Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Johnson - Size will matter -

skinfan09

well i read an article about Ron Johnson who befor then, i had forgotten was even on the team. i remember when we first signed him i thought "this guy is just camp fodder and will not be here for another week." But soon after that, i relized that this guy could really contribute being as big as he is and being a good special teamer. he is considered a small tightend, wich is a big receiver, being 6-3 235.

53206972rj.jpgDSC_0015insidepic.jpg

this guy can make a roster spot if he can out play taylor jacobs and jimmy farris, the only two WR that really pose a challenge and that are at risk to be cut.

we have seen what taylor and faris can do (vertually nothing), and it would be nice having a reciever thats over 200 lbs.

(EDIT)here is an article on him

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=13071

and his stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302062

HERE IS HIS NOTES FROM SCOUTS AT THE DRAFT

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2002/prospects/johnson.html

this guy can make a roster spot if he can out play taylor jacobs and jimmy farris, the only two WR that really have a decent shot at makein the team other than Ron.

It all depends on whether we keep 5 or 6 WRs. Last year we kept 5 and Johnson is about 7 or 8 on the depth chart right now behind:

1. Moss

2. Lloyd

3. Randle El

4. Patten

5. Thrash

6. Jacobs

7. Farris

I really like Ron Johnson.

He is very strong and agile and can jump. I don't know anything else about him though, like speed or anything.

I hope he makes the team, even if that means cutting Jacobs - who I really think the coaches are not giving up on yet.

So its prolly farris then.

It all depends on whether we keep 5 or 6 WRs. Last year we kept 5 and Johnson is about 7 or 8 on the depth chart right now behind:

1. Moss

2. Lloyd

3. Randle El

4. Patten

5. Thrash

6. Jacobs

7. Farris

it will be if he can outplay farris wich is in the same position as ron johnson. they wont cut jacobs because he is such a great player.... he just chokes when he gets playing time in a game. im sure that the coaches are confident that they can cure that

I got his autograph this past sunday. He seems like a nice guy. But his talent needs alittle bit of impoving. Although i think he'll beat out farris and jacobs.

HTTR!!!!

You really think he'll beat out a 2nd round draft pick who's only had 2 real seasons of healthy playing time? Man... I guess it could happen but I'm still holding out a little hope for TJ, the coaches and teamates are so supportive, it would be wierd to see them give up on him. Oh well, whoever is best should get the spot. I would rather cut patten personally, or trade him for a 6th round pick.

here is his notes from his draft

Wide Receiver

Ron Johnson

College: Minnesota

Year: Senior

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 216

Birthday: May 23, 1980

40 Time: 4.5-ish

Strengths: Ron Johnson has good-sized hands and tremendous strength for a wide receiver, and uses them both to often take the ball away from defenders. He's not afraid to go across the middle, and with his size, can take the big hit and keep going. Those traits have earned him comparisons to another recent Big 10 stud, David Terrell. ESPN's Mel Kiper has compared Johnson to the Vikings' Cris Carter.

Johnson has a tendency to make things happen whenever he touches the football. Last year, he averaged 20 or more yards a catch in four different games and broke the 100-yard barrier five times altogether. Perhaps most impressive, Johnson hung a combined 14 catches and 274 yards on 2001 draftees Nate Clements and Jamar Fletcher, considered by many the two best corners in the nation last year.

A three-year starter, Gopher coaches have noticed Johnson improving with each game, a wonderful sign his skills are still growing and maturing. He works hard and doesn't mind doing the little things, like blocking and running decoy routes, to help his team win.

Areas of concern: Speed. There seems to be no consensus Some publications list Johnson as "average" while others label him "blazing." The NFL is absolutely obsessed with speed, so Johnson will likely need a strong combine showing to quell any doubts about his wheels.

In general, scouts would like to see receivers turn in 4.55 or faster 40's. Johnson is right on the edge at 4.5. It could hurt him.

There will be a camp battle for the 5th or 6th WR spots...if we decide to keep that many.

i am sure that we will keep 6 and maybe 7 receivers. we dont want the melt down like last year if 1 or 3 of our starters go down for a few games

1. Moss

2. Lloyd

3. Randle El

4. Patten

5. Thrash

6. Jacobs

7. Farris

I'm puzzled as to how most of the people on this board have ARE and Lloyd above Patten. We signed Patten as a solid #2 and before Santana blew up some even considered him our #1. Just because we signed these two young guys I wouldn't count Patten out and don't believe all the ANALysts that say he's going to be traded or released. IMO he's our #3 and ARE is a 3/4 return man depending on the package.

Here's how I would rank them

1) Moss

2) Lloyd

3) Patten

4) ARE

5) Thrash (he's going no where do to his oustanding ST's play)

6) Espy has made an impression and Jacobs may finally live up to all the hype.

He has a chance to make it if the following happens:

1. Patten is cut/traded post 6/1 for cap reasons.

2. He out performs Jacobs and Farris in mini camps.

Me personally I'd take this guy over Taylor Jacobs or Jimmy Farris.

At 6'3" 210+ lbs he could be the complimentary possesion receiver opposite Cooley that we need on short yardage/goal line situations.

depends on how he does in camp/preseason. He definitely does have size, which will help him a lot. His attitude will help also. Right now I think the 6th spot should belong to Farris, mainly due to his gameplay. Sure it was rather non existant, but on special teams, I think he was the guy who kept pace with Antonio Brown on that kick off return in Arizona.

Johnson may win out over both and be #6 if he shows good attitude, raw skills, and some good glimpses. Also, with his size, and Gibbs liking his blocking schemes, this guy seems like he may turn into a good blocker, which will help his chances on offense and special teams.

1. Moss

2. Lloyd

3. Randle El

4. Patten

5. Thrash

6. Jacobs

7. Farris

after #5 its really anybody's guess as to who is ranked ahead of who

after #5 its really anybody's guess as to who is ranked ahead of who

I really think Thrash gets little time at WR x-cept in certain packages - though he is key special teams. I think it really hurt us losing him in teams last year.

Man, the more I hear about this johnson kid, I am real excited. 6-3 230??? That is beastly, and he can play TE too. He makes the team barring injury, definately. I hope so anyway. I would love him as the 4th reciever on our team, 3rd in certain packages.

edit: Here is a scouting report for him

2005 scouting report

Has ideal size and is very athletic, with good quickness, strength and aggressiveness. Is a very smooth route runner and has great body control and agility. Is tough going for the ball and makes a good red zone target. Shows power as a runner but has mediocre speed. Suffers from concentration lapses.

Career data

Transactions/career notes: Selected by Baltimore Ravens in fourth round (123rd pick overall) of 2002 NFL draft. ... Signed by Ravens (July 26, 2002).

He is also ranked by the Sporting news War room as the 103rd reciever in the league. Not bad for a reciever with as few stats as he has. Born in 1980. I'm rooting for him.

Archived