Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A UMD Tradition?

Duckus

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/05/44339c2e53606

I will be the first one to admit that I go crazy whenever a team I love wins a big game but this quote was mind blowing when I read it today. Turns out it is a tradition at UMD to burn down parts of campus after a big win.....

One man, who had a T-shirt wrapped around his face and identified himself only as “John,” said he wanted to “Keep the tradition,” by joining in the melee. But it was his girlfriend, who identified herself as “Suzie,” who encouraged him to “Start a few fires” and “Knock some **** over.”

But then again if the Redskins win the Super Bowl next year I might be doing something like this in the city :laugh:

Unneccesary and childish. While I would be the first one to jump into a mob of celebrating fans, I do not condone destroying property. Guess they don't stop to think where would the money come from to repair the damages... higher tuition, or money taken away from programs...

Unneccesary and childish. While I would be the first one to jump into a mob of celebrating fans, I do not condone destroying property. Guess they don't stop to think where would the money come from to repair the damages... higher tuition, or money taken away from programs...

Doesn't matter. Come to Mo'Town where you can burn couchs out of spite. Or if WVU sports teams do something good, it becomes legal! :laugh:

I was in Boston when the Patriots won the SB. The bars around Fenway Park all closed early. People in the streets were insane.

I can only imagine how nuts it was when the Red Sox won.

I dont understand that type of behavior. I love the Redskins, but no way in hell am I going to jail for detroying someone else's property because of the Redskins. If I want to destroy my own than thats my business (come to think of it, I still have a Terry Allen jersey that needs igniting), but public property or someone elses ? Thats just ignorant.

Two of my cousins went to UMD, and I visited one of them a couple of times. He said that the attitude on that campus is basically "we win, we riot; we lose, we riot." Bunch of ****ing idiots, if you ask me. I'd like to see the look on their faces if people decided to trash their parents' houses. :laugh:

But it's funny, because people in Chicago (still a Cubs town) talk crap about White Sox fans all the time -- they're stupid Southsiders with no class. :blahblah: When they won the World Series, there were zero arrests made. None. In a city of almost three million people, fans of a team who won the World Series for the first time in 86 year didn't cause any problems. They just celebrated. I commend them for that. :cheers:

I went to CP, my first year was the year AFTER the first riot. The one that cost like 10 million dollars in damage to fiber optics among other things.

I remember my freshman year when we beat Ga Tech in football, we ran to the practice field grabbed a field goal post and tried to carry it to frat row. When we got to frat row, there were circles of people around bonfires where just about anything expendable from a frat house was fair game.

As time went on, and the "riots" kept coming, the more and more they were patrolled. I remember after playing our last game against Duke in Cole field house, there was a tank in College Park along with about 45 cops on horses. And any other marquee game (such as when we won the nat'l champion ship) sparks this type of response. "Get the riot crew together, UMD is playing Duke" And the reason this is necessary is because people take it to the "city" (or lack thereof) and ransack shops and restaraunts and such. This is where I started to think it was stupid. What's the point of breaking stuff in celebration if the effect of it is to have big brother send a tank and 45 horse cops. There is none, no one has fun people are GOING to get hurt (and they did, and always cried that they weren't doing anything) and people are going to get mad.

I think the tradition of congregating around frat row and burning a matress or a couch while people sing and drink is just fine. As long as it stay at frat row. I always had a ton of fun doing that, and no one ever got hurt, atleast that i know of. I just wish the rest of the people in College Park saw stuff my way.

...(come to think of it, I still have a Terry Allen jersey that needs igniting), but public property or someone elses ? Thats just ignorant.

C'mon man, what's wrong with you? Terry Allen was da man!! That guy ran hard every time and made defenders pay for tackling him. He was the anti-Stephen Davis. You gotta not do that! If I had one, I'd still rock a Terry Allen jersey proudly or at the very least get it framed for display.

Archived