Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trip to the Abacos

TheKurp

After vacationing many years in St. John I decided to try someplace new. My girlfriend and I spent last week on Elbow Cay. No television, no radio, no newspapers, and no cars. Not that they don't have these things in the Abacos, I just decided to eliminate them from my life for the week.

I will definitely return in the very near future.

http://community.webshots.com/album/550191813JJGFOw/0

Glad you had a good time. Hopetown is a great place. People really should look into it more. Treasure cay is cool too. you got Marsh Harbor right across the water. The fishing off elbow has produced some of the biggest blue marlin in the world. Diving and snorkeling can be a blast. I'm sure you must have done a little of that. This time of year there are many fishing tournaments in the abacos. You should check out the docks if you like to see alot of big expensive boats. How about the CRACKED CONCH! MMMMMMM!

Never heard of Elbow Cay or the Abacos. Where is it?

The Abacos are part of the Bahamas. They're a group of islands that lie approximately 200 miles due east of Palm Beach, Florida.

Not that I have kids, but the Abacos appear ideally suited for a family vacation. There are tons of beaches and houses can be rented for reasonable prices (many come with private docks or nearby access to docks). A 17' Boston Whaler will run $575/wk and a 23' Albury $925/wk. As long as you stay within the Sea of Abaco, mimimum boat experience is all that is required (that and a nice set of charts).

The Abacos are extremely dog friendly. Most of the small airlines that fly out of Ft. Lauderdale, Melbourne, Orlando, Daytona, and Miami will allow dogs right in the cabin and charge excess baggage rates. (E.g., Vintage Props & Jets charges $0.75 / lb ). Not all of the houses available for rent allow dogs, but many do (with a deposit). Harbor Lodge, a hotel in Hopetown on Elbow Cay, allows dogs. The entire time I was there I only saw two restaurants that didn't allow dogs (some will require that you sit in their outdoor area).

I expect I will return within the year. The next time I'm definitely bringing my youngest golden along.

I expect I will return within the year. The next time I'm definitely bringing my youngest golden along.

I have a golden too... he would have a blast down there. When he was a puppy he was afraid of the waves (my sister has a place on the beach) but he's pretty fearless now

Although he would probably drink about 5 gallons of sal****er the first day and be yacking it up all night :doh:

Thanks for the info

Archived