Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Pick Will be OL, CB or LB

bulldog

the Redskins #2 pick is looking more and more like the icing on the cake this offseason due to all the signings. However, it is an important selection as that player should be a starting caliber player within a year or so of being drafted if not earlier, depending upon position.

the Redskins need a #3 corner and the opportunity to have a guy come in and study under Shawn Springs for a year or two seems like a good strategy for the team to follow.

having a set starting five on the OL also gives the team the chance to groom a young guy for that same year or two and have him ready to take over for Dockery, Jansen or Thomas down the road.

The one position where the Redskins might be able to find a place to start a #2 pick is at outside linebacker.

The club doesn't seem to have much behind Lemar Marshall and Marcus Washington. Chris Clemons' role with the club is a question mark as he appears to be a tweener DE/LB.

Either way you look at it the Redskins will be looking to that #2 pick as a depth player with the potential to start down the road.

That is a good sign that the talent on this team has gotten a whole lot better since Gibbs was hired in January of 2004 :)

i hope we draft cedric griffen in the second round... he's the guy that we could groom and could replace springs in 3-4 years. another player that i wouldnt mind having is d'qwell jackson in the 2nd round. he can play outside or inside at the linebacker postion, which makes him valueble. we can draft him as a middle backer and move marshall back outside, or just draft the guy as an outside linebacker. i believe that he'd definatly perform well, but then again i'm not a draft expert by any means...

also, i think if we draft o-lineman then it will be with our 5 and two six round picks...

i think deuce latui could start in the nfl right now if he had to but he is certainly someone i would love to have as our backup. having blocked for the likes of reggie bush and lendale white at USC proves that he can run some plays to the outside (bush) and also run gut plays through the middle (white). i think he has a bright future in the nfl

With the depth at CB, LB and TE at those positions in the draft, I could certainly see the pick being a solid player. Maybe a guy in the mold of a Lofa Tatupu or a guy with talent but a slip up in the past ala Fred Smoot. If nothing else, I'd love to grab Lutui if he's there as I'm pretty sure he'll be a mauler!

Trade down into the 3rd round and take CB Will Blackmon. Arguably, he could have been a first round selction at CB if he hadn't helped his team by switching to WR for the season. Blackmon can start at nickel or dime and he can return kickoffs--I don't think ARE wants to. That's not ARE strong suit--in fact, ARE and Betts have the exact number of kickoff returns in their careers--78. Betts has ARE by a 2yd average per KO return.

Hopefully, we will get a gem for the O-line. Got to replace Brown and add depth. The truth of the 1st Gibbs era success was the O-line - it would be great to a "lightening in a bottle" pick or UFA (ala Joe J.) via the draft.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

what do u mean to replace brown? we've got big randy thomas coming back next year! but i hope that we do add depth

Trade down into the 3rd round and take CB Will Blackmon. Arguably, he could have been a first round selction at CB if he hadn't helped his team by switching to WR for the season. Blackmon can start at nickel or dime and he can return kickoffs--I don't think ARE wants to. That's not ARE strong suit--in fact, ARE and Betts have the exact number of kickoff returns in their careers--78. Betts has ARE by a 2yd average per KO return.

I really like this idea, do you think we could get 2 3rd rounders for our second?

Maybe draft Will Blackmon and a good young LB prospect?

:D

all good ideas..

basically, there are gonna be some players slide to the second round because of the depth of the draft inrounds 2-3..

we have options. the first being a trade down to pick up an extra pick or 2.. but assuming we stay where we are here we go..

d qwell---- could slide down to us. a great lb

te--- so many good ones that one might fall. fasano, pope, mercedes from ucla, byrd

corner/safety-- bing or griffin

def end-- how do you not take tapp if he slides to us?

def tackle- gabe watson--- same question ?

off lineman-- the least sexy pick but someone like latui could give us great flexibility

some of those guys are gonna be there...

I really like this idea, do you think we could get 2 3rd rounders for our second?

Maybe draft Will Blackmon and a good young LB prospect?

:D

no... more likely a 3 and a 5 for moving down... there are the draft value charts that give it exactly.. it all depends how far you move down

I wouldn't call it icing....We still have two major needs;

1. Linebacker

2. Nickel Corner

Add to that the lack of depth we have and there's still work to do in the draft.....Ideally here's how I hope the draft falls:

2. D. Jackson- LB

3/4 (Compensatory Pick)- Corner Back

With out remaining picks we need to go for offensive and defensive lineman across the board....

I don't think the team will draft OL depth that early in the draft. If we had an old guy starting on the line that would be retiring soon then maybe, but that isn't the case. OL depth will likely be addressed in the 5th and/or 6th round.

I believe linebacker is the target in the 2nd round. We haven't addressed that position through free angency so far and it doesn't appear that we have targeted anyone. Carter is probably here to play DE, not LB. Experts say this draft is deep at linebacker. So there should be quite a few good ones available when that pick comes. Also, rookie linebackers transition into the league quite well. So, my guess would be LB. The only question is whether it would be a MIKE or WILL.

If Gregg Williams believes that we have a guy on the roster that can fill our starting LB void then my next guess is CB.

With the quality gaurds available in this years draft, Ray Brown's retirement, Randy Thomas' injury, Dockery's uncertian contract, and the complete lack of quality reserves on an oft-injured offensive line, we have to take a gaurd with that pick. Considering the past two season, I won't be able to sleep at night if we don't have at least one good offensive linemen in reserve.

And, in response to the suggestion that we just wait until day two to pickup some reserves, a 5th-6th round pick will not be enough for me to get any shuteye. Remeber all those games Ray Brown started for us? Well, geuss what, he's gone now. Whoever is left in reserve now wasn't good enough to beat out a 42 year old. Doesn't that worry you?

With 5 guys on the line getting hit every play, I would like to have at least 6-7 NFL ready linemen on the roster. As it stands now, we have only five. That means one injury to any of our 5 starters could cost us the season. I am not comfortable taking that chance.

Archived