Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Rumph

redskns21

Out of curiosity, how much PT did he get. I am looking at the game stats on nfl.com and Rumph doesn't have a single stat. Also was he running against the Jets first string, or second and third?

I don't reckon being a shut-down corner against the third string is anything worth hyping up.

Finally how did Battle and Wright do. They each have a few tackles, were they in support or were they after getting burned?

Thanks (I can't watch the games out here in the land down under so this is my only connection to the world of Skins)

He was out there playing with the 1st and second string.

What is more impressive is that Rumph is playing decently even though he has been on the team for only a week.

Another corner that is showing some grit is that guy Battle whom the Skins also brought in last week.

If Rumph, Wright, and some of these other young backup DBs step up, wow, the secondary could actually be a position of great depth for the Redskins, instead of one of their biggest weaknesses.

Agreed. Rumph did show more than i expected, but i really do feel that battle stepped up and looked good.

Here's all you need to know about corners like Wright and Rumph. You didn't hear their names, or notice their play. For guys that are meant to be solid and not stars, that's the best possible thing for a corner. No news is good news on the islands out there.

True. However, I was focusing on watching him and was very impressed with the way he played. He made some nice tackles and some nice plays in coverage. He made one play, on a 20 yard comeback where he broke as soon as the ball went in the air, he closed on the reciever and got his left hand out in front of the recievers hands and batted the ball down. It was a textbook pass defense. I didn't watch Battle as much but I saw him make a few plays, too. Honestly, both Rumph and Battle looked better than anyone except Springs and Rogers has so far in camp or preseason. I'm really curious to see how Jimoh does when he gets back in the mix. I have high hopes for him this season.

First thing i thought was i cant believe we got something that has any value for Jacobs.....

I think with some time and some coaching he could be a good back up and fill in where needed.... remember he has only been with the team for a week.... he didnt look too bad... i saw a few times when he was out of place or missed a tackle... but overall i liked what i saw to add depth....

Rumph is a keeper. He can only get better with Greg Williams and Jerry Gray "coahing him up." We may have a true #1 draft pick to replace Shawn Springs as a starter by next year. Springs has been nicked and bruised and injured often since he got here and even before he got here. I think the Skins need to seriously take a look at someone in the first round next year if Rumph doesn't work out, but so far so good. Great potential.

Archived