Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have a pic/vid of the Ken Houston-Walt Garrison play?

Hogie

And if you don't know what that is, please do some research before you call yourself a real Redskins fan. It's only one of the top 5 plays in Redskins history. I've tried googling it many times with no luck.

:dallasuck

#44 for Dallas was Robert Newhouse.

Without a doubt, the Ken Houston play was definitely top five all time. Walt Garrison was going in for the game winning score, if memory serves me correctly, and Kenny Houston stopped him cold at the one yard line to save the day. I really wish some of those games were available. I was very young then, but I definitely remember it because of the joy that it brought my father, and consequently me.

And if you don't know what that is, please do some research before you call yourself a real Redskins fan. It's only one of the top 5 plays in Redskins history. I've tried googling it many times with no luck.

:dallasuck

I'll never forget that play, and it wasn't just a top Redskin play. It was one of the greatest plays in NFL history. What's Ken doing now?

And if you don't know what that is, please do some research before you call yourself a real Redskins fan. It's only one of the top 5 plays in Redskins history.

Certainly one of the greatest. I saw it and still remember it vividly, but top five? I can think of five greater:

1. Riggins' 4th & 1 TD run in Super Bowl XVII

2. Darrell Green's TD punt return against the Bears in the '87 season

playoffs

3. Darryl Grant's TD interception return against the Cowboys in the '82

season playoffs

4. Charley Taylor's TD reception (bomb against Mark Washington) against

the Cowboys in the '72 NFC Championship game.

5. Santana's second TD grab against the Cowboys last year in Dallas or the

Darrell Green's 4th down deflection at the goal line against the Vikings in

the '87 season NFC Championship game - take your pick.

Those are five that come to mind, but then I've probably forgotten more than you've seen, son.

Please don't try to elevate yourself above other "real Redskin fans" just because they may not be aware of that memorable play. I'm sure there are many out there.

Certainly one of the greatest. I saw it and still remember it vividly, but top five? I can think of five greater:

playoffs

season playoffs

Those are five that come to mind, but then I've probably forgotten more than you've seen, son.

Please don't try to elevate yourself above other "real Redskin fans" just because they may not be aware of that memorable play. I'm sure there are many out there.

Nice list. I could debate the order just a tad, but you definitely covered the top 5 plays I remember. I wish I had been alive for Taylor's catch you referenced.

playoffs

season playoffs

I agree, very nice list.

The way I remeber it, the skins were ahead by 3 or 4. Dallas ball at midfield, desperation pass, clock expires after snap. Houston is doubling a WR (w/DG?) and he should have been on Garrison. Staubach hits Garrison at around the 32. KH is back at the fourty, but he somehow, SOMEHOW?? closes the gap, catches WG at the 1, then little Kenny STOPS BOTH THEIR FORWARD MOMENTUMS, PICKS A LARGER WG UP, SPINS HIM AROUND AND THROWS HIM DOWN at the 2. Game over. Boys cry. Nearly superhuman effort.

I was young and that was a long time ago, I try not to let my B&G shades cloud the facts, but does anyone have a better recollection?

The way I remeber it, the skins were ahead by 3 or 4. Dallas ball at midfield, desperation pass, clock expires after snap. Houston is doubling a WR (w/DG?) and he should have been on Garrison. Staubach hits Garrison at around the 32. KH is back at the fourty, but he somehow, SOMEHOW?? closes the gap, catches WG at the 1, then little Kenny STOPS BOTH THEIR FORWARD MOMENTUMS, PICKS A LARGER WG UP, SPINS HIM AROUND AND THROWS HIM DOWN at the 2. Game over. Boys cry. Nearly superhuman effort.

I was young and that was a long time ago, I try not to let my B&G shades cloud the facts, but does anyone have a better recollection?

Way, way off. Craig Morton was the quarterback. The Redskins were up by seven. The ball was inside the ten. Morton was looking for receivers as the offensive line collapsed. In in-the-grasp-desperation he sidearmed it to Garrison, who caught it with his feet off the ground at the goal line. Houston was able to wrap him up before his feet touched the ground and pull him back from the goal line.

I'll never forget the picture from the endzone on the front page of the Post the next day of Houston pulling Garrison back with his feet off the ground. That was the key to the stop. Houston was able to wrap him up while his feet were off the ground.

It was the last play of the game, as time expired.

I can't think of any spectacular plays from JG leaving until LA had that season turning interception.

You're right on. That play came to mind, as far as bigger plays in Redskin history. That play righted the 2001 tailspin.

In 1973, the Redskins were coming off a Super Bowl appearence. They had nothing to prove after annilating the Cowboys in the '72 NFC Championship game. Ken Houston's stop was a huge play, one that preserved a win over the Cowboys in the regular season, but in the end the Cowboys won the NFC East and the Redskins lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Vikings.

playoffs

season playoffs

I'd put the following at #2: Ravin Caldwell, somehow, by divine intervention, coming up with the recovery after Ricky Sanders fumbled the kickoff after the Broncos had gone up 10-0 in Super Bowl XXII. He fails to come up with that, we're looking at being down 17-0.

Clarification: People always seem to attribute Darrell with knocking down that pass to Darin Howard vs. the Vikings. He didn't. The pass was thrown a little wide of the mark and glanced off Howard's hands. Even if he had caught it, he'd have been short of the goal line. Darrell was defending on the play and certainly provided good coverage, but he didn't knock the ball away.

Clarification: People always seem to attribute Darrell with knocking down that pass to Darin Howard vs. the Vikings. He didn't. The pass was thrown a little wide of the mark and glanced off Howard's hands. Even if he had caught it, he'd have been short of the goal line. Darrell was defending on the play and certainly provided good coverage, but he didn't knock the ball away.

You mean Darrin Nelson. But it wasn't Green or Nelson. It was God.

How are things in the NG? :-)

You mean Darrin Nelson. But it wasn't Green or Nelson. It was God.

How are things in the NG? :-)

That's right, Nelson, not Howard. I'm not as sharp on my obscure Viking running backs as I used to be. (Dave Osborne anyone?) I'm still amused that everyone thinks Darrell knocked that pass down.

As far as the Redskins Usenet group...beats me, haven't been there in ages. Once everyone found this place, there was little reason for it, save as a forum for one nutjob and a megalomaniac to waste bandwidth.

That's right, Nelson, not Howard. I'm not as sharp on my obscure Viking running backs as I used to be. (Dave Osborne anyone?) I'm still amused that everyone thinks Darrell knocked that pass down.

As far as the Redskins Usenet group...beats me, haven't been there in ages. Once everyone found this place, there was little reason for it, save as a forum for one nutjob and a megalomaniac to waste bandwidth.

Well, I always enjoyed your in-depth retorts to Spizz's outrageous off-the-wall comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOIw4axXGg&search=redskins%20dallas

if im correct, then that play should be early on in the video.

Nice job! It's the first play you see. I'll never forget that play. I was young, but won my first bet on that game (5 bucks!)! I remember Garrison's futile attempt to lateral the ball, but as I recall, the play was called dead before the ball came out.

Hail,

H

Archived