...', but they undervalue that. Games ARE lost, lots of them, every weekend, because the QB takes unnecessary risks. The teams that generally get to the big show aren't usually there because they've got the most gifted QB in the league at the helm.

Final jeopardy: Who is Aaron Brooks?

:bsflag: :sucks: :stfu:

If I read one more Start Jason Campell Now thread I might lose my mind. Have you seen him in preseason? He's been throwing picks just like Mark. Yes, the kid throws a pretty ball, but you gotta know where to throw it in this system. He's learned 6 different schemes in 6 years. If Brunell goes down late in the season or comes up gimpy again then I will treat a thread like this as a rationale idea. Until that point, anyone who starts one of these should get a Village Idiot avatar.

time to move JC to #2 a talent like that!!!!!!!!!!!

its time,move him up towards starting. MB is our starter and should start, struggling with nagging injuries taking us to 2nd round in playoffs, i think he will be more than ok this year

Is there any way that we could get Kitna from Detroit?

We will need a veteran for next year. Campbell may not ever be up to starting. He could turn out to be a career backup. Hey there are worse ways to make a living.

Cheers

Campell has learned 6 different schemes in 6 years. Our veteran for next year will be Mark Brunell. I say he stays another year to help Campell along. It will probably be an open competition for the starting job next season. Brunell will be a great backup for Campell. Why are you down on JC? He may not ever be up to starting? He's got all the tools, all he needs to do is learn this system, like the 6 others he's had to learn. Its all about being comfortable in the system at this level. Lighten up blloyd33, we don't need Kitna. Brunell/Campell this year Campell/Brunell next year, take it to the bank.

There's a reason for this - he hasn't played. Guess what, next year when Brunell is broken down and looking worse in training camp and preseason and quite possibly over the hill Cambell won't sound all that confident then either. You know why? Because he still won't have played. Are you suggesting Brunell hasn't looked good to date? Based on what? I've seen a lot more of him than you have, and he's looked sharp. I think you do have a point related to confidence - you can't get it without the playing time, I agree

There is really no evidence to suggest that if Cambell were starting for the Washington Redskins that he would be recklessly slining the ball around ala Brett Favre. Thats great - only problem is, I didn't suggest he would be, so argue that point with someone who did

In fact, every scouting report and review from current coaches to past, and from scouts suggest otherwise. Cambell is purported to be a very accurate passer and an excellent game manager. Lets be honest here - they aren't going to tell you and I what they think - they have a vested interest in keeping Campbell in the right place mentally. Thats not to suggest he's not making progress. But if the coaching staff felt he were better at managing the offense, he'd be slated to be the starter At Auburn they had a similiar situation. Excellent ground game and talent around Cambell and all he was asked to do was manage the game and make plays here and there. I've yet to see any evidence that he couldn't do the same here.I don't think you really want to go down this path. There are countless college QB stars who's names we'd barely recognize because they couldn't handle the NFL game. Again, I don't believe Campbell will be one of those guys, but the coaching staff is not going to chalk this season up to a transition year when we've got a QB we KNOW can at least minimize the mistakes enough to get us to the playoffs.

This in its very essence is an amusing theory because it can be argued that Brunell's lackluster play due to injury nearly lost us the Tampa game and lost us the Seattle game. Yes, we were unable to run the ball in Seattle due to OL injury, but that still casts perplexing doubt on our absolute inability to pass the ball consistently throughout the second half of the season. I really don't follow the logic here - you have to have a healthy effective o-line and capable wide-receivers to have an effective passing game, not just a QB with a great arm. I don't think its fair to either Brunell or Campbell to play 'what if'. The team lost the Seattle game. I suppose that's ok if you're playing the wishbone QB option set or something, but this isn't Nebraska of the NCAA, you have to be able to pass the ball consistently thorugh the air in the NFL.

It's no suprise that at our most successful offensive moments last year we were a dual threat. However, as the season wore on Brunell's play receeded and as such we had to increasingly rely on the running game to bail us out of our inability to pose a threat through the air. I can't argue that point The result was a banged up Clinton Portis who also was not as effective in the playoffs. Your opinion. We ran more, but I'd argue it was because of the health of our wide recievers, not necessarily because of Brunell's play. This domino effect can all be traced back to Brunell's inability to stay healthy. And it's not as if this was only after his knee injury, he showed signs of decline before the Giants catastrophe that only magnitized his shortcomings.

Using your logic Bill Cowher should have just thrown in the towel. What is laughable is the suggestion that a team with a young QB with little experience cannot succeed. Ben Rothliesburger, Dan Marino, etc. I'm sure there are more than those off the top of my head who came in at a young age and performed. Huh? What are you talking about? Of course there are guys who come into this league and light it up. About 1 in every 50 drafted QBs :) Good luck with that argument. And knock off pretending I don't think highly of Campbell - I like him, a lot. I just don't think turning over the reigns to a rookie QB (thats what he is) when you have a chance to make a run, makes any sense at all. I'll argue you all day long if you say differently. The key to those teams is that they had veteran and established players at key positions surrounding them that invariably were a crucial factor in their immediate success. There is nothing on the current Redskins team that suggests the same could not happen. Theres nothing to suggest its guaranteed to happen either To argue otherwise when the team is stacked with veterans and Cambell would not be REQUIRED to do it all himself is in fact, quite laughable.What would you say if I told you those same veteran players universally would prefer Brunell? I don't know that to be the case, but its my guess. Would that alter your view here? Just curious.

I don't think it's "if" but when. Brunell has been breaking down since his Jacksonville days. When healthy he's quite good, but it was the elbow and concussion in Jacksonville, the knee and hamstring in Washington. And now the groin. What's next?So you're arguing that Campbell taking over for Brunell is inevitable? Okay, we finally found something we can agree on. Its called a 'backup QB'.

I didnt read this whole thing because I didn't feel like it but forrrreeeeal like Campbell is mad gifted physically but he needs to get his confidence and swagger up, I hear he is quiet and apprehensive and even his cadence is really low and hard to hear.

Campell has learned 6 different schemes in 6 years. Our veteran for next year will be Mark Brunell. I say he stays another year to help Campell along. It will probably be an open competition for the starting job next season. Brunell will be a great backup for Campell. Why are you down on JC? He may not ever be up to starting? He's got all the tools, all he needs to do is learn this system, like the 6 others he's had to learn. Its all about being comfortable in the system at this level. Lighten up blloyd33, we don't need Kitna. Brunell/Campell this year Campell/Brunell next year, take it to the bank.

I'm light. Like a cloud in pants.

Evidently Campbell has not yet learned not to throw off of his right foot in 6 years. Witness his interception, and post game interview last week.

I prefer to decide what is bankable if it is all the same to you.

Cheers

I want to win this year. Start Brunell.

You know, all he did last year was get us to the SECOND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS.

u mustve been watching different games. it was portis and the defense. not brunell.

the thread starter makes a legit statment and most of u are just ignoring it. pretty sad.

the fact is, brunell didnt take us to the second round of the playoffs. what ever happend to " football is a team sport" by the way?

i dont know about most of skins fans but i myself find it annoying that Brunell is hurt one way or the other and the first season by him not telling us was devastating.

the fact is, this guy brunell is old now. when brunell first came to washingon, ive said " he isnt getting any younger and we need to step it up right away," but im done saying that about brunell. some how brunell takes us deep to the playoffs this yr, ill be happy but i wont get all excited due to his age. i just cant see brunell playing and getting any better than what he is now. gibb's won 3 super bowls with 3 different QBs. they werent the best nor the worst but one thing is for sure, they were all veteran Qbs. If Gibbs is to win a super bowl with brunell , Brunell would be the oldest out of the 4 Qbs Gibbs has won with. take that any way u want.

Archived