Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jai Lewis Calls it Quits

jimster

Former George Mason hoops star ends NFL dream

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2520392&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Former George Mason University basketball forward Jai Lewis, who had signed a free agent contract with the New York Giants earlier this spring, has decided to end his pursuit of an NFL career.

Agent Jeff Jankovich told The Washington Post that his client had decided not to report to Giants' training camp later this month, and a family member confirmed that decision. Lewis had signed a one-year contract with a minimum base salary of $275,000, and a $5,000 signing bonus, after the draft.

A week before the draft, Lewis auditioned for scouts from a dozen clubs and, while his football skills were raw, he demonstrated enough potential to merit interest from a few teams. Lewis worked out as a tight end, an offensive tackle and a defensive end.

The Giants projected the 6-foot-5, 292-pound Lewis as an offensive tackle, and he practiced at that position and also as a long-snapper during spring workouts. Having not played football since his senior season at Aberdeen (Md.) High School, Lewis was a long shot to earn a spot on the New York roster, but might have had a chance at

rest of article

When he was first signed all anyone would talk about is comparing him to Gates, so I dont think its much of a stretch for someone to say that.

I think there were several stories about how a) teams were looking at him to play either TE or tackle and B) how the Giants were specifically looking at him as a tackle.

The only comparison to Gates was that they were both college hoops stars who hadn't played college football. The comparison was made because of that.

']He was too big to play TE' date=' it was never an option as far as the Giants were concerned. [/quote']

Oh I dont doubt that at all, but that didnt stop the mediots durring the ncaa championship and arround the draft to mention Gates every time they talked about Lewis joining the NFL. Thats all I was saying that I could see how someone could make that comparission.

I think there were several stories about how a) teams were looking at him to play either TE or tackle and B) how the Giants were specifically looking at him as a tackle.

The only comparison to Gates was that they were both college hoops stars who hadn't played college football. The comparison was made because of that.

Exactly right, and thanks for making that clear. It wasn't a comparison based strictly on position, but the overall circumstances.

Here in VA, that signing generated a fair amount of media buzz, but it always smacked of hype to me.

Well Jai has about a 0.00001% chance of ever playing an NBA game so I hope he doesn't regret this decision in 10 years.

He'll probably have a decent CBA or European career, and maybe if he loses some weight who knows? An NBA team might pick him up. :whoknows:

I know someone who played football for the same high school that Jai Lewis went to and was in the same graduating class as him. He said that he was big and fast, but pretty weak for his size and extremely lazy and somewhat soft. That's why he declined offers to play D-1 football and instead chose basketball: the conditioning is much easier in basketball, especially for the big guys. And btw the guy who told this to me has every right to talk that way b/c he played D-1A football all four years of college (at UMD in fact).

cross over players occassionally become NFL starters as Gates did. But that is the exception, not the rule. of the thousands of athletes out there that have considered an NFL career after playing another sport, few have made an impact or managed to stay in the league.

and if we subtract out the special teams players, punters like Darren Bennett, return men like Ron Brown and the many European kickers that have been imported, the overall number is drastically reduced.

']McMetal' date='

You actually said it was Giants fans that were making him to be the next coming of Gates. That is what I was arguing. Giant fans knew he was not going to be a TE and was a long shot to make the team.[/quote']

Educated Giants fans maybe, but you should have heard some of the dopes down here spout off about him. I wasn't including you en masse.

I agree, it's not much of a loss.

Archived