Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone have a pic/vid of the Ken Houston-Walt Garrison play?

Hogie

I'd put the following at #2: Ravin Caldwell, somehow, by divine intervention, coming up with the recovery after Ricky Sanders fumbled the kickoff after the Broncos had gone up 10-0 in Super Bowl XXII. He fails to come up with that, we're looking at being down 17-0.

Clarification: People always seem to attribute Darrell with knocking down that pass to Darin Howard vs. the Vikings. He didn't. The pass was thrown a little wide of the mark and glanced off Howard's hands. Even if he had caught it, he'd have been short of the goal line. Darrell was defending on the play and certainly provided good coverage, but he didn't knock the ball away.

You're absolutley right. As I remember (now), DG hit him from behind after the ball went off his hands. The ball was thrown low and outside. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why I came to believe DG deflected it, but you jogged my memory.

As for putting Raven Caldwell's fumble recovery ahead of Darrell's punt return, the Redskins might well have not made it to Super Bowl XXII for Caldwell's recovery had DG not scored on the punt return.

Way, way off. Craig Morton was the quarterback. The Redskins were up by seven. The ball was inside the ten. Morton was looking for receivers as the offensive line collapsed. In in-the-grasp-desperation he sidearmed it to Garrison, who caught it with his feet off the ground at the goal line. Houston was able to wrap him up before his feet touched the ground and pull him back from the goal line.

I'll never forget the picture from the endzone on the front page of the Post the next day of Houston pulling Garrison back with his feet off the ground. That was the key to the stop. Houston was able to wrap him up while his feet were off the ground.

It was the last play of the game, as time expired.

Yep, that's how I remember it.

Certainly one of the greatest. I saw it and still remember it vividly, but top five? I can think of five greater:

1. Riggins' 4th & 1 TD run in Super Bowl XVII

2. Darrell Green's TD punt return against the Bears in the '87 season

playoffs

3. Darryl Grant's TD interception return against the Cowboys in the '82

season playoffs

4. Charley Taylor's TD reception (bomb against Mark Washington) against

the Cowboys in the '72 NFC Championship game.

5. Santana's second TD grab against the Cowboys last year in Dallas or the

Darrell Green's 4th down deflection at the goal line against the Vikings in

the '87 season NFC Championship game - take your pick.

Those are five that come to mind, but then I've probably forgotten more than you've seen, son.

Please don't try to elevate yourself above other "real Redskin fans" just because they may not be aware of that memorable play. I'm sure there are many out there.

Good list. I'd add Darrell chasing down Tony Dorsett up there too - the sign of good things to come. And probably the first bomb to Sanders that opened the floodgates during 'The Quarter.'

Archived