Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

De La Hoya vs Mayorga

pez

Anybody watching this fight tomorrow? Unfortunately I will miss it, but it could turn out to be a good fight...

box.jpg

From the May 3, 2006 Press Conference:

After a bizarre two-hour delay and a personal visit to the dressing room of his opponent, Ricardo Mayorga and his camp finally joined the press conference at the MGM Grand to promote his weekend fight with Oscar De La Hoya. Predicting he would knock out the six-time world champion within six rounds, Mayorga generally refrained from the trash talk that has been his calling card for the bout, although he did present De La Hoya with a skirt emblazoned with the phrase "Golden Girl."

De La Hoya, who last fought as a middleweight in a loss to Bernard Hopkins, said that his return to 154 pounds was a comfortable one, and that a victory Saturday night would "close the book" on his storied career.

pressconf_02_482x246.jpg

Yup. My folks just got back from the Caribbean as a matter of fact. They spent four days with our friends in Mayaguez. I'll be drinking cubas with Cruzan dark and smoking an illegal romeo & julieta. I hope it is a good fight. Every time I seem to pony for one of these I get punked by a fiasco. I think De La Hoya has enough in the tank for one last good fight and he is a far superior boxer to Mayorga. If he gets tagged with a good one though, who knows.

ESPN said last night that Mayorga has threatened to not fight because he now wants $8mil to fight instead of the $2mil he signed for.

I hope it goes as planned. I hope De Le Hoya knocks him out quick!

ESPN said last night that Mayorga has threatened to not fight because he now wants $8mil to fight instead of the $2mil he signed for.

I hope it goes as planned. I hope De Le Hoya knocks him out quick!

I heard this as well, but i haven't heard any updates. To be honest, I didn't even know this was tomorrow night until a couple of days ago (I'm more pumped about the three straight big fight saturdays in June), but there's a grondswell with my friends to order it, so I think I'm going to get it.

Everyone at my place will be pro De La Hoya, I'm sure...

http://www.fightnews.com/perea21.htm

http://www.fightwriter.com/?q=node/166

Mayorga originally threatened to back out of the fight because he didn't want the $2 million he signed for. He wants to be paid $8 million like Oscar. After talking to Don King, Mayorga settled for the $$$ he signed for. There's been a lot of trash talk leading up to this fight. Should be a decent fight, if Oscar shows the determination like he did against Fernando Vargas (who totally disrespected him)and scored an 11th round KO. I think Oscar will outbox Mayorga like Felix Trinidad did 2 years ago. But if Oscar decides to man up and fight Mayorga, he'll go to sleep. Mayorga can take a punch, and can definitely deliver them. The Golden Boy doesn't like getting hit, so I want Mayorga to beat the crap out of Oscar :evil: , but I think Oscar will just box and run. Unfortunately, De La Hoya by unanimous decision. :(

Classic matchup between and boxer and a puncher. And now there seems to be some legitimate bad blood between the two, manufactured or not. I really don't want to make a prediction on this one, I just want to sit back and enjoy it. Should be a very entertaining fight.

Has anyone else seen the Countdown to De La Hoya-Mayorga that HBO is airing? Usually those don't entertain me much but that one actually got me pumped for the fight. If Oscar wins, it could setup a Pretty Boy-Golden Boy matchup late this year (Oscar already has September 16 reserved for a PPV).

Archived