Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Down!

D'Pablo

For practical purposes, we only need one starter to emerge from this draft (if that... considering we have Holdman, Clemons, Sykes, etc... competing for the OLB job). We do, however, need depth along the O-line, D-line, and secondary. Fortunately, this draft is deep and can go a long ways toward solidifying this team for not only this season, but for years to come.

i wonder if it is possible to trade this years 2nd round pick and next years 2nd or 3rd for a higher a 2nd round pick and a 4th and 5th......that would make me happy.....that would be perfect actually!!

this years 2nd pick 53

next years 2nd or 3rd

FOR

this years 2nd pick 35

4th and 5th round picks

That would be a trade up tho skinfan09, this thread is detailing trading down. I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind (trading down) but i dont think we can accurately call it until we see how the first round pans out.

According to the draft value chart the #53 pick is worth 370 points. That would be the equivalent of two middle third round picks. If we could pick up two thirds in a deep draft it would definitely be worth looking at. For example the 80th pick is worth 190 points and the 82nd pick is worth 180 points which equals the 370 our 2nd rd. pick is worth.

Well, trading up or down depends on the caliber of player that will be there. There is no direct coorelation with talent and number drafted. I see this year as picks 33 - 43 to be high caliber players,grades 80 and picks 43 - 53 to be much lower caliber,grades 70. This year's draft seems to have an influx of good players at the top of the 2nd round for the positions we need and then a deep drop off. So your options could be trade down or back and draft a bum who may ride the bench for a few years and then get cut or trade up and draft a starter. LB's taken at the top of the 2nd in recent years have proven to be very successful.

trading down wouldnt accomplish anything. it isnt like we have an abundance of high picks now...why try to get even more second day picks?

We wouldn't look to get 2nd day picks. As I pointed out above and gave a link to the value chart our pick is worth 2 middle third rounders. If we could find a team w/ a couple of thirds (I think Minny is one) we could turn 1 first day pick into 2.

I actually like the idea of trading down. Two guys that I am particularly interested in are Abdul Hodge and Cedric Griffin. Both of these guys appear to be early to mid 3rd round picks. Though I doubt neither would be a started this year, both would give us depth in positions where we need it (MLB and CB).

At #53 we aren't really looking for a guy who can immediately start. We are very naive to think that next years starting WLB is coming without moving up a number of picks. I would be very happy getting two very viable projects from the third rather than one viable project in the 2nd.

Lets not forget both Dockery and Cooley were both third round picks. In fact both were selected with the 81st pick in the draft.

According to the draft value chart the #53 pick is worth 370 points. That would be the equivalent of two middle third round picks. If we could pick up two thirds in a deep draft it would definitely be worth looking at. For example the 80th pick is worth 190 points and the 82nd pick is worth 180 points which equals the 370 our 2nd rd. pick is worth.
Thats not a bad idea, some of the first rounders will drop into the 2nd, like always ala Smoot, which causes a domino effect. We could end up with a couple of 2nd round talents, only being picked in the 3rd round. The only risk with this is finding quality football players in the 2nd round is hard and dropping a round makes it even harder.

Looking at the roster right now there are about 48 locks, with 53 spots avalible.

Archived