Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

most important component for a team

JMUGator19

I was bored and i was just thinking aimlessly when i suddenly wondered what was the most important part of a team. what i mean by that is, if an expansion team was created what part of the team would you ensure first: OL, DL, Receiving Corps, Secondary, QB, Running Backs (includes full backs and H-Backs)? In this hypothetical situation, the rest of your team is below average except in one catagory of your choosing. what do you pick?

The Texans went the O-Line route with Tony Boselli and Ryan Young in the expansion draft. Look where that got them.....

Right, but draft potential versus output on the field are very different. No matter what, a lot of people still think that the Texans COULD be good if they could find a way to get their O line to work better. what THAT comes down to is attitude, coaching, and work.

The most important part of the team is the coaches. They set the tone, the style and attitude of the team. They set the plays, the standards and pick the starters. Great players with bad coaches rarely achieve anything, but a great coaching set up can get average players performing well in all team sports.

The Texans went the O-Line route with Tony Boselli and Ryan Young in the expansion draft. Look where that got them.....

there is, without a doubt, no question, the most important position on the field, after QB, is the offensive line . . .

btw, boseli was hurt and never played for the texans . . . you should revise your post to read "the jags took him first and went the o-line route" they were in the AFC title game their second year in the league!

good o-lines give a team several dimensions . . . pass protection, psychological dominance, physical beating, running lanes, and more . . .

no where better to build . . .

The most important part of the team is the coaches. They set the tone, the style and attitude of the team. They set the plays, the standards and pick the starters. Great players with bad coaches rarely achieve anything, but a great coaching set up can get average players performing well in all team sports.

:applause:

starts from the top, owner to coaching. I think if u can find a owner who spends money and a coach who is fully in charge. thats a great situation. The texans are a bad example. their coach flat out sucks. Ok, he made the panthers good, but they went the veteran approach in building that team.

If you are talking specific positions on the field, it would be O-Line or D-Line depending on your football philosophy. If you are talking about anything within the organization it would have to be Front Office and Coaching. Look what Gibbs has done for the Skins in terms of team attitude, direction, focus, and overall organization. It was a mess under Spurrier. Most players that reach the NFL have talent. The chemistry, coaching, and emotional focus is what turns talent into winners.

Yea, how about we just ignore the coaching and FO because they would MAKE the components i mentioned good. but im very surprised that not one person thought a good secondary or WR corp such would be a good place. Not that i would pick them but one could argue that a powerful WR corps would negate the opponents pass rush and make the QB look sharp and open up the offense because they are such powerful weapons... an example of this would be if you had a 5 WR set with Moss Moss TO Smith and Chad Johnson. or whoever your top five receivers are. or if you could say with a perfect secondary, which i consider everything behind DL, would stop virtually all passes and force the team to run the ball (with a good secondary you could stop that too) or throw interceptions. the RB philosophy would probably consist of Barry Sanders combined with LT and your favorite FB to block for them.

Offensive Line. That gives me 5 good players and the potential to make a bad QB and RB look decent.

This is correct. He who controls the line of scrimage, controls the game. Plus any trained eye will drift to the line-play at the snap of the ball, as oppsed to the QB or some other spot. Besides, your O'line are the enforcers by doing things you can't see on camera. Example, stepping up to a D player who gets to rough with the ball carrier. The great ones have the ability to cause fear in people and have a serious mean streak.....We could use a couple of those.

Archived