Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gold in South Africa...

Renegade7

Isn't DeBeers finally getting a run for their money from the Ruskies and those professors up in Canada? Old Cecil Rhodes sure knew how to lock up a market back in the day. Ruthless, brutal sob. I read one of those "historical fiction" books about it some time ago and it was a fascinating read.

Wouldn't have been by Wilbur Smith would it? He has several on the topic.

Even today it is a little unreal the power in diamonds.

The correllation between mineral wealth and GDP is mixed at best, from the Industrial Revolution onwards. There are a multitude of causes, and as much fun as it is to write an essay on the matter, rest assured there is no single cause for poverty.

Also, South Africa is doing WAYYYY better than most of its continental brethren.

This is a really good book about the Diamond trade if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0452283701/sr=8-7/qid=1147659059/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-9350396-4405648?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I also got to tour the diamond markets in Antwerp when I was in college. Which was actually a big deal, because the traders REALLY don't like tour groups. But we were able to pull a few strings. I have to say, for the 30 minutes that I was on the floor, I have never felt so uncomfortable in my entire life. If evil stares and dirty looks were bullets, me and the 4 people I were with would surely have died of lead poisoning.

Fascinating industry... and truly rotten to the core.

Michner -The Covenant. He's the master of the trade. I think I'll check out Smith though too. The 1800's in colonial Africa were a fascinating time.

Ah,yes I forgot that one....definately interesting times.

I've seen the shows on discovery about the trade and the methods of procurement by the cutters/wholesalers. That DeBeers can dictate the distribution of a commodity so totally and for so long is remarkable. But then those guys seem to pass on the same level of ruthlessness when dealing with the retail operations. I was very impressed thnough, by the lack of written contracts. Kind of like mob.

I've seen the shows on discovery about the trade and the methods of procurement by the cutters/wholesalers. That DeBeers can dictate the distribution of a commodity so totally and for so long is remarkable. But then those guys seem to pass on the same level of ruthlessness when dealing with the retail operations. I was very impressed thnough, by the lack of written contracts. Kind of like mob.

Everything is done on a handshake.

I literally saw a guy pull out a piece of paper with probably 10 diamonds inside... guy across the table looked at them thru a loop... they shook hands, deal was done. They went their separate ways.

Also... from what I understand... the diamond industry is almost 100% tax free. The Belgian government doesn't force the issue, of course, because they value what it does for the local economy.

Everything is done on a handshake.

I literally saw a guy pull out a piece of paper with probably 10 diamonds inside... guy across the table looked at them thru a loop... they shook hands, deal was done. They went their separate ways.

Also... from what I understand... the diamond industry is almost 100% tax free. The Belgian government doesn't force the issue, of course, because they value what it does for the local economy.

Would be kind of hard to regulate an industry with no paper trail. It's strange how we are fascinated by behavior so different from our own. Goes for lot's of things I suppose. The Hasidics in NY were big players when I lived there, I'm sure they still are. They would walk down the street with briefcases that probably contained millions and everyone knew it. I was always worried about my wallet. We're the Dutch diamond brokers Hasidics too?

Also, South Africa is WAYYYY more dangerous than most of its continental brethren.

Not necessarily so. Crime might be epidemic in proportion, but it's easier to escape than disease. Same as most large cities, if you keep your wits about you, you're usually ok. SA is a huge tourist destination (with first class ameneties) and the incidents involving foreigners are a small percentage of the total stats.

Woo..

look at the pretty rock.

I don't know, am I the only one that feels inherently stupid that when you boil it all down, all that it is is a glittery rock?

How much have we truly progressed since cave days?

~Bang

no no, not just pretty rock...

my precioussssss......

goldeagleset.jpg

EDIT: AAAAAAGHH! 700 POSTS!! I JUST LOSS COOLEY!!!! DAMMMMIT!! :doh:

Not necessarily so. Crime might be epidemic in proportion, but it's easier to escape than disease. Same as most large cities, if you keep your wits about you, you're usually ok. SA is a huge tourist destination (with first class ameneties) and the incidents involving foreigners are a small percentage of the total stats.

I had a professor in college who used to go to South Africa on vacation (safaris and such I guess)

Anyways... he used to tell us that when the sun went down... NOBODY went outside. If you did... you were a goner. Didn't matter what part of town you were in, which hotel you were in, etc. He said you could look out the window after dark and the streets were basically deserted.

Basically... go out after dark, you're a goner. That was back around 96-97 though... not sure if it has gotten any better (or worse?).

I had a professor in college who used to go to South Africa on vacation (safaris and such I guess)

Anyways... he used to tell us that when the sun went down... NOBODY went outside. If you did... you were a goner.

It is dangerous but he was over exagerating. Ive stayed there.

Archived