Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm joining this mans church immediately

DButz65

I have to admit to being a smidge confused.

When a white conservative Christian pastor with close ties to politics says that homosexual behavior is a sin, that's a story worthy of the mainstream media and public denunciation by outraged Democrats.

When a black liberal Christian pastor with close ties to politics says that homosexual behavior is a sin (and with a lot more, er, gusto, than many in the Ralph Reed/James Dobson camp), that's a story which is covered in gay news outlets, and the offender is allowed to maintain incredibly close ties to apparently non-outraged Democrats.

And yes, I know exactly why this is, and I am fully aware of realpolitik, but I felt it still had to be said. Plus, I'm kind of interested in how the really die-hard Democrats are going to spin this. I have a couple of ideas, but it's always fun to see if my imagination matches reality. ;)

I have to admit to being a smidge confused.

When a white conservative Christian pastor with close ties to politics says that homosexual behavior is a sin, that's a story worthy of the mainstream media and public denunciation by outraged Democrats.

When a black liberal Christian pastor with close ties to politics says that homosexual behavior is a sin (and with a lot more, er, gusto, than many in the Ralph Reed/James Dobson camp), that's a story which is covered in gay news outlets, and the offender is allowed to maintain incredibly close ties to apparently non-outraged Democrats.

And yes, I know exactly why this is, and I am fully aware of realpolitik, but I felt it still had to be said. Plus, I'm kind of interested in how the really die-hard Democrats are going to spin this. I have a couple of ideas, but it's always fun to see if my imagination matches reality. ;)

Good post. I agree.

The only thing that could make this any funnier is that I happened to be playing Squirrel Nut Zippers behind this when I clicked the link. Great combo but I can't take credit...just serendipity I guess.:cool:

"IT TAKES A SCREW AND A NUT" Hi-freaking-larious!!! roflmao

techboy welcome to understanding the umbrella of the democratic party, to be fair to the democrats they will still make fun of him on message boards but only the farthest of the leftists would parade against him. You see the same cats who are all up in arms about Iraq, very quite about kosovo.

Its just how political folk do business.

Its just how political folk do business.

As I said, I am fully aware of realpolitik and how it works (I even know how to use the word "realpolitik" correctly in a sentence!), and so I understand completely that the reason Democrats who are ostensibly "pro-gay rights" keep quiet because they don't want to hurt their own chances in elections.

It's an interesting dynamic to me. The African-American vote is a huge reason that Democrats get elected, and yet African-Americans tend to be socially conservative on the gay rights issue. This seems to have the practical effect that things like laws that allow gay marriage get passed only in places like San Francisco or Massachusetts, where the Democratic majority is so strong it can take a hit to part of the base without flinching, or Hawaii which might not have as many African-Americans in the first place.

I still want to see how the hardcore Dems spin this, if they even try. This issue ranks right up there with Republicans railing against welfare then turning around and giving huge subsidies to both individuals and businesses.

It's pretty rotten, though. If Democrats can (succesfully and vociferously) call for an official of the government to be fired because he called being gay a deviant lifestyle, but don't utter a peep (that I am aware of) about this case, when the man is deep in Democrat politics, and holds at least one government appointed position that I am aware of, then what does that really say?

Archived