Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins draft picks and low 40 times

XxSpearheadxX

Something I was thinking about if draftniking isn't your thing, just ignore it :D

Its the offseason dernit!:

Rocky Mcintosh was reported as running a 40 yard time in the low 4.4s coming out of high school. That would make sense considering he had the best vertical leap of all LB prospects at the combine.

That 40 time along with his impressive agility times, his best of the best wonderlic skills and his long lean frame (which is by all scouting accounts much like Urlachers and Ray lewis in that they expect 10-25 pounds of muscle to be added to an unfilled frame) - would have garnered him a higher draft status -

Just look at Lions LB Ernie Sims, although Sims showed a bit more big play ability at FSU he suffered 3 concussions in 3 seasons there, a bit more threatening to me than a shoulder injury and a knee scoping. Though the back injury did set Rocky back he was the leading tackler on a team that included Vilma, DJ williams and our own Sean Taylor. That is pretty impressive, albeit a few years ago before some injuries.

Anyway - Gibbs said that Rocky ran a 4.4 at a Redskins work out and he saw it with his own eyes. If he had demonstrated that speed at the combine, we may never have gotten him.

I'm not calling conspiracy here or anything, but it is funny to think that a guy runs a respectable 4.63 at the combine, but has been known to run a 4.4 both before and after said combination scouting day.

The same thing happened with Sean Taylor who most obviously runs faster than the 4.5 something he ran with a bad hamstring.

And I'm pretty sure that if Carlos Rogers didn't have that hairline fracture in his foot (that he didn't report at the combine and almost got fined by the Redskins because of that) he would have bested his 40 time also - especially when comparing it to his known track times.

I wonder if the Redskins especially look out for players whom they think ran a bad 40 for one reason or another. Maybe its just coincidence.

With the Rocky thing, it makes sense that if you were hurt like a pull or ankle injury, and you had a history of injury, you may opt out of telling the doc's about it to avoid adding on to the main knock against you - being injury prone. One could muster up one vertical jump a lot better than continually sprinting for 40 yards.

Either way just something I was thinking about, I really believe one year from now we won't even recognize Rocky, I'm not saying he is going to baloon up with muscle like Ray Ray did, but hey - his coach was the one that compared the two 2 years ago.

Miami players don't seem to hit the weights that much in school.

Have a good night thanks for reading if you did, tell me what ya think about it all.:point2sky

Interesting thing to think about. I wonder what these guys' real 40 times would have been like- I'd almost have to guess that Taylor would be around the upper 4.30's, and who knows about Rogers. It really does amaze me though to hear about the potential Rocky has shown off before the draft, whether through his game abilities or his combine workouts, and how it doesn't seem like he got much publicity as a good linebacker despite the highest vertical of any LB, decent speed and agility, and a really high Wonderlic to top it all off. Makes me excited to see him start to develop into a real NFL player next year.

Not that I'm an old veteran of the board or anything (I've only been around a year or so), and I'm not sure how others feel about it, but I think XxSpearheadxX posts some of the best threads around here lately. This, the 40 time in pads one, and the who deserves a Super Bowl thread are all pretty interesting in this sloooow off-season time. I'd rather discuss thoughtful stuff like this as opposed to more threads about what random media/betting outlet dissed us or whatever else we've heard a lot of before. Keep up the good posting dude.

I wonder if the Redskins especially look out for players whom they think ran a bad 40 for one reason or another. Maybe its just coincidence.

First of all, great post.

I think it's a little crazy to expect the Skins to take guys who have some injuries during their workouts. I actually think the coaching staff is interested in coachable playmakers. I think they pay a lot more attention to game tape, character, and on the field ability than combine stats.

This seems to be an organization who knows what they're looking for and then take the guy they want the most. Which I feel is proven by our trade ups for Rocky and Cooley.

Again, great post.

Sean Taylor cannot run a 4.4. He is a high 4.5 guy but he covers a lot of ground.

Sean Taylor has good speed, he's not the fastest obviously. In his scouting report and seeing him yourself you know that he takes big strides when he runs, thus being able to cover a large area

I think XxSpearheadxX posts some of the best threads around here lately.

First I'm with Spartacus on this one.

Some of the Skins coaches believe a player who had a big injury and came back to health has a mental advantage. They have experienced mental and physical brake down and had the will to come back. If you look at recent Skins draft history, many have not only been leaders and coachable, but had prior injuries (not 3 concussions).

ST, Rogers and McIntosh were drafted right around where they graded out so the Skins certainly did not reach on any of them. Nor did they fall farther than they sould have do to injury or 40 time. I do believe McIntosh fell slightly due to lack of playing time from multiple injuries he had sustained. These include shoulder, hamstring, knee and herniated disk. So no I don't think the Skins draft players with low 40 times, they have just drafted well recently.

Sean Taylor cannot run a 4.4. He is a high 4.5 guy but he covers a lot of ground.

Are you so sure about that? Have you seen him run step for step with Randy Moss and TO?

Dude ran 4.5 with a pulled hamstring, that is pretty dern impressive, even if unimportant :D

Thanks for the praise, I just enjoy the environment.

First I'm with Spartacus on this one.

Some of the Skins coaches believe a player who had a big injury and came back to health has a mental advantage. They have experienced mental and physical brake down and had the will to come back. If you look at recent Skins draft history, many have not only been leaders and coachable, but had prior injuries (not 3 concussions).

ST, Rogers and McIntosh were drafted right around where they graded out so the Skins certainly did not reach on any of them. Nor did they fall farther than they sould have do to injury or 40 time. I do believe McIntosh fell slightly due to lack of playing time from multiple injuries he had sustained. These include shoulder, hamstring, knee and herniated disk. So no I don't think the Skins draft players with low 40 times, they have just drafted well recently.

True True. But I'm pretty sure Rogers would have gone a little higher, at least over Pacman. Maybe even Rolle.

They have drafted damn well tho right? I mean we keep 3 picks and hit homeruns with all of them? Its ridiculous. Its like Gibbs has a crystal ball.

True True. But I'm pretty sure Rogers would have gone a little higher, at least over Pacman. Maybe even Rolle.

They have drafted damn well tho right? I mean we keep 3 picks and hit homeruns with all of them? Its ridiculous. Its like Gibbs has a crystal ball.

Rogers definitely would've gone over Pacman, that's a joke, as we can see now looking back. It is amazing to see how the drafting has gone since Gibbs has been back, between Rogers, Taylor, and Cooley, all of which leave high hopes for Campbell and Rocky. If Campbell turns into a disaster however, then I think that could undo a lot of the success of getting those other great draft picks. That's really the one pick that all the chips depend on.

Archived