Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis And The Passing Game

Tarpon75

How many think that Clinton should be used more in the passing game?I really believe he was under utilized in that area last season.Clinton has good hands and I would like to see him get the ball in space more often.Clinton could add another demension to the offense.I know that this offense has alot of weapons but that kind of adds to the potential of what Portis could do.How can they cover everyone?

How many think that Clinton should be used more in the passing game?I really believe he was under utilized in that area last season.Clinton has good hands and I would like to see him get the ball in space more often.Clinton could add another demension to the offense.I know that this offense has alot of weapons but that kind of adds to the potential of what Portis could do.How can they cover everyone?

1000s of us. Im been saying that since he got here.

I think with Coach Saunders and his 21st century offense, you WILL see more of that.

I hope you are right!It is kind of exciting to think of the possibilities.There were so many times last year that Clinton out of the backfield would have been a great call.Just didn't happen near enough.

We have been saying that, then watching him block pass-rushers instead of escaping into the flat. I couldn't understand that, since he would be the best safety outlet for a QB who is being rushed. Basically saw the QB's only close, quick option taken out of the play to pass-block. Thank YOU Al Saunders for coming to Washington!!!

We have been saying that, then watching him block pass-rushers instead of escaping into the flat. I couldn't understand that, since he would be the best safety outlet for a QB who is being rushed. Basically saw the QB's only close, quick option taken out of the play to pass-block. Thank YOU Al Saunders for coming to Washington!!!

Perfect play call,Portis chips a defender than slips into the flats.How many times could that have bailed the Skins out of tough situations?

i cant remember clinton getting a screen pass. i think he would excel with that and think saunders will utilize him in the passing game.

You are right I believe.Come to think of it,I can't remember many screens at all in the Skin's offense.

There were lots of screens to Moss but that's about it.
You are right and many of those screens were great.I guess I wasn't thinking about reciever screens as much.Now that I think about it there was a couple screens with Cooley also.

i cant remember clinton getting a screen pass. i think he would excel with that and think saunders will utilize him in the passing game.

I remember him getting one, the one agasint the chargers in which he juked like 5 times and got like 15+ yards. I'm sure someone knows what im talking about.

All you need to do is look at Saunders history to figue that out. Take a quick look at Marshall Faulk and Priest Homes' pass catching numbers under him. It's a primary part of his offense. I guarantee Portis will be more involved in the passing game this year.

Edit: Expect to see a lot of Betts on passing downs, also. He's actually a much better reciever than Portis. Both with get their touches in the passing game, though.

I have been begging for this. I really think that he has be underutilized in the passing game. This year, look for more screens (to the RB) and flare passes out of the backfield. With Priest Holmes, KC used him a lot catching balls out of the backfield on these patterns. For that matter, Larry Johnson was used similarily when he took over full time. Look for the Skins to flood areas of the field in order to open up touches for both Clinton and Cooley. I am really excited about what Portis is going to do this year, and I pray that he stays healthy. Look at what he did last year with most of the Defense keying on him realizing that they just needed to double Moss and could put the rest of the players in the box. I think Clinton could really make a run (no pun intended) at MVP.

I don't think Clinton has as good of hands as many people here think. I remember him dropping a number of passes downfield.... the result of trying to run before he secured the football. I think it's an area he needs to improve.

Saunders will utilize him in the passing game along with Betts. Both are probably suited for those delayed screens and flat passes. Betts was particular successful on the circle or "wheel" route down the seam between the hashmarks.

CP should get more opportunities in the passing game this season, since Coach Saunders has a history of actively involving his rb's in his schemes and we'll have more wr options. Defensive teams will most likely need to spread out defenders rather than put 8+ in the box like they did last year. Last season we really needed CP to stay in as extra blocker to give MB time to find receivers.

I am really excited to see what Coach Saunders is "brewing up" for the offense for 2006....bet a number of NFC East defensive coordinators are seeing their Doctors for some ulcer treatment medication! :laugh:

Archived