Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Hall vs. Nick Novak...

TheSchwartz

Stats per NFL.com...

First up Nick Novak...

2/2 inside 30 yards...5/7 from 30-39 yards, two blocked kicks...1/1 from 40-49 yards...His longest made FG was 40 yards...

As for kickoffs he averaged 57.2 yards with a return average of 21.5. Kicking off from the 30 means that teams would start around the 34 yard line...

Now on to John Hall...

4/4 inside 30 yards...3/3 from 30-39 yards...5/6 from 40-49 yards...Had a long of 45 yards this year...

Averaged 60.5 yards per kickoff this year with an average return of 21.9 yards. So kicking off from the 30 means teams would start around the 31 yard line. And that's with a tender leg.

I know Hall can't stay healthy but it has been reported that he is changing his offseason regimen to help prevent the problems of the past two years. I also know Hall is set to count over $1 million against the cap which is a little unwieldy for a kicker of his level. I don't mind if he stays or goes as long as they bring in someone who is just as good if not better, and from what I can tell about the stats that guy isn't Novak. Why is everyone so in love with Novak? Is it just because he's a local boy?

For the $ Hall is making he isn't worth it, but if he restructures and commits himself to staying healthy I'm all for it.

Honestly I'd rather Hall not try to tackle on Special Teams. Can't he just sit back and be the last line like most Kickers?

BTW this just came to me, but I don't think we allowed a single return TD this season. That's pretty damn nice.

Stats per NFL.com...

First up Nick Novak...

2/2 inside 30 yards...5/7 from 30-39 yards, two blocked kicks...1/1 from 40-49 yards...His longest made FG was 40 yards...

As for kickoffs he averaged 57.2 yards with a return average of 21.5. Kicking off from the 30 means that teams would start around the 34 yard line...

Now on to John Hall...

4/4 inside 30 yards...3/3 from 30-39 yards...5/6 from 40-49 yards...Had a long of 45 yards this year...

Averaged 60.5 yards per kickoff this year with an average return of 21.9 yards. So kicking off from the 30 means teams would start around the 31 yard line. And that's with a tender leg.

I know Hall can't stay healthy but it has been reported that he is changing his offseason regimen to help prevent the problems of the past two years. I also know Hall is set to count over $1 million against the cap which is a little unwieldy for a kicker of his level. I don't mind if he stays or goes as long as they bring in someone who is just as good if not better, and from what I can tell about the stats that guy isn't Novak. Why is everyone so in love with Novak? Is it just because he's a local boy?

Hall has to go.

How can you do nothing but but kick, and be injured all the time?

The field position we give other teams via kick-offs is more important then alot of people think.

We need a kick-ass kicker who puts it past the opponants 30 yrd line.

After getting a #2 WR and a DE, we need a real kicker.

Hail!:point2sky

dougwilliams.JPG

I really wish we would have kept novak he won alot of games for us.

What do you consider ALOT?

He was the kicker for Dallas, Sea, KC, Den, and SF...

I guess he "won" the Dallas game because without his EPs Dallas wins 13-12.

He "won" the Seattle game because he managed to hit a chip shot FG, but also had a chip shot blocked because he couldn't get it over the line...

Of course he "lost" the Denver game. We lost by 2 and once again he had a 30-39 yarder blocked because he couldn't get the ball high enough.

KC game was a loss in which he kicked a total of 0 FGs.

SF game was won by 35 points, don't think his 9 points had much to do with it...

Wanna reconsider?

I really don't care if Hall is the kicker, but to want Novak back is, to me, like keeping Hall around...

For those hating on Hall's KO you should check around the league...

Player...KO Average...Return Avg...Net

Hall (WAS)...60.5...21.9...38.6

Brown (RFA-SEA)...62.9...22...40.9

Bryant (UFA-TB)...62.7...21.7...41

Edinger (UFA-MIN)...59.4...21.2...38.2

Nedney (UFA-SF)...59.6...20.1...39.5

I think most people don't realize how difficult it really is to kick the ball high enough and deep enough to keep a team inside the 25 on KO...

If Hall can stay healthy he truly is the BEST option. He is keeping up with the rest of the healthy kickers with half a leg. Of course health is the issue, and coupled with his salary cap figure; could mean he's out of a job here in DC. But don't fool yourself into thinking the guy they bring in will somehow kick off better or be more consistent in kicking FGs...

Novak hit a 54 yarder vs Denver but it was called back. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

Hall could not hit a 54 yarder if his life depended on it. That kick vs the Chargers was a joke.

Both guys kick offs stink.

Novak was accurate as hell. He did not miss a kick that was not blocked. And both blocks were not his fault.

Maybe Hall will restructure; I do feel confident when he is kicking. I hate his kickoffs!

Miss the big kick vs Seahawks. Did not come close on the game winning kick vs Chargers. Confident how? Novak is 10 times the kicker Hall is. Hall got the job on reputation. He has been hurt every yr since we got him. And it always effects his deep leg. If you go to the games and watch the pre game warm ups you will see he can not makea kick beyond 45.

Stats per NFL.com...

First up Nick Novak...

Now on to John Hall...

navack is a feel good story but without an injured quad he was shorter than hall.. he also had 2 kicks blocked..

if hall can remain healthy (a big if) then he is worth keeping. if not, we should go after someone like nedney or longwell...

For those hating on Hall's KO you should check around the league...

Player...KO Average...Return Avg...Net

Hall (WAS)...60.5...21.9...38.6

Brown (RFA-SEA)...62.9...22...40.9

Bryant (UFA-TB)...62.7...21.7...41

Edinger (UFA-MIN)...59.4...21.2...38.2

Nedney (UFA-SF)...59.6...20.1...39.5

I think most people don't realize how difficult it really is to kick the ball high enough and deep enough to keep a team inside the 25 on KO...

If Hall can stay healthy he truly is the BEST option. He is keeping up with the rest of the healthy kickers with half a leg. Of course health is the issue, and coupled with his salary cap figure; could mean he's out of a job here in DC. But don't fool yourself into thinking the guy they bring in will somehow kick off better or be more consistent in kicking FGs...

that is a big if... the only problem is that once kickers start to get brittle and go downhill they seldom become solid again. i just keep thinking to the menagerie we had before hall.. a lot of ugliness.. even when we tried to get a pro

If Hall can get healthy and come back, I'd rather keep him. - We might be better served getting a 2nd kicker that does nothing but kick off - especially if that will keep Hall healthy.

Novak also had a few extra points blocked. - He needs to work on his technique for the NFL. - He might be decent in a few years.

If Hall can get healthy and come back, I'd rather keep him. - We might be better served getting a 2nd kicker that does nothing but kick off - especially if that will keep Hall healthy.

Novak also had a few extra points blocked. - He needs to work on his technique for the NFL. - He might be decent in a few years.

making up things as you go. Extra points blocked?

Honestly I'd rather Hall not try to tackle on Special Teams. Can't he just sit back and be the last line like most Kickers?

Yea, but then he won't add to his record of "Kicker who has received (or was it given?) the most number of concussions." I can't remember which it was, but I vaguely remember watching an NFL Films special that mentioned it.

The Redskins cannot afford to pay $1M to Hall or anyone else. We may not be in cap hell but money is tight and there are other needs. It isn't going to make sense to chase a name kicker during free agency. Not that there is much available.

Very few kickers are drafted and even fewer last long with the team that drafted them. Young kickers bounce around until someone takes a chance on them at the right time, when they've had enough experiences and are finally ready to hold a job. That's where new kickers come from.

The Redskins are going to have to find a couple prospects they like and give them a chance. This is where the front office is going to have to earn their money by picking the right guys to bring to camp.

Archived