Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Trade #53 for 2 3rds

method man

Frankly we don't have that many roster spots easily open at the moment to be acquiring a lot of pics. With the two offensive linemen we signed for depth, we're probably not going to dig a lot deeper here. Dockery has been a starter for three years. He's what you call a fantastic draft pick who's worked out from Day 1, gotten better, and has the physical nature to be dominating. People falling all over themselves to replace him with someone else completely unproven are just completely devoid of logic and thought.

Tight end has a guy named Chris Cooley, if you were wondering, who can flex between the traditional tight end spot and H-Back. Robert Johnson is a fairly live, huge body well familiar with Campbell, who is young and can hold down what we NEED out of the spot.

I think that Walter is fodder who is going to be cut. Pucillo is a marginal NFL player who will make the roster just because he can play center. Dockery is not at the point where he should be and still makes more mistakes than he should for a 3rd-year player. What is so bad about competition anyway? You would be bringing in a 3rd round pick to compete with Dockery for his job. Did I say that we should give Matua the job? No. I only said that these two should compete for that LG spot. If you think Dockery is as good as he is, then he should have no problems beating out a rookie 3rd round pick. Anyways, a backup OL trio of Molinaro, Pucillo, and Matua is very solid.

While Fauria has been relatively injury-free thus far, he has had foot problems the past two seasons. At 35, it is very possible that he will break down a bit this season. We need a pure tight end prospect who we can develop. I would rather take a Joe Klopfenstein/Dominique Byrd/Leonard Pope/Anthony Fasano over Robert Johnson.

If we get 2 3rds, we could use the remaining 5 picks as a means of infusing competition in training camp for backup positions. We could get draft a DT to compete with Boschetti and Killings for a backup DT job. We could draft 1 or 2 CBs to compete for the dime job. We could draft a safety to supplement the depth at the position as we have only 3 likely to make the roster as of now. We could also draft another OL to compete for a backup job. We could also draft a LB like Kai Parham to compete with the others.

The guy I like most out of day 1 is Fred Matua, the guard from USC. He is a fiery intense competitor who could possibly beat out Dockery. Because he was overshadowed by Deuce Lutui, however, I think Matua will fall to the 3rd. In the 3rd, we could also possibly get Anthony Fasano, Joe Klopstein, or Dominic Byrd, three tight ends who are good blockers and decent receivers. We did sign Fauria but he is 35. We need talent there for the future.

This thought occurred to me as well. The great thing about this strategy and one that suggests we trade a pick next year for this year is that the Redskins have decent flexibility in the draft.

Art singled out Dockery. If we get two 3rds for our 2nd we might be able to pick up two Dockery-calibur players.

I don't know what the Redskins will do, but I'm pretty sure they won't draft any RBs, or DLs too high this year. I sure as hell trust Gibbs leading the draft room than Spurrier, although the draft is always somewhat of a guessing game.

we still have legit needs, and trading down to obtain lower picks will only allow us to pick up worse players, and chances are it wont fill our needs

agreed. keep the pick there. the 2nd round is deep, there will be someone solid at 53. actually I wouldn't be suprised if we trade up if someone like cromartie happens to slip to the 2nd round. if not then dont expect to see any trades.

Archived