Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell's motion

blloyd33

The evidence is there for all to see.

Right on the WP sports page.

There is a big picture of Jason in the middle of his motion.

The ball is down by his waist. Terrible position. Looks more like Randall Cunningham than Warren Moon.

Take a look and tell us what you think.

What did you think of McNairs motion....the positive and I think what everybody is missing, he was out manned with those WR's etc against the number 1 ravens D. And the positive, he didnt turn the ball over and he actually beat the blitz once by running but it didnt mean anything out there.

Ignore this. :troll:

The ball is down by his waist. Terrible position. Looks more like Randall Cunningham than Warren Moon.

I'll take Randall Cunningham.:)

Can you be more specific about your concerns, I don't really see an issue. Its funny, because in my mind, the one issue we don't need to be concerned about is his ability to throw the ball. He appears to me to be very accurate (and how he holds the ball would only impact that aspect). Its the mental side of the game, knowing when to throw and when not to that is more concerning to me.

Actually he was coming back from a pump fake on the play if I remember correctly, that is not his motion at all.

Campbell threw a few in the dirt. OK. Reminds me of another QB (in his younger years) that we're familiar with and used to terrorize us. McNabb turned out fine...it's nothing to worry about just yet. This season is Brunell's anyway.

Couldn't find any white QBs to compare him to?

XX that would make sense. Ball is really low.

Tarhog, it will impact how quickly that to can release the ball. As in timing.

Its all relative. He's exponentially quicker than either of our other two QBs. Its quite possible regardless of where he holds the ball, his athleticism may allow him to get the ball off quicker. I asked Campbell and others (including coaches) about his 'mechanics'. The general consensus was it wasn't relevant. The only valid concern in my mind (and I do think that photo highlights this issue) is that when you carry it low, I think you're at greater risk for someone slapping it out of your grasp. On the other hand, Ramsey could never sell the play-action to save his life precisely because he couldn't comfortably carry the ball low. So it might not be a weakness in every scenario. Btw, Collins tends to carry the ball in a similarly low fashion.

I was looking for his mechanics, and he seemed to leave the center with the ball high, grasped between both hands just be low his chin, textbook like. He has a big wind up, but it seemed quick to me. He has such long arms, it just lookds dfferent.

I believe that I have read that Jason's wind up was a concern.

Fundamentals always matter. That is what individual drills are for.

Read it where? I've asked the man himself. His response (1:35 mark) is that no one's said anything about being concerned with his mechanics. I've asked the coaches. He's got very long arms, as he references.

Carrying the ball low isn't an issue of 'mechanics' - if its a problem, its simply a bad habit, like staring down the primary receiver, that can be corrected. I'm not saying you're not raising a valid issue. But basing it on a photo or two seems a little silly.

I don't mean any harm but how many QBs have you coached? I ask for several reasons. First, Cunningham had perfect mechanics. The combination of his footwork and upper-body motion was second to none. Addtionally, he got the ball way back behind his head when he threw, yet his motion was smooth and fluid.

Second, by the time a QB is at the NFL level coaches don't screw around with their throwing motion too much because comfort and results become more important. Take a look at Dan Marino (spelling). He had the quick release b/c he rarely pulled the back past his ear; he threw from his shoulder. So Danny did not have mechanics that you could teach a kid with, but we cannot argue with his results.

I think Gibbs even said something about this in one of his recent press conferences. Something about not goofing around with his throwing motion yet focusing on his footwork and positioning (depth) in the pocket because he such a big guy. Consistency in where he sets up in the pocket..... and "we're not goofing around with his throwin motion...the kid has a strong arm".

Of course not, don't you know its only the black QB's who's "mechanics and fundamentals" are taken into question constantly? ;)

It's really not that but it does seem that when comparing athletes people subconciously pick people of the same race to compare to for whatever reason. You never, for example, hear anyone saying a black player is the next Larry Bird.

Just like there is no 'one correct' batting stance everyone has a different throwing motion.

Archived