Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A great article on the ethics of the NFL.

Paavo

This is exactly how I felt when Ryan Clark left, even though he only was with us for a season or two. I want Marcus to retire as a Redskin. Jon Jansen. Portis. And more. And on their own terms.

Isn't it a damn shame that players like Jerry Rice can't retire with their own clubs? Owners, time to wake up. I'm counting on you Dan.

(a small clip from the article)

That's what vexes me. Everyone passively accepts the "hey, it's a business" approach. But it works both ways. Signature guys shouldn't have to abandon their original teams to find market-value deals in their waning years. We want to watch guys like Willie break into the league, emerge into All-Pros, lift us to a higher place, shift into the "grizzled veteran" stage of their careers, hang on for that one final season when they're getting it done on memory and memory alone and then walk away on their own terms. We want the sob-filled press conference, we want emotional hugs with the coach, we want the owner fighting back tears and saying, "He defined what being a (fill in the team) was all about." We want the complete arc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060315

The NFL will never be the way it was before free agency, and people need to get over it. The players are every bit as selfish and greedy as any owner has ever been, but even moreso, because at least an owner has a finanical incentive to be loyal to the fans. The players will go wherever they can get the biggest check, and that's the way it will always be. Darrell Green was the last of a species that is now extinct.

What you have to consider is sometimes the players think that they're worth more than they actually are. They will ultimately want huge paydays to seucre their future, but aren't playing at the level of their contract. The teams that had them for so long have a better idea of where the players' skill levels are at and don't want to over pay them. Other teams might take a chance on them thinking they would be able to get a couple of good years out of them. I'm sure a lot of teams would like their stars to retire for them, but a lot of players recently have been playing way after they should have already retired.

What you have to consider is sometimes the players think that they're worth more than they actually are. They will ultimately want huge paydays to seucre their future, but aren't playing at the level of their contract. The teams that had them for so long have a better idea of where the players' skill levels are at and don't want to over pay them. Other teams might take a chance on them thinking they would be able to get a couple of good years out of them. I'm sure a lot of teams would like their stars to retire for them, but a lot of players recently have been playing way after they should have already retired.

Exactly. If players were more reasonable when their careers were beginning to end instead of expecting the same amount of pay they had at their peak, more players would stay with the same team till the end.

even though we get excited about Free agency, I thikn Joe Gibbs has loyalty to his veterans he likes. Many of you think that wynn will be cut in June, Gibbs wont cut him. he knows he has the leadership skillls and a great lockerroom presence. Honestly there willl be only a few players left on the redskins that were orginally drafted by us. Hopefully, Jansen won't go anywhere and Samuels. They have been a cornerstone for this franchise for the past what 6-7 seasons.

Guest santana4prez

With the salary cap its hard to keep a guy who isnt what he use to be. Teams would be wasting cap space for a guy who they know cant help the team do what they need to win.

That said I do think the NFL should have a limit like 10-15 years with the same club and then the players salary shouldnt count against the cap. That way vets can finish out their careers with their team.

With the salary cap its hard to keep a guy who isnt what he use to be. Teams would be wasting cap space for a guy who they know cant help the team do what they need to win.

That said I do think the NFL should have a limit like 10-15 years with the same club and then the players salary shouldnt count against the cap. That way vets can finish out their careers with their team.

i think that's a great idea... 10 yrs or 34 yrs old would be great.. and i'd really like to see the nfl be at a level where players can retire at 'home'

I still can't believe that the new CBA didn't include a rookie salary cap..(or that this has never really been mentioned by the league or media)The NFL is just throwing away money to unproven players in the draft. This, plus allowing veterans to not count towards the cap as was suggested in this thread would be huge to the fan who wants to love the players and not just the team.

As it stands right now I am 100% behind the Skins organization. when a player leaves screw him..buying a jersey is kinda useless anymore but I know there are a lot of people who still do

But seeing all those useless numbers and names on jerseys worn by fans in the stands at games is kind of rediculious.

Archived