Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Willie McGinest signs with the Browns

Phixius

Have you see the ages of the players they're signing?

Joe Jurevicious? Ted Washington? Willie McGinest?

They are ALL over the place. There is no core. They're just filling out roster spots. And all will be replaced in a year or 2.

I know on paper it looks like they've upgraded... and they did with the punter from the Ravens and Bentley.

But I'm not impressed at all by these signings. Too many... too old.

Of course the Browns are filling holes with FA signings. Not every team goes the FA route like Washington to bring in nearly all of their core players. We brought a draft guru in to be our GM and he will build the team through the draft.

That said, the problem the Browns have had is, a lack of veteran leadership. When things got tough last year, there was no one there to stick their foot in the ground, and turn things around...

The Browns are bringing in these veterans like Dilfer, Jurevicius, Washington, and McGinest in to teach and mentor the younger players (Edwards, Winslow, Frye, Andra Davis, Chaun Thompson, Leigh Bodden, Brodney Pool, and others)

These young players are our CORE players. The vets are here to plug holes that will be filled in this year's draft.

Not only do these veterans understand how to play the right way, they all still have something left in the tank.

People keep saying Mcginest is past his prime, over the hill, etc. Well look at his production. He produced as well last year as he has his entire career, including a NFL playoff record 4.5 sacks against the Jacksonville in the playoffs last year.

Washington has lost some mobility, but he really doesn't need to move around too much. In fact, in our 34 scheme, his job is to NOT move. Draw a double team, and hold your ground. He can, and has handled that for 32+ straight games now with no signs of slowing

Jurevicius is a posession/3rd down receiver and nothing more. Every team he has been on has gone to the super bowl. Coincidence? I don' think so. All the guy does is make big first down catches. Reliability is the key with this signing. We already have our big play guy in Edwards. The difference here is we didn't overpay for our 3rd down/possession guy. You guys paid twice as much for Randle El, who will fill a very similar role, and puts up only a fraction of the production. Don't believe me? Look at last years stats? JJ actually outperforms Randle El, no contest

Randle El: 35/558/1 (Rec/Yds/TD)

JJ: 55/694/10

Bentley is entering the prime of his career at 26. The same can be said of Shaffer at 27. It all starts with the Oline, and building the foundation the right way is what makes winning teams. I challenge you to find one weak point on the Browns Oline after these signings. Can you say the same about Washington's?

Have you see the ages of the players they're signing?

Joe Jurevicious? Ted Washington? Willie McGinest?

They are ALL over the place. There is no core. They're just filling out roster spots. And all will be replaced in a year or 2.

I know on paper it looks like they've upgraded... and they did with the punter from the Ravens and Bentley.

But I'm not impressed at all by these signings. Too many... too old.

There's nothing wrong with age he the guys an still produce. And the style of D Romeo plays is based on smarts and toughness. McGinest and Washington are tough SOBs and they can make the guys around better. Cleveland has some good young talent and good GM in Savage. They're building that team right.

Jurevicious is a great pickup too. He gets labeled as a #3 "possession receiver" but the guy can play any role asked of him. Seattle needed him to step up and be the #1 when Jackson got hurt last year, and he did it well. And he catches everything.

Of course the Browns are filling holes with FA signings. Not every team goes the FA route like Washington to bring in nearly all of their core players. We brought a draft guru in to be our GM and he will build the team through the draft.

That said, the problem the Browns have had is, a lack of veteran leadership. When things got tough last year, there was no one there to stick their foot in the ground, and turn things around...

The Browns are bringing in these veterans like Dilfer, Jurevicius, Washington, and McGinest in to teach and mentor the younger players (Edwards, Winslow, Frye, Andra Davis, Chaun Thompson, Leigh Bodden, Brodney Pool, and others)

These young players are our CORE players. The vets are here to plug holes that will be filled in this year's draft.

Not only do these veterans understand how to play the right way, they all still have something left in the tank.

People keep saying Mcginest is past his prime, over the hill, etc. Well look at his production. He produced as well last year as he has his entire career, including a NFL playoff record 4.5 sacks against the Jacksonville in the playoffs last year.

Washington has lost some mobility, but he really doesn't need to move around too much. In fact, in our 34 scheme, his job is to NOT move. Draw a double team, and hold your ground. He can, and has handled that for 32+ straight games now with no signs of slowing

Jurevicius is a posession/3rd down receiver and nothing more. Every team he has been on has gone to the super bowl. Coincidence? I don' think so. All the guy does is make big first down catches. Reliability is the key with this signing. We already have our big play guy in Edwards. The difference here is we didn't overpay for our 3rd down/possession guy. You guys paid twice as much for Randle El, who will fill a very similar role, and puts up only a fraction of the production. Don't believe me? Look at last years stats? JJ actually outperforms Randle El, no contest

Randle El: 35/558/1 (Rec/Yds/TD)

JJ: 55/694/10

Bentley is entering the prime of his career at 26. The same can be said of Shaffer at 27. It all starts with the Oline, and building the foundation the right way is what makes winning teams. I challenge you to find one weak point on the Browns Oline after these signings. Can you say the same about Washington's?

^ He said it all for me. Great post.

Archived