Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Deal Still May Get Done As Talks To Resume Tomorrow

goldenster95

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9283769

No progress, but talks to resume March 5

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (March 4, 2006) -- Talks between the NFL and its union broke off with no progress, although the sides agreed to meet again March 5.

The stalemate increased the possibility that many high-priced free agents would come on the market as teams struggled to get under the salary cap by 6 p.m. ET on March 5, the extended deadline for the start of free agency.

"No progress has been made, but we expect more discussions to take place before Sunday night," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Troy Vincent of the Buffalo Bills, the union's president, said Gene Upshaw, its executive director and chief negotiator, had flown back to Washington but could return March 4 for talks. "There's not much movement," Vincent said.

Earlier in the week, negotiations broke off and the league set the salary cap for free agency at $94.5 million. Teams with a salary load far higher than that had anticipated an agreement that could have given them extra room to keep veterans, perhaps $10 million more with a new deal.

If not, it's likely a number of teams would have to make wholesale cuts, some involving big-name veterans such as Kansas City's Will Shields, Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks and the New York Jets' Kevin Mawae and Chad Pennington.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said after the earlier talks broke off that the NFL was offering 56.2 percent of its total revenues to the players. Upshaw has said he will not go under 60 percent.

But the problem involves more than that, notably a dispute among owners over revenue sharing. Low-revenue teams complain that they would have to contribute a higher percentage of the money they get from advertising, naming rights and other nontelevision and ticket revenue than big-market teams.

Upshaw always has wanted that issue decided first among the owners, but that isn't likely happen in these last-minute talks, which began March 3 after the deadline for free agency was extended three days from 12:01 a.m. ET on March 3 until March 6 at the same time.

The labor agreement, extended several times since it was agreed to in 1992, has another two years to run. But 2006 would be the last year with a salary cap.

There would be no cap next year, but also many changes in the rules, including some the players find unappealing -- six years for a player to get to free agency instead of four, and no minimum amount that teams have to spend.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Boy I certainly hope not! Tell Dwight Freeney to start looking for a house in D.C!

umm...without a deal there may not even be a NFL season in 2008 so thinking about players like Dwight Freeney comming to Washington is kind of jumping the gun.

umm...without a deal there may not even be a NFL season in 2008 so thinking about players like Dwight Freeney comming to Washington is kind of jumping the gun.

No matter what happens there will be a season in 2008 because the CBA is still valid.

I have a feeling the Colts would pay to put up atleast one Super Bowl winning team before they fade into obscurity in an uncapped league...

not that they ever could under the leadership of the great choke artist.

Haha I love your sig, man. For some reason that cracks me up.

This is not basbeball. There will not be a lockout in 08. There is way too much money in the market for both sides to lose. I wasn't being literal about Freeney.

If it doesn't get better its just going to get worse and worse...just like you said there won't be a lockout, well, I doubt there will be a NFL without some type of salary cap.

If it doesn't get better its just going to get worse and worse...just like you said there won't be a lockout, well, I doubt there will be a NFL without some type of salary cap.

There will always be an NFL. With or without a cap, so get over all of this nonsense about the league folding and the sky falling. It will never happen.

The league had no salary cap all the way up until the mid 90's. I like the new rules. Less player movement. You'll actually see players finishing their career with one team again. I love it! Now with this cash cap thing, if there is an agreement, that would screw us. Thats what Snyder has been doing for years as pointed out in Mortensens article. I really really hope there is no extension. This especially rings true with the recent restructures. We wont have as big a problem getting under the 94.5 cap. We woudln't lose any starters, outside of our 2 UFA's. We will be fine this year. Let Cambell develop and off to the races come 07. Good time to be a skins fan! HTTR!

what i meant by that is you will never see an uncapped NFL...

Don't count on that. The union is seriously thinking of disclaiming. If that were to happen (and it's happened before), kiss not only the cap goodbye, but the draft as well for at least awhile. The only thing that would bring things back to what we have known is normal is what happened before: a good antitrust suit challenging the free agency system that the NFL will put in place and drive it back to recognizing the union and getting another cap together.

This hard cap is nonsense. It hurts players by limiting what they can fetch. The NFL can put a lid on spiraling salaries by implementing a softer cap so that players don't get dinged as much. It works in the NBA and it can work in the NFL. Otherwise, agree to something over 60% on the cap figure. Sorry, but Upshaw is right on this one. If you can't agree to that, look at life without a union, a cap, a draft, and free agency the way you want it.

Personaly, I'd rather have an uncapped NFL, but like you said.......
It would be nice because we would definetly be the team to beat because we all know about Snyders spending habits. But do you really want to be the Yankee's of pro football?

If I'm understanding this right if Upshaw gets what he wants this would be good for teams like the Redskins right?
My understanding is that it will be a mix for us. A lot of it has to do with how much Snyder ends up losing. Issues like revenue sharing and the 56% or 60% really just means how much players salaries are going to compare to the total revenue. Where it comes to play with the Redskins players is if this does not get solved we will have a cap of 94 million this year instead of the predicted 105 million. Eventhough a lot of guys are stepping up and restructuring contracts, this year we will be limited in the free agent market.

Next year, however, there will be an uncapped year and Snyder can sign whoever he wants for millions of dollars. But then the agreement expires and there is potential for a lockout. So it could be good and bad both ways. Thank god for the leadership on this team or we would have been totally screwed.

Last few years good things have happened on my birthday.

We got Santana Moss on my birthday last year.

Maybe we go 2/2 on Warhead Birthdays?

(March 5 is my birthday :))

I'm not sure but I beieve Marcus Washington signed on that day 2 years ago.

Archived