Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lummer at mini-camp?

UpNorth

After hearing that Jesse did well at the OTA's I was just wondering if anyone has seen him at the mini camp and if he is still getting props from coaches, etc. Unfortunately there's is even more competition for him at RB now that Kerry Carter has been signed. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has some insight, thanks.

well the mini camp is going on right now so we havent heard anything about it yet. i hope kerry carter makes the team over lumsden, only because i know carter.

You know him like personally? I played with a couple guys up here in Canada that went to his high school, and I remember seeing him on the news in HS before he went to college, he absolutely dominated. That said, so did Jesse at the collegiate level.

It's been Lummer for years.....and there's a bit of a story behind it but it may be a little too explicit for this board....anyways, that's what his nickname back at Mac (McMaster University back home in Hamilton) and what I've we've called him there so....

I have an idea what them stems from. No pun intended. Am I on track? Whatever the case is, there is a big Lumsden buzz around here. Hope he will keep it going. Only time will tell. Met him at Beach Blitz. Very nice person. Will fit in well.

Met him at Beach Blitz. Very nice person. Will fit in well.

Yeah man he is just a normal guy. He's even a little quiet. He really doesn't have that "I'm a star athlete and you better recognize" sort of attitude that alot of guys have. When he comes back to Hamilton and walks around campus he's still the same guy he was before he was breaking records...

Yeah man he is just a normal guy. He's even a little quiet. He really doesn't have that "I'm a star athlete and you better recognize" sort of attitude that alot of guys have. When he comes back to Hamilton and walks around campus he's still the same guy he was before he was breaking records...

I watched CFL footage of him, after having only seen his weak college conference stuff, he absolutely dominated and looks to have an incredibly strong upper body. He plants and bursts extremely well.

If nothing else he will be a helluva kick returner at 6'2" 228 pounds and a 4.43 40, at least he tore it up in what I saw.

A guy like that Gibbs would at least see if he could transfer to WR if nothing else, but he is practicing with the RB, and between Gibbs and Saunders thats some talent eval. skill - so it should say something about "Lummer" :laugh:

I would put a very high premium on lumsden making the squad, if you recall, he got signed to a serious contract, not exactly UDFA money... if he is on the Practice squad we most definately will lose him. Byner was talking about Betts today on 980 and it sounds like they want to keep him around at least until he is a RFAgent.

But between K. Carter and Lumsden, that is a LOT of in demand talent showing up to a team that is set with an all-pro RB, a starting caliber back in Betts and a top-shelf backup RB/FB in Rock Cartwright.... that is why I think some kind of move will be made... I think Broncos or Jets... both would like another young back like Betts. i guess it is really up to betts though, if he is willing to back up CP again, I'd love to keep him around.

I just hope we can keep an extra FB in Manny White, I really think he is going to be solid and I heard he is doing well finally. Don't want to lose a 4th round draft pick because of an untimely broken leg. White has GOBS of potential...

Lumsden had a couple of nice runs today. Beyond that, I really didn't hear much buzz about him. I think he's got an uphill battle to make the team though, as much as I like what I've seen so far. We'll try and see if we can interview him tomorrow though. Al Saunders is supposed to give a group interview tomorrow - if he does, I'll see if I can sneak in a question for you.

Lumsden had a couple of nice runs today. Beyond that, I really didn't hear much buzz about him. I think he's got an uphill battle to make the team though, as much as I like what I've seen so far. We'll try and see if we can interview him tomorrow though. Al Saunders is supposed to give a group interview tomorrow - if he does, I'll see if I can sneak in a question for you.

:notworthy Sweet. I hate you - but I need you. :silly:

Let's get serious: Lumsden is the Jimmy Farris of the RB squad.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but "Lummer" has no shot of making the team unless one or two of our RBs have serious injuries.

A guy like him is simply kept around during the offseason as disaster insurance.

If Portis and/or Betts tear an ACL or something during these camps leading up to the opener, they keep guys like Lumsden around so that they'd have someone who at least knew the system that they could go into the season with.

But if they get through the offseason without any serious injuries, Lumsden's a goner.

His only hope would be to make the practice squad.

The same goes for guys like Farris and Jacobs. They are being kept around simply because they could be needed if serious injuries occur at wide receiver.

But if nothing like that happens, then they are released at final cutdown before the regular season as well.

So the reality is that a lot of these guys really don't have a shot of making the team unless there's a crapload of injuries. Don't fool yourselves into thinking there's some sort of actual competition for roster spots for many of these guys. There isn't. Many of them would thank their lucky stars to get a practice squad spot.

But between K. Carter and Lumsden, that is a LOT of in demand talent showing up to a team that is set with an all-pro RB, a starting caliber back in Betts and a top-shelf backup RB/FB in Rock Cartwright.... that is why I think some kind of move will be made... I think Broncos or Jets... both would like another young back like Betts. i guess it is really up to betts though, if he is willing to back up CP again, I'd love to keep him around.

Betts possibly to the Jets or Lumsden?

I would love to see Jesse in Green and White considering I am a Jets nut.....

That would be great man if you could do that, thanks.

Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but "Lummer" has no shot of making the team unless one or two of our RBs have serious injuries.

A guy like him is simply kept around during the offseason as disaster insurance.

If Portis and/or Betts tear an ACL or something during these camps leading up to the opener, they keep guys like Lumsden around so that they'd have someone who at least knew the system that they could go into the season with.

But if they get through the offseason without any serious injuries, Lumsden's a goner.

The same goes for guys like Farris and Jacobs. They are being kept around simply because they could be needed if serious injuries occur at wide receiver.

But if nothing like that happens, then they are released at final cutdown before the regular season as well.

So the reality is that a lot of these guys really don't have a shot of making the team unless there's a crapload of injuries. Don't fool yourselves into thinking there's some sort of actual competition for roster spots for many of these guys. There isn't. Many of them would thank their lucky stars to get a practice squad spot.

Then why was he signed to a 2 year contract?

It's been Lummer for years.....and there's a bit of a story behind it but it may be a little too explicit for this board....anyways, that's what his nickname back at Mac (McMaster University back home in Hamilton) and what I've we've called him there so....
Why did he change his name?

I am not convinced Patten wouldn't be cut over Jacobs, or traded to keep TJ around. When you are talking about your 5th receiver, most coaches go for the young "potential" types. Otherwise teams would be interested in trading for TJ.

You sound like you:

a: haven't seen Lumsden Play his rookie year in the CFL and know very little to nothing about him.

b: don't realize we signed him to a contract like a few weeks after the superbowl, a very large contract for "camp fodder". He was being pursued very heavily.

c: Think I am pulling this out of my ass - granted it is about 50% conjecture, but the other 50% comes from insider reports.

To compare Jimmy Farris to Taylor Jacobs is ridiculous. To compare Jimmy Farris to the best under 24 RB prospect from Canada EVER who has already dominated at the CFL level is just .... well I won't even say what it is. But believe me, I was going to say a bad word.

Even if Lumsden doesn't make the team (which I'm pretty sure he will, as long as he plays the way I've seen him play) We will be trading him to any number of teams who want him, hardly cutting him like a S-C-R-U-B.:point2sky

i dont even wanna think about CP blowing up his knee

i dont even wanna think about CP blowing up his knee

Yeah really, that thought makes me sick to my stomach. He is incredibly durable for such a fast fast guy, Reggie bush could only hope to be that durable. Plus Clinton has better straight line speed :cool:

But I'm just nit picking. CP is the bomb and is only going to get better.

Even if Lumsden doesn't make the team (which I'm pretty sure he will, as long as he plays the way I've seen him play) We will be trading him to any number of teams who want him, hardly cutting him like a S-C-R-U-B.:point2sky

Preferably to the J-E-T-S....it's not unreasonable considering the RB situation in NY and the decent trading relationship the Jets and Redskins have had in recent years.

He has to make the team first, I realise, and in my opinion even though I have seen him play numerous times first hand and seen him do unbelievable things, I still think his best shot is practice squad because no matter what he is an underdog. I just can't wait for the preseason, especially the game against the afforementioned Jets. It will be the only time that I will be hoping from a poor performance from our defense.

never say something like that again. please be smart and go knock on some wood somewhere.

Archived