Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can't believe how cheap the Eagles are...

StinkNugget

Heres a little trivia abou the Phillies. They are the reason why we had to wait so long for a new stadium. They were part of the contract at the vet and they would not allow the Eagles to have a new stadium until theres was resolved. they wanted a downtown stadium in the Chinatown districrt. This was met with fierce oppostion by those who live there. They finally agreed to have their stadium built in the same area as the "Linc" . So you see, that pathetic Phillies franchise played hardball with the Eagles. It wasn't the birds fault.

Yeah, and meanwhile, both Pittsburgh stadiums were opened before either of ours got started...despite the fact that the 1/3 cost contribution from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to ALL FOUR stadiums came in at the same time!

There is some merit in having the forethought to invest in your own stadium, and I do respect the Redskins previous ownership for ponying-up for the cause. I only wish they'd have asked for a little help from the D.O.T. and Metro to get some better access to the place!!

McNugget's new contract seems kinda dumb. He had 4 years left on his existing contract -- what was the hurry? It's not like they cleared up short term salary cap room to sign FAs or something. Am I reading this wrong?

But I don't agree that it was dumb to lock hom up long-term. By the way, Jake Plummer is an FA next year. He sure as hel! won't stay in Arizona. Anybody want him in DC?

Originally posted by StinkNugget

They're getting a new stadium, too.

:pint:

a few years ago, PA gave a lot of money to both Philly and the Burgh for 4 new stadiums. Their owners couldn't kick the bill so the Steelers threatened to move way outside the city and won, same with the Pirates I think.

I heard the new Phillies park will be very nice. Too bad baseball is dying still.

Originally posted by MRMADD

McNugget's new contract seems kinda dumb. He had 4 years left on his existing contract -- what was the hurry? It's not like they cleared up short term salary cap room to sign FAs or something. Am I reading this wrong?

Here's the story. His cap number was $5.9 Mill this season. Next year his base salary jumped to 6.2 and into the 8-9 Mill range in 2004, then up over 10 Mill in 2005. Taking into account his signing bonuses, the cap hits would have been about 8, 10, and 12 Mill each of the next three years.

This deal is a typical Banner deal that keeps his number the same this year and stretches the future hits out by giving him only 10 Mill in base salary TOTAL over the next three years but giving him $20+ Mill in bonus money (for cap purposes, spread out over 12 years)...therefore, his cap value for the next three years is about 6-7 Mill per season. He will only gradually increase in cap value for about the first five years of this deal, before the backloaded salary kicks it up starting in 2008. The last three years are voidable so it really amounts to a 9-year deal for $72M. Still not bad though! But if you consider that $20M is upfront, he's averaging under $6M base salary for the next nine years. So, this deal won't kill our cap and will most likely be restructured again before the nine-year mark.

:high: :D

The hurry was that if they waited until the end of the season, he would have technically had to take a pay-cut next year from a $6.2M base salary to a $4M base to make the same deal (even though he'd still get the signing bonus), but it was just better timing to do it now.

Archived