Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insiders McShay's NFC wrap

aqq

He likes the pick of McIntosh but does not like Montgomery. Personally if Greg Blache likes him that speaks volumes.

Washington Redskins

was.gifBest pick: Rocky McIntosh, OLB, Miami. The Redskins put very little value on draft picks, so trading up in the second round in order to secure McIntosh was business as usual. In my opinion, McIntosh is one of the more underrated prospects in the 2006 class and will get an opportunity to prove his worth right away for a Redskins defense in dire need of help at his position.

Worst pick: Anthony Montgomery DT, Minnesota. Montgomery has the size and athletic ability to develop into an adequate backup, but he offers little as a pass rusher and needs to get stronger as a run defender. There were several higher-rated defensive tackle prospects on the board when the Redskins took Montgomery in the fifth round, including Tennessee's Jesse Mahelona, Virginia Tech's Jonathan Lewis and Louisville's Montavious Stanley.

Work to do: The Redskins seem to prefer free agency to the draft. While they did address their top need with McIntosh, it was unrealistic to believe they could find an upgrade over ROG Derrick Dockery or seriously improve their defensive line depth.

We don't need an upgrade over Dockery, we just need depth.

Furthermore, our depth on the D-line seems more than adequate. How many guys does he expect to get hurt anyway?

If we're thin anywhere it's at CB and OL...

I kinda agree with the analysis, but I disagree with this guys expectations. A 5th round pick becoming a rotational player is just fine by me. If Montgomery is able to spell Griffin and Salavae for a series or two a game than he should be considered successful. Furthermore, I think Montgomery is gonna surprise alot of people. He isn't particularly strong (20 reps of 225) but if he corrects this he has sufficient size and speed to be effective. I haven't seen him play enough to judge, but I have heard that he uses his hands really well.

What people don't get is our system! Our D-line is not supposed to be full of pass rushers, but more of run stuffers. This allows for more creative blitzes from the LBs as they do not have to worry about the run as well. They rely on the D-Line (DTs specifically) to stuff the run.

I think when these media critics analyze teams, they need to look at the SYSTEM that is trying to be accomplished vs just individial talent at a position. Why do you think Salvea has been a good starter for us?

At least one of his assumptions actually has some validation to it as far as Roger McIntosh proving alot of his skeptics wrong. I really do believe that this kid can be up there with the Ray Lewis' and Brian Urlachers. Mark me saying this only: he will be better than Lavar Arrington "disciplined-wise." Mike Montgomery can develop as a solid pass rusher with time, but will be used primarily as a run stopper.

what is wrong with dock? and how many DTs in this league are legit pass rushers. most are run stuffers.

Did you notice CP did not get much yardage when he ran on that side. Dock is decent-- but, think about the Dpeth we would have were he on the bench.

However, it is worth noting that noone at 53 was going to start over Dock in his first year.

like the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't have any holes in 2005? :laugh:

the Steelers defensive backfield outside of Troy Polamalu is average. in fact the team just signed Ryan Clark to replace Chris Hope who the Steelers didn't even try to re-sign.

and the article here is so worried about Derrick Dockery? :laugh:

Archived