Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Economy Adds 211,000 Jobs in March; Unemployment Rate at 4 1/2 Year Low: Foxnews.com

nelms

I am from the same world you are from. I've worked 80-90 hours a week on some of my jobs, jobs that I have hated. But I did it because I needed the money. I did it to further my career. I made sacrifices. Stop ****ing and work harder. If you have a healthy body and a healthy mind, there is absolutely nothing that is stopping you from being successful in this country. Nothing.

And if you don't have a healthy body? Are you saying "Oh well" do those people?

What if your company doesn't allow you to work "80-90 hours" a week? What if you choose a civil service profession that is traditionally low paying (ie teaching), do you not care for those people? They ARE sacraficing. However, unlike you, they are sacraficing to educate the next generation. Not for themselves.

I think the McDonalds worker in 1999 felt better about being able to afford college, health insurance, and their future in general.

Yes.

Why?

Because, while the wages at McDonalds haven't made a huge jump. The costs of state university has.

Now I know costs of state U have gone up, but were they ever low enough for a McDonalds 5.15 an hour worker to afford it? Or health insurance in 1999?

Or do we just conviently forget how many people had trouble affording drugs in 1999? Or how interest rates on student loans were higher in 1999?

Now I know costs of state U have gone up, but were they ever low enough for a McDonalds 5.15 an hour worker to afford it? Or health insurance in 1999?

Or do we just conviently forget how many people had trouble affording drugs in 1999? Or how interest rates on student loans were higher in 1999?

The people working there were getting student loans, or help for parents who possibly don't work at a GM plant anymore. Anyways, 5.15 an hour used to be able to help with books and fuel to get to school.

Look, any way you slice it.

You'd have a near impossible time selling your message to the average american who its impacting.

What if your company doesn't allow you to work "80-90 hours" a week? What if you choose a civil service profession that is traditionally low paying (ie teaching), do you not care for those people? They ARE sacraficing. However, unlike you, they are sacraficing to educate the next generation. Not for themselves.

If you don't have a healthy body, that's a whole another issue.

If your company doesn't allow you to work 80-90 hours a week, then get another job. Or get a second job. If you CHOSE a civil service job, well that was your CHOICE. If that job doesn't make ends meet, get another job. Or get a second job. It's about CHOICES. No one is telling you where to work, how hard to work, when to work. That is up to YOU. It is YOUR choice. This is a free country. This is great country with endless opportunities. It's what you do with those opportunities.

The people working there were getting student loans, or help for parents who possibly don't work at a GM plant anymore. Anyways, 5.15 an hour used to be able to help with books and fuel to get to school.

Look, any way you slice it.

You'd have a near impossible time selling your message to the average american who its impacting.

Well average being 16.85 an hour

I don't think it is hard to sell, especialyl with consumer confidence numbers on the rise. I simply do not think the good news is being heard ,while the bad news is being accentueted

If you don't have a healthy body, that's a whole another issue.

If your company doesn't allow you to work 80-90 hours a week, then get another job. Or get a second job. If you CHOSE a civil service job, well that was your CHOICE. If that job doesn't make ends meet, get another job. Or get a second job. It's about CHOICES. No one is telling you where to work, how hard to work, when to work. That is up to YOU. It is YOUR choice. This is a free country. This is great country with endless opportunities. It's what you do with those opportunities.

Are you freaking serious? Seriously, I'm all for working hard. I'm all for people making their own choices in life. But you need to understand something. NOT EVERYONE IS YOU! Not everyone has the same family situation you have. Some families only have one parent. How would it be possible for them to work 80 hours per week? Should everyone who feels they are underpaid up and leave their job?

People shouldn't HAVE to work 80 hours a week to keep above the poverty level. People shouldn't have to choose between a mortgage payment or their electricity bill (which BTW, it about to happen to people in my area). Sometimes I hate being a Republican because people who share your beliefs have no sympathy for those who are not as fortunate.

I don't think it is hard to sell, especialyl with consumer confidence numbers on the rise. I simply do not think the good news is being heard ,while the bad news is being accentueted

this I do agree with. The "bad" news is always being accentuated. However, the fact remains, that while yes, unemployment is down, people ARE still struggling.

Are you freaking serious? Seriously, I'm all for working hard. I'm all for people making their own choices in life. But you need to understand something. NOT EVERYONE IS YOU! Not everyone has the same family situation you have. Some families only have one parent. How would it be possible for them to work 80 hours per week? Should everyone who feels they are underpaid up and leave their job?

People shouldn't HAVE to work 80 hours a week to keep above the poverty level. People shouldn't have to choose between a mortgage payment or their electricity bill (which BTW, it about to happen to people in my area). Sometimes I hate being a Republican because people who share your beliefs have no sympathy for those who are not as fortunate.

When talking to him, try this.

alphabet.gif

It might help.

80-90 hours a week have you lost your mind? :insane:

-Grant

Name me one time in our history it has been a GOOD thing to be an hourly wage worker

Or a time when an hourly wage worker was not in such shape where gas prices climbing did not effect them

It was the same as in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, if you do not have the skills to get a well paying job, you are at the mercy of the market, and the fluctuations that go on with things such as commodity prices and market risks

If you do have the skills to have a well paying job, you can absorb these fluctuations much better

You are correct that it is no picnic being an hourly wage worker, but we do need them in our economy.

By your logic why do we even bother to track whether wages are keeping up with the cost of living? It's just irrelevant. So what if they could make their rent, car and insurance payments before and now they can't in the same jobs. They couldn't take a trip to the French Riviera, and they still can't, so nothing has changed.

You are correct that it is no picnic being an hourly wage worker, but we do need them in our economy.

By your logic why do we even bother to track whether wages are keeping up with the cost of living? It's just irrelevant. So what if they could make their rent, car and insurance payments before and now they can't in the same jobs. They couldn't take a trip to the French Riviera, and they still can't, so nothing has changed.

It is relevant. However in 1999 minimum wage hourly workers had trouble making rent car and insurance payments, as well as affording health care

So name me a time when a minimum wage hourly employee COULD do that above, and why these facts are being highlighted now, where as these conditions existed in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s for those who did not make as much money as those of us with solid salaries and full benifits

SHF what are you doing here? It is obvious that if they were bad at one point and worse now then it is worse for them.

SHF what are you doing here? It is obvious that if they were bad at one point and worse now then it is worse for them.

an excellent point.

It feels like we're saying..... even with jobs numbers. the American worker doesn't feel good about the current jobs market, and economy.

and he's saying.....well like Prince says, we're going to party like its 1999 when things also sucked.

However, for some reason. People didn't believe they sucked as badly.

The question is............ why?

It is relevant. However in 1999 minimum wage hourly workers had trouble making rent car and insurance payments, as well as affording health care

So name me a time when a minimum wage hourly employee COULD do that above, and why these facts are being highlighted now, where as these conditions existed in the 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s for those who did not make as much money as those of us with solid salaries and full benifits

You have changed the subject. I'm not talking about minimum wage - that has always sucked. I am talking about AVERAGE wage, which has recently been dropping compared to cost of living. Maybe ten years ago they were working in a GM plant or something making 20/hour. Now that job is in Korea and they are working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Or they are in the same job, but they haven't gotten a raise in several years and their share of heath insurance has tripled in cost. Or whatever.

The point is, it makes perfect sense that these average people would care more about this stuff than about where the Dow Average is this week.

Boo-frickety-hoo. Some people are allergic to hard work and are lazy. I have no sympathy for those type of people. My mother, as an immigrant, worked menial jobs to save enough money to go to secretarial school (not college mind you, secretarial school). She started out as a secretary and when she retired 30 years later, she was the head of a major department in her company. Hard work. Sacrifice.

Boo-frickety-hoo. Some people are allergic to hard work and are lazy. I have no sympathy for those type of people. My mother, as an immigrant, worked menial jobs to save enough money to go to secretarial school (not college mind you, secretarial school). She started out as a secretary and when she retired 30 years later, she was the head of a major department in her company. Hard work. Sacrifice.

Wow. Such compasion.

And for you to compare the economy today to the economy of 50 years ago is ignorant.

You have changed the subject. I'm not talking about minimum wage - that has always sucked. I am talking about AVERAGE wage, which has recently been dropping compared to cost of living. Maybe ten years ago they were working in a GM plant or something making 20/hour. Now that job is in Korea and they are working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Or they are in the same job, but they haven't gotten a raise in several years and their share of heath insurance has tripled in cost. Or whatever.

The point is, it makes perfect sense that these average people would care more about this stuff than about where the Dow Average is this week.

The subject I thought was hourly workers, we went to McDonalds had lunch and here we are

What am I doing Liberty? I am trying to show that the hourly worker has always struggled, throughout time, has always struggled making ends meet and has always had to make sacrifices

It was like that during the tech boom, it is like that now, if you do not have a salaried job, or aren't running your own business making decent cash, you will struggle to pay rent, insurance, and education, where those who have jobs with fringe benifits will be better off

Thats the point of all this

Now I will go back to trying to be productive at work today, I'll continue this in the evening

WTF does this have to do with anything? We are talking about real people working hard doing real jobs, who are finding their real pay slipping and don't like it.

ps - did that company she worked for promote everyone who worked hard to "head of a major department" or did it still have secretaries too?

The subject I thought was hourly workers, we went to McDonalds had lunch and here we are

What am I doing Liberty? I am trying to show that the hourly worker has always struggled, throughout time, has always struggled making ends meet and has always had to make sacrifices

It was like that during the tech boom, it is like that now, if you do not have a salaried job, or aren't running your own business making decent cash, you will struggle to pay rent, insurance, and education, where those who have jobs with fringe benifits will be better off

Thats the point of all this

Now I will go back to trying to be productive at work today, I'll continue this in the evening

yes they struggled in the industrial revolution too but that doesn't mean their conditions are comparable. It isn't black and white as good and bad. Even if they can never afford health insurance maybe at one point they could afford rubbing alcohol and bandaids and now they can't even do that.

WTF does this have to do with anything? We are talking about real people working hard doing real jobs, who are finding their real pay slipping and don't like it.

ps - did that company she worked for promote everyone who worked hard to "head of a major department" or did it still have secretaries too?

It's no use Predicto, he's only concerned with what is his. Everyone else be damned.

Archived