Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can't believe how cheap the Eagles are...

StinkNugget

Hey, great signing for the Eagles. But this is one they knew they had to have. Without McNabb, the Eagles are just an average team.

They ARE STILL CHEAP when it comes to player acquisitions. What they did here was resign one of their own. Having doled out so much for McNabb, they probably won't sign another FA for 5 years, given their past track record.

Despite the fact that this post was obviously written by a troll bent on tweaking our disdain for the Eagles I have to give reluctant props to the Eagles front office.

They have locked up their best player and one of the top 3 young QBs in the league for seemingly his entire career which is a smart move any way you look at it. By the time the contract is over it might actually be considered a bargain.

As for McNab I wish he played for someone else and I'm sure the Skins do as well. I saw him play at Syracuse and thought he was gonna be a star in the NFL and I certainly liked him much more than Tim Couch. I never saw Akili Smith play in college so I can't comment on him. The irony of the booing of McNab by "knowledgable" fans at the draft is not lost on me today...but thats why they call it Filthydelphia.

Congrats to McNab, the person and player, he worked hard for what he has accomplished so far. As for the Eagles may they and their repugnant fans never know the glory and honor that comes from winning the Lombardi trophy.

The curse of Malthusatra is upon thee! Hauuuuck shpitooey!!(the sound of me lobbing a big thick and gooey phlegmatic load at the whole sorry lot of you) Nyaaaah!!!

MikeB...I assume you mean "big-name" free agent? Well, they will if they need to. It depends on the position needs at the time and the talent available on the roster and in the drafts.

They don't tend to make big splashes in the free agent market, not because of cost, but because of cost benefit. Most of the big names expect big money, then sit down or take "vacations" when it's time to play, after they get the check from a new team (read Jeremiah Trotter, Dan Wilkenson, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, you get the picture....sorry couldn't resist).

The Eagles bring talent in via the draft, lock the young productive players up for five+ years, then continue to look for role-player free agents as needed when they can get them inexpensively. Call it cheap if you want to, but it's a system that's working in the NFL Salary Cap era. You won't see this team suffer major cap hits in the near future and they will also remain competitive.

This deal with McNabb is for $115M, but only $20+M is guaranteed. If he gets hurt or, as someone else above said, cut in five years before we've won a SuperBowl, we won't be living in "cap-hell" as a result of this deal. If he plays, we continuously build a talented team around him as we need the players, if not...then he's gone and somebody else can step in. Time will tell.

Originally posted by phanatic

And as far as the Eagles being cheap:this is the contracts for our offensive line.

Tra thomas:signed through 2008

John Runyan:signed through2005

Hank fraley:signed through2007

John Welbourn:signed through 2006

Jermaine Mayberry:signed through2004

Don't forget David Akers, signed through 2007. :D

Cornerstone of our team! :cheers:

:pint:

everyone here knows the Eagles are with the Raiders my most hated teams (yes, even more than Dallas).........however, the moves the Eagles have made by and large under Reid have PAID OFF :)

you can't argue with success. true, the Eagles haven't won the Super Bowl yet, and that is the real milestone of an elite program in the NFL, but they are right there if a little short perhaps..........

but definitely within striking distance.

Under Reid, the Eagles signed Runyan and he has been a stalwart tackle for the club. The Eagles also signed Antonio Freeman, who has been a lot more productive than I would have thought given his performance in GB last year and missing all of the summer work.

No, the Eagles have not signed a lot of million dollar free agents, but the free agents they have signed have mostly turned out well.

And they have done a good job of developing younger players from McNabb to Corey Simon to James Thrash to Darwin Walker and Derrick Burgess.

Also remember the Eagles drafted Trotter in the THIRD round and got 3 years of quality linebacking and 2 pro bowls for that rookie contract with a small bonus.

when was the last time the Redskins made a #3-#7 pick in the draft and saw that player become a pro bowler?

it's been a while my friends :(

let's face it, so far we have done a good job of making quality selections in rounds 1 and 2 of the draft (with the possible exception of Betts in 2002).

But you can't fill out a 53 man roster these days with all high picks. You need as they say in the NHL some 'muckers and grinders', overachievers that don't let their egos get in the way of making limited but important contributions to the club.

The Redskins need a LOT more of those kinds of players.

Originally posted by Bufford

damn that is a talented team.

Its a shame the AFC has Denver, New England, Oakland and Miami who are just so damn good.

How to Tell Your Team is Terrible:

You stop talking trash about it and start talking about teams in the other conference who might play your rival in the Super Bowl.

:pint:

Bulldog, a couple of comments...

Runyan is a stalwart (except against Strahan who he was brought in to protect McNabb from, so if you ever hear criticism of him from Eagles fans, that's where it comes from).

You might be happy with Betts long term. He looked servicable and even good at times during the preseason, and should fill in for 48 well if needed. Give him a chance.

I'm not sure how well the Redskins evaluate the personality of players they draft, if at all. Maybe someone here knows better, but the Eagles draft with as much consideration to a player's emotional and psychological factors as they do to his position and physical talents. Obviously, you have to be tough minded and thick-skinned to play in Philly. They also look for players that tend to stay out of trouble, and with lower picks and backups especially, they look for the desire to play well and to "prove themselves". Those players simply aren't satisfied with being in the league, they want to prove they belong and contribute to the team.

I personally feel that this consideration to the mind of the player is as important to the success of a team as phyisical ability...though Randy Moss is arguably the most talented receiver in the game, you'll never see the Eagles throw any interest at him....and good on 'em. I guess we prefer to let the head cases sit in the stands!

Not many Redskins fans thought the Redskins were Super Bowl material this year Nugget.

But for the Eagles, IMHO, it's Super Bowl Trophy OR BUST.

And the part about converting some of his bonus to salary this year instead of spreading it over the life of the contract was a great move by the Eagles FO. I have to admit that. They used up their un-needed cap space for this year and saved space in the future years.

BD....just don't forget that it took the iggles a long time to get to this point. as i recall, at the start of last season there were murmurs in the press that reid's head was on the block if the team didn't advance in the playoffs. the iggles have progressed smartly...meanwhile, other teams (Rams, Pats) did it a lot faster and won the SB in the process. Judge for yourself - until they win the SB they haven't accomplished much.

I tend to think that if the Redskins simply attain some consistency here that they too will see benefit from the moves they make.

The Skins, like the Eagles have done, need to retain the current staff for a few years. Let them figure out the team and get their plans in motion. We need to keep the bulk of the players we have and PRIMARILY augment through the draft, and less big name pickups via free agancy. We have enough big names for one team.

I think we are already seeing signs of this. Aside from Trotter, the team didn't go out and sign every big name player, even at spots where we had needs. Adams isn't here, thankfully. And there were times during camp when this team would have just went out and signed someone, and they didn't. That may hurt us in the short run, but in the long run I think it will pay off. I think with consistency and time, ANY group of players can turn into a solid unit. The question is, do the Redskins, like the Eagles have had, have the patience for this?

starting 2-1 this year, the team actually had to add luxury suites to the stadium

What an oxymoron.... "luxury" at Vets stadium. :rolleyes:

I give credit where it's due. Locking McFlabb up long term was a pretty smart move. Though it doesn't sound like it, I would be interested to see if it's really a long term deal or one of those back loaded contracts.

fansince62 - the Eagles are doing it the "old-fashioned" way - one step at a time. Last year's primary goal was to overcome the Giants. Nine straight losses, including the playoffs easily made them a primary goal. This year's goal was to get past the Rams. It may be that the Rams have taken care of themselves and another obstacle will appear. Right now they are playing really good football. Consistency has always been Reid's mantra.

EagleRob - How can you forget the 1960 championship over Vince Lombardi's Packers? Eagles have won championships in 1948, 1949, 1960.

NFC East World Champions:

Dallas 5 (5-5 in championship games)

Washington 5 (5-6 in championship games)

New York 5 (5-12 in championship games)

Philadelphia 3 (3-2 in championship games)

Just for fun:

Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals 1 (1-1 in championship games)

Who could the (Chicago) Cardinals have possibly beaten for a championship? The 1947 Eagles of course!

Cheers!

Originally posted by MikeB

Hey, great signing for the Eagles. But this is one they knew they had to have. Without McNabb, the Eagles are just an average team.

They ARE STILL CHEAP when it comes to player acquisitions. What they did here was resign one of their own. Having doled out so much for McNabb, they probably won't sign another FA for 5 years, given their past track record.

Right on that call!................... and one

Randall Cunningham "knee" injury and the "scrambling madman" McNabb, would be through!

There is a lot of 2002 to play and we shall see what transpires!

Archived