Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN radio to Snyder's stations

andyman

maybe you're right... I know it's a free market, but I also see this, along with his fued with the WP, as ways to brainwash fans into thinking he is right and they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and he is trying to bully people into a corner.

Except, Snyder has been right and the media has largely been wrong. If as a fan you've dumbly bought into the wrong, you need a way to realize it. Don't you?

I despise this trend in sports. The line between sports journalism and entertainment is blurred enough as it is. But the fact that the major organs covering sports and the teams and stars are now in multiple business relationships together is taking us into a very bad area.

One need look no further than the unholy alliance of ESPN and Barry Bonds this year. Bonds' steroid abuse is THE story in sports right now. And ESPN has pretty much punted in its coverage. The damn story has led the 6:00 Evening News while SportsCenter treats it is a he said/she said. Jeez...do you think the fact that Barry Bonds now stars in a prime time show on ESPN has anything to do with it?

Then look at the Red Sox and the Boston Globe, WEEI, and The New York Times. Howard Bryant at the Boston Herald went after them for the "cartel" they have formed and how it denies access to information:

"The Red Sox are part of the growing synergistic cartel that maintains addresses at Yawkey Way, Morrissey Boulevard and Brookline Avenue (where NESN is headquartered). The New York Times Company owns the Boston Globe, and a piece of the Red Sox, which owns NESN. The Red Sox are also business partners with WEEI, the most influential sports radio station in the region. That means that the cartel not only has the means, but a financial interest in controlling information. That includes history. Boston has always been known for its insularity, but such naked consolidation is all a little too cozy to be acceptable."

This is true elsewhere. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette owns a stake in the Pirates while KDKA owns the broadcast rights. Thus the #1 paper and #1 radio and tv stations in Western PA have a direct business agreement with the local baseball team. This has to affect coverage.

I don't have a problem with Snyder forming his own network. That is clearly the trend in sports. What I do have a problem with is Snyder's ongoing attempt to create his own house press organ. By getting in bed with ESPN, that coverage now becomes compromised. He is already at war with the Post. So if he controls the radio business, has a business arrangement with ESPN, and can shut out the Post, the only story we can get will be Snyder's version of the truth. A billion dollar business should have more accoutability than that.

Except, Snyder has been right and the media has largely been wrong. If as a fan you've dumbly bought into the wrong, you need a way to realize it. Don't you?

And obviously, plenty have bought into the wrong judging by how many people talk about how we overspents in FA, letting go of Lavar was a mistake (funny thing is, Philly was divided between TO supporters and haters, that's what being me first and a volatile personality does. Same thing is happening with Lavar but so many would call him a victimized saint), Ramsey got shafted by Gibbs, ect. I think these radio stations are a great idea. It's not like he's putting anyone out of business, the rest of the media can still spout their uninformed, unresearched garbage. It's just now we'll be able to readily see the other side of the story. You know, the one from people who've actually BEEN to Redskin's Park before.

McMetal, I don't see how Red Zebra is going to cater to the fan who wants their sports talk to concentrate on the local scene. The ESPN syndicated shows certainly won't do it. Maybe Snyder's stations will include some local programming but I guess we'll see.

I agree with Om that hopefully this will make 980 raise their game. The article Andyman mentioned indicates that Tod Castleberry is now with Red Zebra, so who's in charge at 980 now? Andy Pollin needs to wake up and deliver what the people want, which is more of the callers driving the agenda than the hosts. Unfortunately, I bet 980's move will be to bring Jim Rome back (he's not ESPN, right?).......oh boy!!!

Do any of those 3 stations hit the Columbia, Baltimore, or Owings mills area? Or are they all DC and south?

It already pisses me off when I cant get Skins games on TV up here sometimes. Just one couth south and they get Fox 5. Here in baltimore county I have to hope they put the skins on or go to a bar with Direct TV.

Snyder Cutting In on WTEM's ESPN Action

By Paul Farhi

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, April 7, 2006; Page C04

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder is about to blitz his biggest sports-radio rival.

Snyder's Red Zebra Broadcasting, which owns three local radio stations, has acquired the rights to ESPN Radio's syndicated programs and will begin broadcasting them when Snyder's stations switch from a Spanish-language format to sports/talk in the next few months.

The news and call-in programs air on WTEM-AM (980), which is owned by radio giant Clear Channel Communications. The station airs ESPN's syndicated "Mike & Mike" program in the morning and "The Dan Patrick Show," starring the "SportsCenter" icon, in the afternoon.

The loss of the ESPN programs further weakens WTEM, which already is losing star talk-show host Tony Kornheiser (this summer, he becomes an analyst on ESPN's "Monday Night Football" telecasts). The Washington Post columnist does a live program on WTEM on weekday mornings.

link - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/06/AR2006040602066.html

Thanks Larry!! :applause:

what a joke...... Synder is an insecure bully

:laugh: Let me guess....another jealous liberal Cowboy fan? How can you hate on the greatest owner in all sports? This guy is cutting edge in everything that he does. He's a role model to me! He's a fairy tale come true...middle class....becomes wealthy...sells business that he worked day and night with at about the age of 33 years ....buys childhood favorite NFL team. What else do you want?

I am proud of the "DAN" as he's the man! Six Flags will be better as well as all his media outlets. :cheers:

I'm mixed on this. If this was a political organization, everyone would be up in arms about it controlling the media. However, it is just a football team, so it isn't really crucial to life. And I certainly like the inside views we get.

I think 980 will have plenty of things to talk about/report after Snyder creates a blacklist of topics, like for example, how many trees Snyder turns in to firewood. Or maybe more up to date, the ongoing negotiations between Snyder and the US Government to actually purchase the Capitol Building and fly a Redskins flag atop it on Sundays.

maybe you're right... I know it's a free market, but I also see this, along with his fued with the WP, as ways to brainwash fans into thinking he is right and they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and he is trying to bully people into a corner.

Deep breath, amigo. Whose brain are you worried about being washed? Who do you see being bullied into a corner? The MAJOR media? I don't think anyone is in danger, seriously. :)

And don't neglect either the business side of the deal--maximizing the return on an $800 mil investment (reality-wise, I hear Dan endorses capitalism)--or, if there is extra-personal motivation, the difference between bullying and self-defense.

Lombardi's_kid_brother--I despise this trend in sports. The line between sports journalism and entertainment is blurred enough as it is.
And, connectedly, the line between sports journalism and the professional ethics of news reporting in general has broadened from a line to a 4-lane overpass in many cases.
But the fact that the major organs covering sports and the teams and stars are now in multiple business relationships together is taking us into a very bad area.
Personally, I think we are already in a bad area as you and I just described, and anything that stirs the pot is good. The system needs a shake-up.
One need look no further than the unholy alliance of ESPN and Barry Bonds this year. Bonds' steroid abuse is THE story in sports right now. And ESPN has pretty much punted in its coverage. The damn story has led the 6:00 Evening News while SportsCenter treats it is a he said/she said. Jeez...do you think the fact that Barry Bonds now stars in a prime time show on ESPN has anything to do with it?
And has anyone in the entire nation had any difficulty in hearing about Barry Bonds?
What I do have a problem with is Snyder's ongoing attempt to create his own house press organ.
I think it will increase the flow of available info, not inhibit or limit it. The other guys will continue doing what they have been. Plus it makes money while further involving the connection to something you love.
By getting in bed with ESPN, that coverage now becomes compromised. He is already at war with the Post. So if he controls the radio business, has a business arrangement with ESPN, and can shut out the Post, the only story we can get will be Snyder's version of the truth. A billion dollar business should have more accoutability than that.
This sounds very draconian and ominous, but not only are all your individual contentions suspect at face, I'm also struck by the point that this is just news about a football team right? I mean, its not the stuff we hear about out of DC every day that has real implications for anyone's security, safety, or well-being? Just a reality check.

The competition and growth in sports coverage and variety of media will still assure far more than "Snyder's version of the truth" (whatever anyone wants to make of that phrase/concept) is out there. We'll always have the "peter king/ lenny squirrelrelli version of the truth" to keep people secure. ;)

And as for the accountability of a billion dollar business, wouldn't that fear be more appropriate if he were buying the FCC, IRS, FTC, and NSA? :D

And obviously, plenty have bought into the wrong judging by how many people talk about how we overspents in FA, letting go of Lavar was a mistake (funny thing is, Philly was divided between TO supporters and haters, that's what being me first and a volatile personality does. Same thing is happening with Lavar but so many would call him a victimized saint), Ramsey got shafted by Gibbs, ect. I think these radio stations are a great idea. It's not like he's putting anyone out of business, the rest of the media can still spout their uninformed, unresearched garbage. It's just now we'll be able to readily see the other side of the story. You know, the one from people who've actually BEEN to Redskin's Park before.

Yes, alternatives. More variety in the news made available, not less. And often, more accurate, not less.

I like the Red Zebra concept. Means more cash and revenue will flow back to the team. As we have all realized this offseason - cash is king in the NFL. Anything to increase the take the team gets is a good idea in my mind. As for the journalistic integrity, etc. Who cares? This is football, not the evening news. I like what the skins have done with Redskins.com TV and Extremeskins. To me, Red Zebra is just an extension of these efforts to get more Skins content to the fans.

Yes, alternatives. More variety in the news made available, not less. And often, more accurate, not less.

Do you honestly believe that Redskins news originating with the Redskins is going to be more accurate? We didn't know Mark Brunell was injured during the entirety of 2004.

And why do I care that the news surrounding teams to be accurate?

Because I don't have an off-shore account for my bets on Senate races.

Perhaps, but will anyone be listening???

Andyman, not living in the DC area, I'm wondering if I'll be able to listen to the new Redskins radio station. Will it be patched into the internet? That's the only way I can listen to Sportstalk 980 now.

Seriously, any chance there will be a link to the new Redskins radio program on either Redskins.com or ES? As you know, Redskins fans are all over the country.

Seems to explain why Czaban is getting a morning show.

He has had a morning show on Fox Radio (Milwaukee, yea I know its weird.) for a number of years.

As for this. I agree 980 has been seriously lacking in their "sports talk" -- but I find it hard to believe we are going to get an objective view of the skins from a station that has the same owner as the team.

Look, I'm just a consumer, and I want what any fan or consumer wants: a sports radio station with a strong signal.

980 is actually pretty spotty, despite what the article says. Any chance that Snyder can either improve the signals of these assorted AM stations? Someone who knows the answer, please...

Archived