Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

taking the fun out of the draft

Bhutanibeast

I like watching the draft as its a big day that is all NFL and gets me pumped for the season. The only thing that sucks is after every pick of ours they cut to commercial with no analysis....that pisses me off more than not having picks. :)

It does seem that way :confused:

How about Rodney Harrisson, the leader of their defense? Or both their MLB's Chad Brown and Monty Beisil? Everyone gets free agents. Building through free agency or the draft are right or wrong ways, just different approaches. As long as we can find a medium to get talent now, and potential later I'm happy.

Or if you go back a few years to the start of the Pats run, Antowain Smith, even Patten wasn't originally a Patriot. They have brought in plenty of free agents to augment their needs. Yes its great to build through the draft, I understand the original poster's point, but everytime "good" team makes use of free agency too to fill out its holes.

The problem is you build depth through the draft where you can get potential for cheap. The skins right now have depth problems in several key spots - The OL, DT, and CB.

And, we have enough draft picks to address it, not to mention that you can find cheap guys in FA to fill out your depth.

And sure, Campbell was our first round pick (as well as our fourth round pick) and Lloyd is our 3rd round pick, but I still feel like I opened my christmas present early.

I like watching the draft, and it is a bit frustrating that again, there isn't going to be much to watch this year.

Jason

Not only was he our first rounder this year but if you think of it that way he also was drafted this year as a first rounder with a year of the system under his belt.

Lloyd is a proven commodity in the NFL... a great pickup for a cheap price.

People who talk about the money haven't seen the last few years where we were supposedly going to cap hell.... and didn't.

Keep in mind the salary cap is going up another 7 - 8 million next year and that means backloaded contracts with big SB that are prorated for 5 years. And the only guaranteed money is the SB in most cases. Not too big a hit IMO to get all the people we are targeting and pay for later round picks. With LA's contract hitting us this year the dead cap space won't be bad next year giving us more room for manuvering when we have a higher pick.

Plus - any picks we are trading away this year (from next years draft) will be lower on the totem pole (since we will win more) and thus won't have as much value.

Yeh, Im sure all of the Patriots big free agents have enjoyed the Super Bowls too......

Or the Steelers for that matter

Teams do overall get built through the draft, and if anyone does need an example, well then look at what I just wrote. Other than Corey Dillon, what names really standout on the Patriots as big free agents? What about the Steelers?

I do not mind giving up mid to later round picks for guys like Lloyd, proven talent, and gave up little for him. However, we did have holes still, and hopefully Lloyd comes cheap cause otherwise it would suck to have to give up draft picks and a big contract for his services. I hope we do find the young talent we need as reserves, cause right now I see holes in:

DLine as usual, especially with Demetric Evans not re-signed.

Secondary, it was battered last year

Linebackers, now that Lavar is gone, and hopefully Holdman wont be re-signed

O-line, Brown and Raymer gone, who is there now other than the starters and Molinaro?

We need to find depth, and the draft is usually the better way to find that depth, but in our case we always resort to free agency.

On a side note, I do have faith in the Lloyd pickup, and if we do get Archuleta and Andre Carter. They will help us out.

I understand what you are saying, but I think Joe Gibbs wants a solid Starting core, before really looking to the draft to add depth. That way the starters can mentor the rookies enough so that by the time the starters leave, the rookies (not rookies anymore) can step into the position without missing a beat.

Using the draft to add depth is right, but with the rising cost of 1st rounders these days, a lot of times it is better to get proven NFL players by using higher picks IMO. So use the mid to late rounds to draft depth, which the Skins have done and will do...not to mention undrafted FA's. Look at some of our leaders that are not "stars" like Sellers, Marshall, Thrash, Salave'a, Cartwright, Jimoh, Clark, etc....good solid players that were late round picks, undrafted, or "journeyman" FA's. The Skins FO knows what they are doing.

I bet if we get Randle-El, we trade Patten for a mid-round pick to make up for the one traded to San Fran...

I dont think that the skins consider the draft to be the answer to position shortages, Joe Gibbs likes to use the FA for this, and uses the draft for depth in the future.

Joe Gibbs produced three SBs doing it this way and i am happy for him to continue in this line

Hail all things Redskins

dont you guys think that the way the Redskins throw around draft picks is taking all the fun out of the draft. In no way am i disagreeing with the trade for Lloyd, but it seems like every year, we never had all seven picks. In fact, i cant remember the last time we had seven picks. Hopefully, the redskins make some deals to acquire some picks this year, so the draft day party can even be worth going to.

This is our draft. Enjoy it. This is how Bethard and Gibbs grow their teams in the past.

Who cares how we get the players as long as the talent is good, it fits and the money is right.

Archived