Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs vs Terrance Newman

riggz2005

i have a buddy that i go to school wit whos a huge dallas fan and everyday we have these big arguements back and forth..and lately r biggest arguement has been who's secondary is better...he thinks terrence newman is a much better cornerback then shawn springs...i told him that terrence newman isnt even up there wit some of the elite corners in the league right now and shawn springs definately is...according to stats t.new had a better season wit 59 tackles 3 int's and 4 fumbles recovered next to s.springs 50 tackels and 1 int...but i still believe there is no way terrence newman is better then shawn springs...anybody have some input here that i could use against my friend at school?? thanks and greatly appreciate it

HTTR:point2sky :helmet: :logo: :dallasuck

Shawn is a better corner, but Terrence had a good year last year. Shawn was thrown at less so he didn't have the opportunities that show on the score card.

I love watching that video of Brandon Lloyd owning Newman last year.

I don't think Cowboys fans were thinking so highly of Newman after the 14-13 game. (I don't know if Newman was actually covering him, but I'm assuming so.)

Shawn is a better corner, but Terrence had a good year last year. Shawn was thrown at less so he didn't have the opportunities that show on the score card.

I love watching that video of Brandon Lloyd owning Newman last year.

I don't think Cowboys fans were thinking so highly of Newman after the 14-13 game. (I don't know if Newman was actually covering him, but I'm assuming so.)

No, it was Roy 'One Dimensional' Williams and the ancient Aaron Glenn. A strong safety and an nickel corner trying to double cover our only deep threat. Way to call that one ZImmer.

Springs is a better player on a better defense. Newman was absolutely shredded, routinely, two years ago. Last year he improved a great deal and went from a total bust to a fairly average to just above starter. Teams don't fear going at him. He's a little old for a guy entering his fourth season. He certainly seems to lack any real toughness we see from Springs out there as witnessed by our whipping of the Cowboys.

Newman is four years younger, so it is likely you'll see Springs start to break down before Newman does, but, even a broken Springs won't ever give up double digit touchdowns as Newman did just two years ago. There's really no comparision. The Cowboys have a better SET of corners because we don't currently have a No. 3 we're comfortable with.

Stats at corner are meaningless in that teams who fear a corner test him less, and therefore, he has lower numbers. Deion Sanders was among the game's ELITE players and teams avoided throwing at him because of it. Springs was tested two years ago, but, teams avoided him this year because he hurt them so much in 2004 and because Harris was an easier target.

#24 Shawn Springs | CB

Born: March 11, 1975

Silver Spring, MD

Height: 6-0

Weight: 200 lbs.

Pos: CB

Experience: 9 years

College: Ohio State

TACK 46.0 | FF 0 | INT 1

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 80 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

He has good size, quickness and he is very smooth in his coverage. He has good catch up speed and he is instinctive when locating the ball and he has a natural feel for the position. He can turn and run with anyone. He has good hips and shows good acceleration out of the back pedal. He will jam the receiver with balance and strength versus press coverage and will get a good shove at the line of scrimmage. He can cover a lot of ground in the zone coverage. However, Springs run defense is not as good as it has been. This is because he has always had a lot of health issues and his durability is of concern. He is around the ball but seems late reacting to the run or late coming off stalk blocks. Receivers are able to get into his body.

#41 Terence Newman | CB

Born: September 4, 1978

Salina, KS

Height: 5-11

Weight: 190 lbs.

Pos: CB

Experience: 3 years

College: Kansas State

Drafted: Year:2003 Round:1 Pick:5, Cowboys

TACK 60.0 | FF 1 | INT 3

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 77 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Possesses excellent athletic ability, can change directions quickly and can blanket receivers underneath. Gets good knee bend in backpedal and shows excellent burst coming forward. Takes good angles to the ball while it's in the air, possesses excellent ball skills and is a playmaker. Can be overaggressive and is vulnerable to play action. Gambles in an effort to make the big play and gets caught out of position too much. Lacks ideal bulk, doesn't play with a mean streak and doesn't jam receivers all that well. Lacks ideal upper body strength and doesn't muscle receivers out of their routers. While looks to strip the ball and forces some fumbles fails to break down in space at times, doesn't always wrap up upon contact and is an inconsistent open field tackler.

Seems like a pointless argument. They are about the same. Newman can be considered on his way up while Springs is on the way down. WIth the hole Dallas has at safety opposite Williams, I would think the Redskins secondary should be considered the better one.

Newman - 77

Williams - 90

Davis - 60

Glenn - 71

Henry - 70

Springs - 80

Taylor - 76

Archuleta - 77

Rogers - N/A

Jimoh - 59

Seems like a pointless argument. They are about the same. Newman can be considered on his way up while Springs is on the way down. WIth the hole Dallas has at safety opposite Williams, I would think the Redskins secondary should be considered the better one.

Newman - 77

Williams - 90

Davis - 60

Glenn - 71

Henry - 70

Springs - 80

Taylor - 76

Archuleta - 77

Rogers - N/A

Jimoh - 59

Yes, though hopefully we will find someone to play Nickel back instead of Jimoh. Jimoh was great on Special Teams this past year, but is pretty weak at CB.

Guest amaprius

Newman and Springs are very comparable....

As was stated in an earlier thread...even the best corners get owned once in a while.

Rice didnt score a touchdown with each reception...it just felt that way.

Springs is a better player on a better defense. Newman was absolutely shredded, routinely, two years ago. Last year he improved a great deal and went from a total bust to a fairly average to just above starter. Teams don't fear going at him. He's a little old for a guy entering his fourth season. He certainly seems to lack any real toughness we see from Springs out there as witnessed by our whipping of the Cowboys.

Newman is four years younger, so it is likely you'll see Springs start to break down before Newman does, but, even a broken Springs won't ever give up double digit touchdowns as Newman did just two years ago. There's really no comparision. The Cowboys have a better SET of corners because we don't currently have a No. 3 we're comfortable with.

Stats at corner are meaningless in that teams who fear a corner test him less, and therefore, he has lower numbers. Deion Sanders was among the game's ELITE players and teams avoided throwing at him because of it. Springs was tested two years ago, but, teams avoided him this year because he hurt them so much in 2004 and because Harris was an easier target.

yes. this is the answer to this thread's question. :applause:

Then there is this...

Washington was 10th in the league last year in passing defense allowing 192.6 yards per game.

Dallas was 11th, allowing 192.7 yards per game.

THere is obviously more that goes into that number than just the secondary, but the fact that they are basically identical should probably clue you into how pointless your argument really is...

i have a buddy that i go to school wit whos a huge dallas fan and everyday we have these big arguements back and forth..and lately r biggest arguement has been who's secondary is better...he thinks terrence newman is a much better cornerback then shawn springs...i told him that terrence newman isnt even up there wit some of the elite corners in the league right now and shawn springs definately is...according to stats t.new had a better season wit 59 tackles 3 int's and 4 fumbles recovered next to s.springs 50 tackels and 1 int...but i still believe there is no way terrence newman is better then shawn springs...anybody have some input here that i could use against my friend at school?? thanks and greatly appreciate it

HTTR:point2sky :helmet: :logo: :dallasuck

i really thought newman was gonna b a pretty good CB comming out of collage.

but in my personal opinion, i think springs is a better CB then newman. springs

kinda reminds me some what of champ. well thats just my opinion. :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Newman was rated by several journalist that actually take time to evaluate players based on more than one game as the games BEST corner. While I wouldn't go that far I believe he is far better than Springs.

Just because Newman doesn't gets stats doesn't mean anything, as you have pointed out.

Newman gave up ZERO touchdowns and I think had a single penalty all year. His yards given up were also ridiculously low (don't know them off the top of my head).

He is also a solid tackler (once again, watch more than one game before you give your rebuttle), and supports the run very well.

Newman was a really really great last season as a cover corner,but he does not play the run well.Teams would not throw at him because he is a pretty good ball hawk.

Springs skills are on the decline but he is an all round great corner.

I would say they are even right now,but Newman will be eventually better. When Carlos Rogers fully develops though he will be better than both are right now.

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1991 Atlanta Falcons 15 40 38.0 2 1 6 119 19.8 55 1 15

1992 Atlanta Falcons 13 49 41.0 8 0 3 105 35.0 55 0 7

1993 Atlanta Falcons 11 27 20.0 7 0 7 91 13.0 41 0 6

1994 San Franciscos 14 35 34.0 1 0 6 303 50.5 93 3 8

1998 Dallas Cowboys 11 25 22.0 3 0 5 153 30.6 71 1 4

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1991 Atlanta Falcons 15 40 38.0 2 1 6 119 19.8 55 1 15

1992 Atlanta Falcons 13 49 41.0 8 0 3 105 35.0 55 0 7

1993 Atlanta Falcons 11 27 20.0 7 0 7 91 13.0 41 0 6

1994 San Franciscos 14 35 34.0 1 0 6 303 50.5 93 3 8

1998 Dallas Cowboys 11 25 22.0 3 0 5 153 30.6 71 1 4

Did you really just leave out the bulk of his seasons picking only his early years before he'd established himself in support of your position? Sanders was the game's best cover corner, perhaps in history. Trust me, getting single digit passes defensed in a season as he routinely did is a sign of how little teams tried to go at him. And, by leaving out most of his career, I take it you grasp that.

Yea, but guys the reason that Newman made so many tackles is because so many guys caught balls on him last year. Springs never got that chance because he shut them down to much. Just another way to look at it.

Stats from Stats Inc....

Player--------------Att - Com - Yds - TD - Def - Grade - Comment

Terence Newman-----77 - 33 --- 382 -- 1 -- 17 -- A ----- Wow!

I will add that the TD against him was vs Kennison, but they were in a cover two defense and Keith Davis didn't get over. Hardly should have been against him.

Newman had an amazing statistical season.

Archived