Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Ocean Apart - My Consequence (NEW SONG!)

kevinklein

Yes!

I spent the day in my basement, and once more I present my band's latest product! In the past there has been some jibber jabber over my vocals inability to hit the right notes. As promised, I worked with him immensely during the recording of this song, and I believe that that problem (though it still exists) has definitley improved.

I love listening to your guys feedback. Please, give this a fair listen and let me know what you think. I think this is easily our best recording to date, even if there are only three.

Like I always say, I think it's pretty good for 4 18 year olds in a basement!

The song is called My Consequence, and for the record, I'm the guitarrist. (A lot of people asked me that in the last thread.)

Enjoy! I hope...

http://www.myspace.com/anoceanapart

First impressions:

Yikes...when the bass and drums enter, the kick drum is in the bass guitar range so it sounds like the beat is really unsteady.. It hurts me to listen to a beat seemingly get kicked around. Overall though...I don't get a really solid feel from the drummer seems like he's way "on top" of the beat at times, though there is a chunk of time where he's comfortably in "the pocket" (for the most part, I could probably target this to the later half). Maybe its the recording of the drums? I don't know...it just doesn't have a certain bit of confidence it seems.

And other note: the guitar solo. Great place and it started well, but I think a few more notes "from the heart" (read: improvised..kinda) would work. Not too many notes to fill up all the sound, but the two licks it started off with was a great bluesy start, but the strength it came in with just fizzled out with the half note and quarter note stuff. Lining up with the backing melody is cool and all, but make it seem less obvious by putting riffs in between. Love the blues progression for it though.

I'm not going to make excuses, drums and skins. We're pretty bad at recording- we're just putting our foot in the door.

Personally, I think our drummer is a pretty weak recorder, but there is a horrible lack of drummers around here. He's fine when we practice and play, but he gets really nervous when recording for some reason. It's quite inconvienient.

As for the guitar solo- I liked the blues beginning, but I really wanted to abandon the pentatonic scale. I used it exclusively in the short guitar solo in "No Grave" and really didn't want to create a one dimensional sound for myself. I think when it slows down, it gives off a sort of Pink Floydish, darker sound. I'm not sure how fond of the end of it I am, but I think I like it. :)

I agree with d&s....sounds like the track is offbeat in some parts.

Also....your lead singer is still really off. Dude, seriously...if you're serious about this, get a new singer. Your guy right now is TERRIBLE. With a capital everything. :)

LOL -- "I'm tired of hearing your voice" is actually a lyric...talk about self-fulfilling prophecies...:laugh:

well...I liked all the songs...I was suprised b/c I was expecting some really awful songs (just b/c most bands in the making are lol)...and I seriously don't find the singer's voice that awful like everyone else...it really didn't bother me....but then again...what do I know....:silly:

keep it up Kevin!

I agree with d&s....sounds like the track is offbeat in some parts.

Also....your lead singer is still really off. Dude, seriously...if you're serious about this, get a new singer. Your guy right now is TERRIBLE. With a capital everything. :)

LOL -- "I'm tired of hearing your voice" is actually a lyric...talk about self-fulfilling prophecies...:laugh:

We're not going anywhere. We're not going to make recordings and playing stadium shows. I'd rather work with him and try to get him to understand the concept of hitting notes, than kick him out of the band and try to teach someone new the songs.

Not to mention if he leaves, the songs leave, because he's written a lot of them.

The self-fulfilling prophecy is funny though.

I was just messin' with ya. Maybe the kid is still going through puberty because his voice ruins the songs everytime.

It's easy to criticize until you try to do it yourself. He's not perfect, but you'd be surprised how horrible a lot of professional singers are. They have thousands of dollars worth of pitch correction software/hardware, and the finest, most expensive studios and the engineers that go with it.

Jeff Toppe > Mick Jagger at this point in their careers. :laugh:

It's easy to criticize until you try to do it yourself. He's not perfect, but you'd be surprised how horrible a lot of professional singers are. They have thousands of dollars worth of pitch correction software/hardware, and the finest, most expensive studios and the engineers that go with it.

That's a very good point. I just take it upon myself to criticize him because I know I can't sing. :D

I'd be interested in hearing you guys do a cover song that everyone knows, before I make a honest statement about your singer. I do right now agree with some of the others that he is a bit pitchy at times, and it seems he also misses cues by just a sec, or seems late.

I also heard the first song you gave us last week, and there is definitely some potential there.

Archived