Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andre Carter?

GSF

Does anybody know much about this guy? The articles that say we're interested in him list him as a DE, but on ESPN's San Fran page they have him listed as a LB weighing in at 265. Would Carter be brought in to replace Lavar or to play DE? If he's playing DE, who would he replace, or would he be more of a rotational guy? I'm confused. Thanks for any comments.

All I know is that he has injury problems. He has a bad back and was on the injury report for almost all 16 games this year. The year before that he only played 7. Once you have back problems you always have back problems.

your right, thats scary to think....look @ Houston Rockets Tracy McGrady out for 5 weeks with a bad back...and hes had a bad back for the longest time!

Grade 72

Expert's Take Andre made the conversion from DE to ROLB in the 49ers 34 defensive scheme. He played in 14 games with 12 starts. He plays in regular as an OLB and sub as a rush DE. He is a tall muscular OLB with good overall athletic skills for the position. He is a competitive player with a good motor. In the running game, he has the size and strength to set the edge when aligning over the tight end on the line of scrimmage. He has good initial shock with his hands and the ability to hold the point and disengage and get off blocks. He can bend and play with leverage but doesn't play at times with real good recognition skills when reacting to blocking patterns. He has the speed to chase and close down off the backside. In the passing game, he is a high-cut player that struggles to lower his hips and change direction in open space. He has the ability to drop in underneath zones and understands coverage concepts but doesn't play with a lot of zone awareness. He is a limited match-up player when covering the TE in one-on-one situations. As a pass rusher, he has good initial quickness and first step explosion off the edge. He has good technique and pass rush skills. He has a long stride length which enables him to cover a lot of ground. He has the speed and quickness to bend the edge and close on the quarterback. He has good active hands and relies on counter moves to gain separation. Overall, Andre is a starting OLB who's physical and athletic traits best suite a 34 defense as an OLB. He is an interesting player that could fill a lot of different roles within a defensive scheme. He has some durability concerns after suffering a back injury in 2004.

Thanks for that report Oldskool, but I'm still confused. He doesn't seem like a good fit for this defense other than as a rotation DE. Could Williams be thinking of converting him to a WLB?

The guy is versatile, think a Willie McGinest type. Realistically he can play both OLB and DE, but IMO, DE is his best position.

I agree that he is not the type of DE that the skins currently have on the roster, but that would be the beauty of teh signing, he could bring a whole new dimension to the team.

If Carter was to come here, and play mainly DE, he would benefit greatly playing next to Griff and Big Joe. He would face a ton of one on one and Carter is athletic enough to beat top tier tackles. Although I do agree that the med staff better be darn sure his back will not be a problem. He may have hit or miss written on him. Either way I would still grab Kampman, for insurance at worst.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

If Carter was to come here, and play mainly DE, he would benefit greatly playing next to Griff and Big Joe. He would face a ton of one on one and Carter is athletic enough to beat top tier tackles. Although I do agree that the med staff better be darn sure his back will not be a problem. He may have hit or miss written on him. Either way I would still grab Kampman, for insurance at worst.

Kampman resigned with Green Bay Friday night ... so you can't grab him. I would look at Darren Howard of the Saints

Kampman resigned with Green Bay Friday night ... so you can't grab him. I would look at Darren Howard of the Saints

Dang. Didn't here that, got up this morn and took the wife's car to the service center, got home and got on here. Honestly I'd take Howard over Carter.

Does anybody know much about this guy? The articles that say we're interested in him list him as a DE, but on ESPN's San Fran page they have him listed as a LB weighing in at 265. Would Carter be brought in to replace Lavar or to play DE? If he's playing DE, who would he replace, or would he be more of a rotational guy? I'm confused. Thanks for any comments.

He is the Lavar that can play DE.

Similar to the Freak that GW just loves for his D. If healthy and we sign him then this will be the best pickup for us. This will give GW the pass rush we have been missing for a couple of years. I will be said LA is gone, but happy with the replacement. Unlike a lot here I think DT and DE should be priority #1 this year, we can get WR's, it is hard to find quality Dlinemen

Williams will play him at both DE and WSLB.

I'd imagine it helps our overall defensive line depth because Wynn, Daniels, and Evans (if we re-sign him) are all capable of moving inside to play tackle when Carter's at DE.

I also look forward to seeing Carter and Clemons rushing from both end spots on 3rd downs. That's the pass rush we haven't had in years.

The stat line on Andre Carter:

2001: 7 sacks

'02: 13 sacks

'03: 7 sacks

'04: 2 sacks

'05: 5 sacks

For all those criticizing his "injury problem," he has played at least 15 games in every season except on '04, he missed half the season. But it seems like he just had one injury prone year.

I agree - he is a good run stopping linebacker and a very good edge rusher

As I said on another thread - I think he may rotate from WLB to DE on pass downs with Clemons on the other end, Daniels and Griff in the middle.

What an upgrade to the DL on passing downs... Now if we can get Kemoeatu in the middle for run defense.. wow

Archived