Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN radio to Snyder's stations

andyman

Snyder Cutting In on WTEM's ESPN Action

By Paul Farhi

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 7, 2006; Page C04

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is about to blitz his biggest sports-radio rival.

Snyder's Red Zebra Broadcasting, which owns three local radio stations, has acquired the rights to ESPN Radio's syndicated programs and will begin broadcasting them when Snyder's stations switch from a Spanish-language format to sports/talk in the next few months.

The news and call-in programs air on WTEM-AM (980), which is owned by radio giant Clear Channel Communications. The station airs ESPN's syndicated "Mike & Mike" program in the morning and "The Dan Patrick Show," starring the "SportsCenter" icon, in the afternoon.

The loss of the ESPN programs further weakens WTEM, which already is losing star talk-show host Tony Kornheiser (this summer, he becomes an analyst on ESPN's "Monday Night Football" telecasts). The Washington Post columnist does a live program on WTEM on weekday mornings.

link - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/06/AR2006040602066.html

This is big stuff. That explains what's happening with the ESPN programming, not that it matters if you have XM. I don't exactly lose sleep that Colin Cowherd can't be heard locally.

I'm very excited to hear about the launch of the stations, though.

I love our owner. What other team has an owner that goes out and does everything and anything to get our beloved Redskins out there in the public eye??? Does anything to fill holes we need to become Champions again? I dont think any current owners come close. Thanks Dan!!

Seems to explain why Czaban is getting a morning show.

Does this mean Slingczabe will no longer be on 980 in the afternoon or is the AM drive show just a syndication of his Fox show?

If we thought old Two Face attacked Coach Gibbs viciously in the past, wait 'till he starts now that Dan Snyder is a direct competitor of his.

[quote name=ntotoro

If we thought old Two Face attacked Coach Gibbs viciously in the past' date=' wait 'till he starts now that Dan Snyder is a direct competitor of his.[/quote]

Perhaps, but will anyone be listening???

what a joke...... Synder is an insecure bully. who is he going to have on in the afternoon? Larry Michael preaching how great he is.....

it's sad to think your two favorite sports teams (plus O's) are run by idiotic, money-hungry, freaks.

I know I'll catch flack for this, but I don't care.... it's how I feel. Still love the team more than anything, but it's how I feel....

what a joke...... Synder is an insecure bully. who is he going to have on in the afternoon? Larry Michael preaching how great he is.....

it's sad to think your two favorite sports teams (plus O's) are run by idiotic, money-hungry, freaks.

I know I'll catch flack for this, but I don't care.... it's how I feel. Still love the team more than anything, but it's how I feel....

Angelos and Snyder are nothing alike. Angelos turned the Orioles into a minor league team for a number of years to specifically drive down attendance so that he could keep a team out of DC and DC finally gets a team when he is promised a cut from the ownership sale. Now he is putting money back into the team.

Snyder made some initial mistakes which he even acknowledges, but he does put the money into the team and nobody can say he isn't trying to put the best product on the field.

Supply and Demand regarding ticket prices and parking. Basic business/economics.

I take it you're not a free-market guy?

You should be GLAD Snyder is as aggressive and progressive as he is ... maybe by his taking the bull by the horns and getting HIS message out there, this will finally force stations like 980 that have gone soft, lazy, uninformed and unaccountable for so long, to actually try to raise their games and compete.

So when does Art get his own show? :)

Seriously, this is the kind of local sports talk I want to hear - guys that are homers, but well-educated about the game with informed opinions, not just fawning idiots.

And certainly not bitter, self-loathing Skins "fans" like Czaban.

What's the word on the signal strength?

If I can't get 980 at night when I'm in D.C., and their signal is supposedly stronger than any of the 3 FM's....What difference does it make?

I think that's an AM radio thing. The stations cut down the transmitter strength after 6:00 PM or so. I can't remember the exact reason why. Something about the FCC requiring them to "power down" to avoid interference with other AM stations, but I can't remember the physics behind it.

I think that's an AM radio thing. The stations cut down the transmitter strength after 6:00 PM or so. I can't remember the exact reason why. Something about the FCC requiring them to "power down" to avoid interference with other AM stations, but I can't remember the physics behind it.

That's what I assumed at first as well.

But, the article (it is the Post) states that all 3 stations are weaker than 980.

Damn, if they couldn't just "cross the streams."

So when does Art get his own show? :)

Seriously, this is the kind of local sports talk I want to hear - guys that are homers, but well-educated about the game with informed opinions, not just fawning idiots.

And certainly not bitter, self-loathing Skins "fans" like Czaban.

In negotiations. I've asked for $1 million a show. For some reason that seems high to them. Go figure :).

I take it you're not a free-market guy?

You should be GLAD Snyder is as aggressive and progressive as he is ... maybe by his taking the bull by the horns and getting HIS message out there, this will finally force stations like 980 that have gone soft, lazy, uninformed and unaccountable for so long, to actually try to raise their games and compete.

maybe you're right... I know it's a free market, but I also see this, along with his fued with the WP, as ways to brainwash fans into thinking he is right and they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and he is trying to bully people into a corner.

maybe you're right... I know it's a free market, but I also see this, along with his fued with the WP, as ways to brainwash fans into thinking he is right and they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and he is trying to bully people into a corner.

We see it differently, my friend.

You see a bully.

I see a guy kicking serious ass in the business world, doing exactly what I (and I'm guessing, you) would be doing if we could only figure out how. :)

Archived