Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: 9 Pivotal Players

rincewind

Sorry if this has been posted - I couldn't search, so I looked on the first two pages and didn't see it.

MSN's list of 9 potential pivotal players for the upcoming year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5781908?OTC-RG2989870611&promoCode=000006MSHPFFTPSNN&FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8393

6. Mark Brunell, quarterback, Redskins

In the first half of the 2005 season, the Redskins lefty was among the NFL's more efficient quarterbacks. In the second half of the season, he was an eye sore. Brunell's play down the stretch was rather abysmal.

And the oft-injured quarterback missed a portion of mini-camp in 2006 after fracturing a finger on his throwing hand.

Washington is loaded with offensive talent after adding Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El to Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and a sturdy starting five on the offensive line. And the most significant pickup Washington made this off-season was bringing Al Saunders on board to calls plays.

If Brunell can execute the Saunders playbook, the Redskins are a Super Bowl threat. If he can't keep himself on the field, they aren't a playoff team. (For the record, I love Jason Campbell's upside, but he might have to go through some growing pains if forced to play).

6. Mark Brunell, quarterback, Redskins

In the first half of the 2005 season, the Redskins lefty was among the NFL's more efficient quarterbacks. In the second half of the season, he was an eye sore. Brunell's play down the stretch was rather abysmal.

Let's compare Mark Brunell's "abysmal" 2nd half compared to say Drew Bledsoe and Eli Manning

Brunell

199-114 57.3% 1,269 yds, 11 TDs, 7 Ints 80.16 QB rating

Bledsoe

255-144 56.5% 1,620 yds, 10 TDs, 11 Ints 70.71 QB rating

Manning

299-161 53.8% 1,951 yds, 10 TDs, 12 Ints 68.57 QB rating

Here are Mark Brunell's stats in the Skins two biggest games of the year against the Giants and Cowboys in December:

31-19 61.3% 273 yds, 6 TDs, 1 Int 116.26 QB rating

I'm sorry all the media can remember is Mark Brunell after he hurt his knee. I'm sorry that the media can't remember that we were running the F out of the ball at the end of the year and didn't need to throw. And more importantly I'm sorry they can't remember that Mark Brunell's eye sore performance resulted in a 6 game winning streak.

Let's compare Mark Brunell's "abysmal" 2nd half compared to say Drew Bledsoe and Eli Manning

Brunell

Bledsoe

Manning

Here are Mark Brunell's stats in the Skins two biggest games of the year against the Giants and Cowboys in December:

I'm sorry all the media can remember is Mark Brunell after he hurt his knee. I'm sorry that the media can't remember that we were running the F out of the ball at the end of the year and didn't need to throw. And more importantly I'm sorry they can't remember that Mark Brunell's eye sore performance resulted in a 6 game winning streak.

Great post. I never thought I would see the day where a QB is criticized for a 5 game winning streak to lead his team into the playoffs and win a playoff game. Heaven forbid they criticize Manning and Bledsoe. Although Bledsoe did have the worst OL in a long time.

Wait Brian Westbrook is No. 1? Hmm.. Interesting. I don't think he's going to influence the team more than McNabb will be influencing the team... I'm also surprised Carr made the list ahead of Eli. Eli has a lot of weapons at his disposal. If he can play up to Pro-Bowl caliber, they are going to be a force this season. Carr doesn't have much around him, and honestly will probably not be a huge impact player...

It just being lazy.

Instead of wasting their time in the offseason doing research to make real articles, they just cut and paste stuff.

Some guy had said these things about Brunell after the playoffs, and now the lemmings just regurgitate his comments.

Its easier then coming up with new material.

I really thing Plummer is the pivotal player for the Broncs, not Bell. He needs to reproduce the season he had last year for them to be successful again. He actually needs to have a better season. Bell will get his carries and Shannahan will put another RB in at times to help carry the load. One thing that I know will always be constant, Denver will have a good running game.

Brunell

Bledsoe

Manning

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever seen..... :applause:

Great post. I never thought I would see the day where a QB is criticized for a 5 game winning streak to lead his team into the playoffs and win a playoff game. Heaven forbid they criticize Manning and Bledsoe. Although Bledsoe did have the worst OL in a long time.

Funny thing though, they probably are no better this year, :dallasuck :handicap: :handicap:

This was posted before so I propose a merge...

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160272

...anyhoo, Mark's production did fall off and the winning streak we went on would have lasted longer if he was 100%. We were only 10 points away from beating the Seagulls in the divisional playoffs.

Oops... like I said my search wasn't working.

Brunell

Bledsoe

Manning

The Microsoft Network just got owned. :applause:

Archived