Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell and the "It" factor?

SKINZ33

Campbell will be a premeir quarterback in the NFL soon. He may need a couple more years to develop, but he will be one that's talked about for years to come. His style is fluent, his arm is amazing, his legs are fast, his overall size is good, and he can move. He was a great pickup, and I for one, cannot wait to see him take this team over.

couple more years?

Campbell will be a premeir quarterback in the NFL soon. He may need a couple more years to develop, but he will be one that's talked about for years to come. His style is fluent, his arm is amazing, his legs are fast, his overall size is good, and he can move. He was a great pickup, and I for one, cannot wait to see him take this team over.

I hope it's not a couple more years.

I saw the game 3 times last night..yeah I'm a freak so what!

1. Campbell has great pocket awareness..knows when to sidestep pressure but his release has to get quicker

2. Good vision down the field - Even when he knows he's going to get hit, he stands in there and throws a beautiful ball - Negative - Sometimes locks into a reciever too long

3. Beautfull touch on the long and intermediate throws. This guy is good but only expereince will he get better.

I think all of us forgot he played a good game yesterday. Know I want to see him progress in his weakness areas and also play against a better defence.

His accuracy is really good also!

I agree with you all the way, I would add to the locking into long thing is just taking too long to release. I am not sure if this will ever change but if it does not it will cause fumbles.

JC is going to be a great QB in this league sooner rather than later. For some reason people talk about him like he's this HUGE project or something.

He's got the physical skills and he's a bright kid. Once he gets the reps he's going to be fine.

He'll be the starter in 2007 and I think he'll hit the ground running, like Phillip Rivers will this year.

"IT" is when everyone on the field holds their breath because they know that you can win the game onthe last drive in the 4th quarter. It comes with performing in big games under pressure.

Tiny, baby-faced assassin, noodle-armed Joe Montana had "it".

Roger Staubach (damn him) had "it".

John Elway had "it".

Bret Favre had "it" then lost "it".

Sonny had "it".

Jason Campbell may be a promising kid, but he won't have "it" until he delivers in the clutch. I agree with Madden in that he looks like an NFL QB. He has a cannon arm, much stronger than I thought even having watched him at Auburn. He's accurate. He reads his progression and slides in the pocket. He keeps his eyes downfield.

When the other team watches you in the 4th instead of sitting on the bench, you have "it".

There was one sequence in the Cincy game where Jesse Campbell threw to White in the flat for a short gain; then handed a draw to Broughton who stoned Ahmed Brooks for a 5 yard gain making it 3rd and 3; and then threw to the opposite flat to Farris cutting over the first down marker before going out of bounds. Thats "it."

You know who Jason Campbell reminds me of? Jason Campbell.

What? What kind of nonsense is this?

But it's true. Jason Campbell right now reminds me of Jason Campbell when he was a Junior at Auburn - very methodical, almost robotic, but still showing great tools. It's just another sign that Campbell isn't very comfortable in the offense. Yet.

When he finally got comfortable during his senior year at Auburn you could see the way he was finding dump-off receivers, going through his progressions with little effort while avoiding the pass rush, throwing 40 yard passes with outstanding accuracy, all while delivering in the clutch.

I expect a really big jump in Campbell's performance next year, after a full season in this offense and another full off-season of work. Hopefully, he'll start to look like the QB of his Senior year at Auburn. But he's not there yet. Not even close.

Until then, the Redskins still have a young QB with great tools, whose confidence is still being built up, and is trying to learn the proper way to play QB in Saunders' system. Nothing teaches bad habits to a young QB like being thrown in the fire. A young QB is more worried about avoiding the rush and trying to move a football team than things like footwork and properly going through his progressions - things Saunders said Campbell needs to work on.

So, while I agree Jason Campbell has the tools you're looking for in a QB, I don't think he has the tools Saunders wants right now - veteran QB that can quickly read defenses and can quickly and accurately get rid of the football.

It's both a blessing and a curse that Saunders came over. If the Gibbs offense had stayed the same, Jason would undoubtedly be much more comfortable, and much closer to being game ready since Gibbs placed less emphasis on short drops (since he was in to max protection) and as a result, Campbell probably could have done well in that system that had slower reads for the QB.

But with Saunders' arrival Campbell is learning what it takes to be a QB in a 2006 offense, and not a modified 1991 offense. It's just going to take a little more time.

Archived