Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Ramsey?

Sailskipper

I have been a Redskins Fan my entire life, but i havent payed much attention to what was going on untill the past few seasons. For those of you who have payed attention...what made Patrick Ramsey worth a first round pick in 2003? What qualities did he have at the time that made Spurrier think that he could be our franchise QB?

Spurrier was never really fond of Ramsey. Ramsey was Mendes' choice. Nobody wanted to go for another year with Tony Banks (yecchhh) at QB. For all his faults, I still think Ramsey will have a better career than either of the 2 QBs picked before him (Carr & Harrington).

Spurrier was never really fond of Ramsey. Ramsey was Mendes' choice. Nobody wanted to go for another year with Tony Banks (yecchhh) at QB. For all his faults, I still think Ramsey will have a better career than either of the 2 QBs picked before him (Carr & Harrington).

i agree. specifically, what are the texans wasting their time with on carr?

The only real area of weakness for Ramsey is that he didn't go to a football powerhouse at the college level. I think the offense they used at Tulane was pretty far off from an NFL scheme, so he had a lot to learn from a mental standpoint. He clearly had the mental capacity to do that, but unfortunately he played for two coaches here who had very little interest in developing him, because they each had their own hand-picked QB they were determined to make a go of it with. For Spurrier it was Danny Wuerffel, for Gibbs it was Brunell. Ramsey has been an afterthought since the day he was drafted, and despite consistently outplaying every other QB on the roster during his time here, he was repeatedly benched in favor of weaker players who the coach had personal favoritism towards.

i thought spurrier drafted him and really only for his cannon arm...that one worked out real well

Spurrier didn't want Ramsey, he liked Weurffel. Mendes didn't want Ramsey, he wanted a guard. It was Snyder that picked Ramsey, because he wanted a "sexy pick." Here's a pre-draft quote (from SI's Dr. Z, for what ever that's worth). This story on the Ramsey pick was widely accepted at the time.

Washington Redskins - Andre Gurode, G, Colorado

Oops, red light. I've pulled a switch. In the magazine, I gave them Toniu Fonoti, the guard from Nebraska. At least I kept the position the same. Here's the story. Joe Mendes and his scouts are trying to talk Dan Snyder into taking the best guard on their board, Fonoti at first but now Gurode. Snyder -- and I didn't actually hear him say this but it was reported to me by a very honorable gentleman -- said he wants a "sexy pick, a guy who excites you." Who's more exciting than a quarterback? Step up, please, Patrick Ramsey of Tulane. But wait a minute, Steve Spurrier's homeboy is Danny Wuerffel. Does the owner want to get his new coach mad at him, too? Well, wideouts are also exciting. How about Gaffney? I can't tell you who's going to win this star wars thing, but it's interesting, isn't it?

I hope Chad Pennington dont see alot of action next season. I want Ramsey to start in NY and prove that he can be a good starter in the NFL. I dont want to hear he had his chance because he did not have a fair chance.

I also hope Ramsey does well in NY because he handled last year pretty well and it was a tough situation. I personally think he could be good with strong players around him but not so much if he is being forced to move around and make plays on his own. I do think playing 9 games in the '04 reg season, and then all summer with the starting team and preseason in '05 IS a chance. We don't see all those practice reps as fans and Gibbs has always shown that he goes with the players that will best help him win games.

Ramsey had a rocket arm and size that seemed to fit in the NFL. Spurrier wasn't really sold on him for the same reasons Gibbs didn't like him and for the same reasons that the best offer we could get for him from other NFL teams was a 6th round draft pick. He didn't play in an NFL-type offense in college and couldn't seem to grasp the intricacies of an NFL offense. I think PR would have done better here if he hadn't tried so hard to prove himself. He had flashes of brilliance and games that made me think he had arrived. Then he would turn around and force a play, throw into double or triple coverage or make some other poor decision and everything would revert back. The last thing an NFL coach wants in a QB is unpredictability. The only QB's who've ever been successful in the NFL with a "gunslinger" mentality were those who had the talent to overcome their mistakes. Unfortunately Ramsey hasn't demonstrated he can do that. Perhaps he'll get another chance in New York.

When Ramsey played he played pretty well. He did make some mistakes as all young QBs do. He just never seemed to get the chance to learn from them. In 04, he was playing pretty darn well at the end of the season then the first game of 05 he got injured and that essentially was the end of his career as a skin. Ramsey has displayed all the talent that it takes to be a very good NFL QB. He just needs to be somewhere where he has a coaching staff committed to him and will live with his mistakes as he learns. He probably needs to be in a little more wide open offense than we have here also.

Washington Redskins - Andre Gurode, G, Colorado

Oops, red light. I've pulled a switch. In the magazine, I gave them Toniu Fonoti, the guard from Nebraska. At least I kept the position the same. Here's the story. Joe Mendes and his scouts are trying to talk Dan Snyder into taking the best guard on their board, Fonoti at first but now Gurode. Snyder -- and I didn't actually hear him say this but it was reported to me by a very honorable gentleman -- said he wants a "sexy pick, a guy who excites you." Who's more exciting than a quarterback? Step up, please, Patrick Ramsey of Tulane. But wait a minute, Steve Spurrier's homeboy is Danny Wuerffel. Does the owner want to get his new coach mad at him, too? Well, wideouts are also exciting. How about Gaffney? I can't tell you who's going to win this star wars thing, but it's interesting, isn't it?

Before we bash Snyder too much the guys that Mendes and Dr. Z suggested are worse than Ramsey. If I'm not mistaken Fonoti is on his 4th team in last 3 years and Gurode is a stiff in Brokeback Nation.

I feel like we cant move on here people....get over the ramsey trade....LOL!!!!! this tune is getting old :violin:

the skins drafted Ramsey...everyone was surprised he went off the board within the first round.... critics claimed he was more of a late 2nd round early 3rd round pick not a 1st..... I dont know who drafted him ...steve S, snyder or whoever....the fact of the matter is.....he is no longer a skin and we all must move on. Ramsey is the Jets problem now.... I like our roster and would prefer talking about our players vs guys who either got cut from our team or guys who got traded.

I feel like we cant move on here people....get over the ramsey trade....LOL!!!!! this tune is getting old :violin:

the skins drafted Ramsey...everyone was surprised he went off the board within the first round.... critics claimed he was more of a late 2nd round early 3rd round pick not a 1st..... I dont know who drafted him ...steve S, snyder or whoever....the fact of the matter is.....he is no longer a skin and we all must move on. Ramsey is the Jets problem now.... I like our roster and would prefer talking about our players vs guys who either got cut from our team or guys who got traded.

Oh, please...like talking about a VERY recently departed Skins player that a LOT of fans actually liked is some horrible sin. Just don't click on any threads that have the name "Ramsey" in the title if the fact that he's still a topic of discussion is causing you ulcers.

I have been a Redskins Fan my entire life, but i havent payed much attention to what was going on untill the past few seasons. For those of you who have payed attention...what made Patrick Ramsey worth a first round pick in 2003? What qualities did he have at the time that made Spurrier think that he could be our franchise QB?

from what i read spurrier didn't want him. he wanted to wait another year for grossman. mendes was a real fan of him and when he left, ramsey had few backers inthe organization.

Archived