Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN radio to Snyder's stations

andyman

980 is actually pretty spotty, despite what the article says. Any chance that Snyder can either improve the signals of these assorted AM stations? Someone who knows the answer, please...

I've been in broadcast for many years, so let me tackle this'n:

I'm too lazy to look up licensing data for 980, and I don't live in the DC/VA area (Florida) but my guess is that they are not a clear channel (not the same as the network by the same name). A clear channel station does not have to power down at sunset. Regardless, they are probably a 5,000 watt daytime station and that translates into a fairly good signal daytime, but at sunset they probably have to drop power to ~<1,000 watts directional. If you are not located within their nightime contours, you are out of luck. If you live in a hilly area -- anytime, day or night -- you also won't get a good signal.

About the only thing they can do is if the station has an old transmitter, they can replace it with a newer xmitter, and that alone will help the signal. Still, if they are directional and not clear channel, the signal will remain spotty, especially at night.

I'm OK with this concept because I am tired of the biased reporting that 'Skins fans have to endure.

However, after the SB officiating and the trend for teams to deliver their own news,

I can't help but think Vince McMahon isn't far behind.

"Wait...a late breaking development...

LaVar has just hit GW over the head with a chair and has stolen CP's Championship Belt !!! Derrick Dockery is in hot pursuit. " :D

Archived