Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randle El - His Perceived Role vs. His Actual Role

E-Dog Night

Got to go with Mr E-Dog Night & Mr Longshot

The Gibbs way is open competition. Before Gibbs we had players with starting jobs because there was no one really challenging for their job, that will end at WR. Randle El, Lloyd & Patten will all fight it out for the #2 spot.

For those who are quick to say this one or that one isn't a bonafide #2 reciever...Santana Moss was not considered a bonafide #1 receiver until this last year. Like Lloyd & Randle El, he was more a 40-catch receiver.

I prefer Lloyd & Randle El, but I don't think the book is closed on Patten yet. I hope the book is closed on Taylor Jacobs.

I'm sure some where someone has said this but, double reverse with El and Moss. The options are endless. Double reverse flea flickers. 2X runs. 2X passes.

He is worth the money because of what he make the D prepare for. This also gives us protection against injury. Or we can run 4 wides and run Portis.

This could get very insane. I see EL as the new B Mitch. He can do a lot.

2X runs? 2Xpasses? I don't follow.

My views on Randle El aren't very popular around here, but here goes.

Randle EL is not that good of a reciever. I said this as soon as it was known he would be a free agent, I said it before he was signed, and I said it after he was signed. I think he's better in the slot, where he can beat nickel backs who lack his quickness and speed.

Yet to his defense, Randle El was a quarterback before going pro and his learning curve in being good in this league at reciever should be longer than the average 3-4 years it takes for a reciever to really develop. Patten is old, and didn't impress BEFORE his injury. Randle El will be a solid #3 reciever for us, but his impact will be felt more in the return game.

He will have more of impact than you think I do not believe he would have came here if his role would have been the same as it is with the Steelers. This kid wants to prove he can play wide receiver one of the reasons why he stated he picked the Skins because he wants to play in a Saunders offense so apparently he believes he can see a lot of balls coming his way..

I read somewhere recently that, based on the number of times he was thrown to (not catches or yards), he was the 4th WR at Pitt. Not sure exactly where he fell on the depth chart or if that stat includes Heath Miller, a TE.

But regardless, my point remains the same that he'll be #4 here.

No way, Dude. Randal El's going to be on the field most of the time. Patten's number 4 or gone. I'm not sure which.

Major money means they have a major role in mind for Randal El. I think they see great potential there and are planning to develop him to Moss' level. The Skins are thinking they have 3 possible pro-bowl receivers, four with Cooley. Whether they're right or not, this was a dynasty move...not a move to get a KR.

I think we are pretty much gonna be like New England of two years ago in the way we use our receivers.

Deion Branch - Santana Moss

David Givens - Brandon Lloyd

Troy Brown - Randle El

David Patten - well, David Patten :)

I think Randle El will be a receiver, but will mostly be the slot guy, unless he overacheives in training camp, AND he will be the main return guy ala Troy Brown (until the emergence of Bethel Johnson)

No way dude...I dont want to bring up his salary...but the man is being paid like a #1 wr. Sure he's a hell of a special teams guy, but hes competing with Lloyd for that 2nd spot

Actually, no, he's not being paid like a No. 1 receiver. He's gotten guarantees that are like that a No. 1 receiver might, but, his overall pay against the cap is quite low for the next three years because his low base salary allows it.

I think he'll be No. 3 for sure, but, E-Dog is right his role will be special teams, slot and versatility.

Here is how I see Randle El--

Complements the WR core --May have only marginally better numbers as he did in Pitt.

Here is why- His job is to keep the Safety honest or play nickel packages even on running downs. The mere presence of him on the field needs to be defended against. It means Lloyd and Moss get honest coverage and the ability to both have better matchups. Cooley gets LB coverage or a underneath Zone for 5-8 yds whenever the Skins want it.

Also, and I think this has been mostly overlooked. This means no Defense will be able to stack against Portis. I expect Run cheating safeties to stay at home and not walk up to the weakside of the line( expect Roy Williams to get burned by trickeration) it can only help the O line blocking scheme and propel Portis over 4.0 yds a carry.

ARE's role in the offense will change each week. If the Skins see an obvious matchup they can take advantage of in the slot, then he will be there. If they see an advantage with Cooley on a LB, then ARE will play less.

I think that Gibbs will play the most productive players and I wouldnt be surprised with anything I see as far as the WR rotation.

James Thrash will be in the lineup instead of ARE sometimes to take advantage of his blocking ability from the 3 WR set. Its all fluid...

Curious how so many seem to assume an either/or situation, doesn't adding Lloyd and RE give us more flexibility in terms of multiple packages and various formations? JG has always been phenomenal at getting the most out of players and using them to their best ability. Couldn't you see games where the assumed #2 and #3 WRs change? RE is getting paid, that's his main concern, and from what I have heard he is a character guy that will fit in here well, do you think he's really going to be rocking the boat because of the way he is percieved or what someone else thinks his role is? He can be a great return man for us, is a shifty threat downfield and has a good arm, I think the greatest coaching staff in league just might have a lot of interesting ideas on ways to put him to use (Could you see him sweeping on a return long enough to draw the coverage towards the sideline only to pass back across the field to an open man? Hmmmm)

First and foremost, I don't think Patten has a chance of being on the squad next year.

Your fourth receiver has to be a special teams player and Patten does not play on special teams.

Secondly, I am still a little confused by the Randle El signing. He was forced into the #2 receiver spot because Pittsburgh lost Burress. Randle El responded by not doing too much as a receiver. He's always been - at best - a #3 guy. And in terms of pure receiving talent, I think Patten is better. But Randle El is the new guy and does return kicks so Patten is out.

Also, Randle El did not return kick offs for the Steelers. So, I'm not sure he should automatically be pencilled into that spot.

To me, the heart of the "overpaid" argument with Randle El is not in terms of his salary. Clearly, salary is no longer any kind of issue with the Redskins in terms of signing players. The issue of his being overpaid is that they have to use him now and he is not that steady a player.

Archived