Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will you see Mel Gibson's new film, Apocalypto?

SkinnedUntilRed

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I thoroughly enjoyed...don't think that's the right word...had a deep appreciation for Mel Gibson's last film, The Passion of the Christ. His new film, Apocalypto, is about the Mayan empire and is spoken entirely in the Mayan language and subtitled like the Passion. The tag line for the film is - "A great civilization is not conquered from without, until it has destroyed itself from within". The premise is to show how the degradation of a country's culture and manipulation by its leaders will inevitably send the civilization spiraling into ruin.

I think we can draw a lot of parallels to the Mayan civilization with our own culture. (the degradation aspect only - probably not too many human sacrifices outside of the Dahmer family Thanksgiving meal)

So I will be seeing this film. Will you?

http://www.apocalypto.com

Sounds great!

We were in Belize during our honeymoon and we toured some of the Mayan Ruins there. It is REALLY fascinating stuff. It makes me want to know more about it, + we had a great tour guide.

During the tour I sat down and asked the tour guide about human sacrifices and where they took place... he replied that I was sitting on it. :) Sure enough, I was sitting on a large flat stone that victims where tied down to before they were split wide open.

Also... there was a sport that the Mayans used to play where the winners were killed. They aren't quite sure how the game was played, but they're still learning.

Most of what I've heard about the downfall of the Mayan culture came from rampant inbreeding among the ruling class and poor farming techniques. But I confess I don't know a whole lot.

Thanks for the thread, I can't wait for the movie!

Sounds great!

Also... there was a sport that the Mayans used to play where the winners were killed. They aren't quite sure how the game was played, but they're still learning.

/QUOTE]

I think the Arizona Cardinals think that sport is football. :laugh:

Interesting stuff. Your trip sounds like it was pretty fun.

Here are a few images of the ruins we visited. I thought I had some of the pictures we took on my PC, but I guess not.

Anywho... if you're ever in Belize, don't miss it. Pretty awesome.

xunantunich.jpg

View from the top of the main tower:

049%20Xunantunich%20-%20from%20top%20of%20Temple%20Caana%20.JPG

xunantunich2L.jpg

Sounds great!

Yeah, the Mayan form of soccer or lacrosse. The goal was to get a small rubber ball through tiny rings built into the sides of the wall around the field, but researchers aren't sure if they played it like soccer or used sticks with nets like lacrosse, since there's been evidence of both. Sometimes the game would go on for days, and actually would end when just one person scored for their team. The interesting part is, the losers were sacrificed yes, but the winning team was sacrificed as well, since it was seen as a high honor to win the game and it was believed you would bypass the 13 steps to get to Mayan heaven by winning the game. Sacrifice as a result of losing the game was just seen as a terrible defeat. Atleast this is all just what I remember from various readings in school over the years. As for Gibson's movie, the trailer certainly looks interesting, I might see it depending on my mood I guess, I have to be up for an intense movie like that. I saw the Passion on a Sunday with my mother instead of going to Church- needless to say, it blew away any church experience I had ever had in my entire life.

I would like to see it if it was a historical piece, but isnt it all fiction?

Some of the movie will be based on fact, but the fact they were destroyed by themselves and invaders is speculatory at best. No historian, researcher, or anyone actually knows the true demise of the Mayans. The Mayans disappeared almost overnight, this coupled w/ their advanced intelligence is what has created the Mayan mystery and appeal, much like Atlantis. I am interested in culture and civilization, and I will be seeing this movie. In my opinion, Gibson will try to play up the angle that worshiping the wrong God and not having the right "morals" will lead to destruction. There will probably be paralles to the Mayans and today's society. This movie will probably focus on shock value as did The Passion. That is just my own opinion, as I know a lot of people were touched and inspired by his film. All I am saying is that I myself prefer to look to the teachings and beliefs of Jesus Christ as inspiration, rather than focus on his death. I know I'm still probably going to receive some negativity for stating so, but that is my opinion, otherwise I wouldn't post it.

Archived