Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GOP Governors Threaten to Block Port Deal

Fred Jones

This is one of those cases where I just throw my hands in the air and say I don't know what I'm talking about.

It really all depends on what the ownership of a port means. If it basically means that the UAE is incharge of spending the money to replace the cranes in exchange for the ability to collect port usage fees, then this whole thing is pretty dumb.

there still is such a thing as US customs right? And every ship has to have it's manifest cleared through a US customs agent who is going to be given higher executive authority over the port than any of these guys, right?

But then again, I don't work in a port, so I don't know if there are really giant loopholes that could be used that make this a really bad idea. It all rests on the idea of how much ownership they really have. I have to believe though that since the ports were already foreign owned that we don't think the owning of the ports has anything to do with port security. But I could be wrong.

Kilmer, im not trying to get in a pissing match with you. I am just furious with Bush and his policies. I do not need to go into a detailed explanation of them, they have been stated many, many times on this board by numerous people. So with that said, i'll squash this back and forth banter

:cheers:

Kilmer is dead on.

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1677

I thought this was a pretty good point

Thousands of innocent people were killed on September 11th, if a thousand Muslims were detained and questioned then so be it. Don't get mad at the system get mad at the terrorists. Because terrorists come in all shapes and sizes we need to rethink how we run every aspect of Homeland Security. If it means cutting any foreign owned businesses out of any security detail then so be it. My security and the safety of my family comes way before my feelings on whether or not someones feelings get hurt or if free trade laws are obeyed. Just make it safe. If a scenario leads any reasonable person to beleive that it could cause a breach in security then that scenario must be scrapped. Move on find a better way that the American people as a majority are safe with. We deserve that at the very least.

I'll continue to contend that it is just as likely that the British Company has a terrorist working for them as the UAE company would.

So you really think a company owned and operated by the UAE, in the hot bed region, isn't more likely to have terrorist ties than a British owned company? Common sense dictates otherwise.

Common sense dictates otherwise.

No, common sense dictates that the Arab company will even be more vigilant when it comes to security.

Billions of dollars are at stake; a terrorist incident could be potentially devasting to Dubai Ports, much more so than a non-Arabic company.

So you really think a company owned and operated by the UAE, in the hot bed region, isn't more likely to have terrorist ties than a British owned company? Common sense dictates otherwise.

You won't find much of that in this thread. Many here want the non-democraticly elected leaders & royal family of a Middle Eastern Muslim State that is a known hub for terrorist and drug smuggling activity to have operational control of all the major ports of the USA.

I wonder if Iran has anything on that companies employees? I wonder what a gay Muslim that works for that company would do to keep his secret a secret?

Some things to think about:

- The UAE port company is owned and controlled by the UAE government.

- The port authority would be given advance notice of military shipments.

- UAE is the origin of 2 of the 9/11 hijackers and the shoe bomber was born there.

- The government of UAE was the only nation ( besides Pakistan ) to support the Taliban.

- This would not be a private company owning the port activties, it would be a foreign government.

- The UAE is a travel hub for Bin Laden's operatives.

You can rationalize this however you wish, but you cannot deny the facts.

No, common sense dictates that the Arab company will even be more vigilant when it comes to security.

Billions of dollars are at stake; a terrorist incident could be potentially devasting to Dubai Ports, much more so than a non-Arabic company.

But I don't want our security entrusted to their vigilance. They are not a Security organization, as Kilmer has repeatedly stated. Yes they have a lot to loose, but we have more to loose. It just isn't worth the risk because there isn't a proportional gain, IMO.

Stop making sense, this thread is about nationalist hysteria.

Archived