Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Spy Museum...

dcsmooth

Has anyone ever visited the Spy Museum located on 9th and F. Street N.W. in Washington DC? I hear it's real cool and would like to hear more about it. I am planning on visiting there soon in the month of July, 2006.

If you can please give details of this fascinated Museum.

Thank you,

dc smooth

I have to say, it didn't live up to my expectations at all. The biggest disappointment was that most of the "museum" was just a serious of kiosks playing videos. I feel like I could have really had the same experience watching a special on the Discovery channel. There just wasn't very much real stuff to look at.

Also, it was very crowded and you really need to get tehre a few hours early to buy tickets for a later "show."

Anyway, it is right in the middle of lots of exciting stuff, and while it was disappoointing for me, that doesn't mean it can't be a cool way to spend an afternoon.

Personally, I just prefer seeing real, live artifacts ... so the Smithsonian down the street was better time spent, imho :2cents:

Lots of interactive stuff to do. You get to play spy as you go through the museum: you assume the identity of a fake person at the beginning, and then you get asked questions as you tour through the place. If you answer plausibly you keep your undercover status. Definitely a worthwhile trip.

I have to say, it didn't live up to my expectations at all. The biggest disappointment was that most of the "museum" was just a serious of kiosks playing videos. I feel like I could have really had the same experience watching a special on the Discovery channel. There just wasn't very much real stuff to look at.

Also, it was very crowded and you really need to get tehre a few hours early to buy tickets for a later "show."

Anyway, it is right in the middle of lots of exciting stuff, and while it was disappoointing for me, that doesn't mean it can't be a cool way to spend an afternoon.

Personally, I just prefer seeing real, live artifacts ... so the Smithsonian down the street was better time spent, imho :2cents:

I don't understand this post at all unless it has changed a lot in the past few years. I went there not long after it opened and the Spy Museum was full of real artifacts. Are you sure you are talking about the same place?

It's definitely worth a few hours. Lots of cool espionage gadgets from throughout the ages.

Lots of interactive stuff to do. You get to play spy as you go through the museum: you assume the identity of a fake person at the beginning, and then you get asked questions as you tour through the place. If you answer plausibly you keep your undercover status. Definitely a worthwhile trip.

When did you go? Are you sure you're talking about the Spy Museum in Washington, D.C.? When I went there it was just a regular old musuem with some artifacts and videos. They tried to make it seem dark, secretive, dangerous, spyish... whatever, with the interior design of the museum, but it just didn't do it for me. I thought that it was a slightly above average museum, and if you like museums, you'll have a good time and learn something. But I had been led to believe it would be much less like a museum and more like an ESPN Zone, but for spying instead of sports, if you know what I mean. I thought there would be lots of hands on stuff or demonstrations. I'm not a big museum guy, but if you are it should be alright.

P.S. If anybody does go, make sure you stick together with whatever group you are with. It's dark and windy and you more than likely won't have cell phone reception. Unfortunately I speak from experience :doh:.

Archived