Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randle El - His Perceived Role vs. His Actual Role

E-Dog Night

Perceived Roll:

Electrifying special teams return man. R.El loved is very East-West oriented on returns. His instincts could prove to be deadly with a evolving special teams blocking scheme. Potential to be BETTER than D. Hall.

X-factor offensive WR. Reverses, quick-screens, and flea-flickers OH MY! Portis won't be throwin' that much this year for sure. Another member put it best: the amount of time defenses are going to plan for him is worth his contract value alone. Another weapon in a silly, silly ensemble of players.

Actual Role:

As far as returners are concerned. I think he produces at a below average level at the beginning of the season. A. Brown, for the most part, knew when to down the ball. El will have none of this: he'll feel forced to to respond and make some poor decisions because of public expectations. Once he get acclimated to the Redskins uniform, the hype dies down, he'll be a solid performer; an above average asset.

Pertaining to offense, I really think he's going to be a good pick up. YAC / Jukability / Versatility; things that could put a nail into ANY defense's game plan. I think he'll fit in well with his teammates, serve as a tool of deception and flourish in Saunders' system.

Perceived Roll:

Electrifying special teams return man. R.El loved is very East-West oriented on returns. His instincts could prove to be deadly with a evolving special teams blocking scheme. Potential to be BETTER than D. Hall.

X-factor offensive WR. Reverses, quick-screens, and flea-flickers OH MY! Portis won't be throwin' that much this year for sure. Another member put it best: the amount of time defenses are going to plan for him is worth his contract value alone. Another weapon in a silly, silly ensemble of players.

Actual Role:

As far as returners are concerned. I think he produces at a below average level at the beginning of the season. A. Brown, for the most part, knew when to down the ball. El will have none of this: he'll feel forced to to respond and make some poor decisions because of public expectations. Once he get acclimated to the Redskins uniform, the hype dies down, he'll be a solid performer; an above average asset.

Pertaining to offense, I really think he's going to be a good pick up. YAC / Jukability / Versatility; things that could put a nail into ANY defense's game plan. I think he'll fit in well with his teammates, serve as a tool of deception and flourish in Saunders' system.

I have to disagree with you about the Dante Hall comment. He is truly an amazing returner and I just can't see anyone currently in the league becoming better than him in his prime (a year or two ago.) Some of his moves make me fall over infront of my tv trying to figure out where he's going. However I like the idea of ARE performing similarly.

I've learned never to get my hopes up that returners can duplicate their previous success. Look at the pkethora of guys we've added over the years to be answers to our retuning woes. In all honesty our most consistent returner over this span has been the one we never think about: Ladell Betts.

Anyone remember Michael Bates? Jacquez Green? Chad Morton? Yikes... Dare I say... Deion Sanders?!!

Quite possible. If that's the case, Patten went from a great second option to persona non grata in a hurry. I just have a hard time believing that he'll fall that far that fast. I'm pretty sure that Lloyd will capture the #2 position with ease.

I'm also pretty sure that Gibbs will be hesitant to risk an injury to a top-notch return man by playing him too often.

The again, Taylor plays on KO coverage, so I could be wrong.

The fact that we probably won't have "ranked" receivers at least after Moss being the man ultimately holds true. However, during his press conference he talked about how he'd already had talks with the coaches about his positions and things and that he didn't think he'd both return punts AND kicks, because that would wear him out and he'd rather just do one so that he can be fresh for offense.

Coach Gibbs seemed to agree and he said he'd have to talk to danny smith to figure out what he was going to do and he'd do it if they wanted him to but otherwise he'd rather conserve himself, presumably for receiver. That just sounds to me like he expects, as well as the coaches that he is at least in as a slot, if not mostly in with Moss on a regular basis.

This could just be in reference to the probable fact that all of our receivers will get substantial playing time with Saunders' creative schemes, but I got the idea that he'd play receiver and return punts, and Brown being exempt from our first roster cuts because he's playin in Europe, would remain on to return kickoffs.

IMO Lloyd is a better "receiver" and should rightfully be the equivalent to our #2 without a doubt. He's got incredible hands and is known for his precise route running. I think Patten may be a better receiver as well, but I think in this offense it's more about what you can do with the ball in your hands and I think we all agree in that case Randel El is about as dangerous as they come by, unless of course you are talking about Santana Moss :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

Your fourth receiver has to be a special teams player and Patten does not play on special teams.

Well, two of our 5 receivers right now play special teams, with Moss being an occasional contributer. So, technically we have a fourth and a fifth receiver who plays special teams.

As what was said previously, it probably doesn't matter who is where on the depth chart. Fact is Randle El is going to be returning kicks and punts. That means he will need some relief from his offensive duties, which will probably give Patton some playing time as well.

Jason

No way dude...I dont want to bring up his salary...but the man is being paid like a #1 wr. Sure he's a hell of a special teams guy, but hes competing with Lloyd for that 2nd spot

I disagree- I believe El is competing with Patten for the #3 spot. Lloyd is bigger than Antwaan, and has established himself as a more reliable reciever. If Lloyd lives up to his past in training camp, the #2 WR position is all but his.

Archived