Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Best First Round Pick

joeysports19

I think that Sean Taylor is our best pick in a long time. He has the potiential to be in the HOF. As long as he stays out of trouble.

Sean Taylor, in my opinion, will be up there with the likes of Ronnie Lott and Night Train Lane as one of the best, most feared safeties in the game's history. Nobody goes deep on us when Sean Taylor's back there. I've seen at least 10 receivers make no more than a token attempt for a catch b/c they knew Sean Taylor was on his way. He's a special team stud as well. And remember, he's still very, very young and, it's hard to believe it, but he's only barely touched upon his potential. I cannot wait to see his career and this defense continue to grow with him setting the tone.

And to those who say he's not as good as Lavar was b/c he hasn't gone to Pro Bowls- he was robbed, flat out robbed. How can anyone possibly claim that Roy Williams is better than ST, especially after seeing that D get lit up deep by Moss and Lloyd, among others? Most Dallas fans I know will even admit this. But this just goes to show what a popularity contest the Pro Bowl is.

Let me tell you, as a quarterback (even though its only high school) I've learned from experience that there are some players that are so good you don't even bother to look at their side of the field. In ST's case, it's not a side of the field, it's everything more than 10 yards downfield, and even when you only throw the ball 5 yards, sometimes he changes his mind and decides to just destroy people. Ask Patrick Crayton.

Sean Taylor is by far the best pick. Bailey is second, Samuels is third. Worst by far was Andre Johnson. People can say Shuler but at least Shuler played and beat Dallas once. Andre Johnson never, and I stress never, saw the field for even one play and he was a first round pick. Anyone who wonders why we sucked for the 90's. Look at the first round draft picks.

Andre Johnson (Bust)

Michael Westbrook, (Bust)

Heath Shuler(bust)

Tom Carter(actually a decent pick had a good 10 year career but half with the bears)

Desmond Howard, (Big bust as a WR, decent kick returner)

and Bobby Willson ( big bust, never was a decent starter)

That is 5 out of six 1st rounders that were busts. That will cripple a franchise for a decade, which it did. We started to come out of it, when we got Bailey, Samuels, LaVar, blew it again with Gardner, Ramsey, Taylor, Campbell(we shall see) Rogers(can play). It took several years of decent drafting to get back to competitive just as it took several years of bad drafting to kills us.

Champ Bailey : Because We wanted him so bad that we passed on Ricky falling to us which New Orleans gave us everything for him and a 1st and 3rd the next year. Then Champ was very productive for us and we managed to get Portis out of trading Champ. So Champ hands down just b/c he has netted us so many players Having the Champ/Saints trade got us Lavar and Samuels the next year so that was a huge pick for us.

Heath Shuler.

Because he set your franchise back a good deal. ;)

Anything to help my Cowboys. :D

But seriously, right now, Samuels because of the incredible importance of stability at the LT spot.

Knowing you have that for years to come when you draft a player like Samuels is very comforting.

Taylor though, in the end, may end up being the best of the lot.

the best first round picks for us would be lavar, sean taylor and champ bailey.

and those aren't necessarily in order.

i'm basing these rankings on what they did for us on the field. i know there will be some lavar haters out there but you can't deny that you were loving this guy the first three years we had them. sean taylor is having a comparable impact and champ bailey was among the top 3 cornerbacks in the league when we had him and still is.

remember when michael westbrook threw his helmet on the ground in the playing field in a monday night game vs. the giants. the penalty put us out of field goal range for the win in overtime, and the game ended in a tie. Westbrook was a loser!

YEP, i almost got kicked out of my college dorm room for that. I went nuts! Smashing things and kicking doors. God I hate that guy. and Norv on the sidelines looking confused as always.

For the time being, I would say that Samuels and Bailey are probably the Redskins' best first-round choices of the 1990s. But in the long run, I believe our best picks will be Taylor, Rogers and Campbell.

I'm very interested to see what Campbell does this season. I'm hoping he could eventually develop into a an elite QB.

in the end of it all.... IMO there will never be another player like Sean Taylor.... no one. he is the BEST first round pick we've ever picked. others come close... like Bailey, but if you put potential into it... no one beats ST out... i love the man.

Archived