Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A little dissapointed in our Defense

NoCalMike

It seems that our defense is not living up to the hype YET....We seem to STILL,(like last year) shut down teams on 1st and 2nd down, yet are unable to hold teams on 3rd down, no matter how much they need. I am sure this will improve as the season goes on. Another thing is, our defense has developed a bad habit(well 4 quarters worth) of giving up "the big play" We seem more of a SHUT DOWN defense then a defense that causes turnover after turnover. I don't want to get too down on this point since it is only week 1, and we did what is most important, WIN. I just would like to see more big plays and more turnovers captured by our defense in the future.......Can't wait till Next Monday~!

Jesus guys! Considering that the Cards' average starting field position was inside out frickin' territory for most of the game and they got a lucky break getting the ball insider our 10 23 points is pretty damn good.

Plummer was under 50%, under 200 yds, they ran for only 70(11 of which were QB scrambles). In fact on most of their possesions they were like 10 yds from the FG range I thought we did well.

I think many were expecting to see Arrington zeroing in on Plummer with a laser pointer aimed at his head. That didn't happen...but when the defense was actually given some ground to play with, they did their job..no more, no less. We got hosed on the faux-fumble recovery and return by Bailey...that would have put a MUCH more positive spin on the defenses performance.

The defense is going to come together more slowly than the offense. People are too conditioned to think the offense is slower coming together with a change of scheme. That is correct, but it isn't correct here where you are running the offense with a QB that already knows it and you have receivers here who have run it and taught it.

Our defense is entirely different. I don't expect a dominating defense for a few games. Today was adequate. Too many third down conversions which was troubling. But, considering the incredible field position the Cards had they should have done more. We only gave up 14 completions in 36 passes. That's pretty tight coverage. We will grow from here. In all, not a terrible game. Not a great game. You can see what can become of this defense as it comes together.

Archived