Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football Outsiders on the NFC East & free agency

PersonsFan

One name they should consider is Washington running back Rock Cartwright. In 2003, Cartwright was one of the most productive backs in football sharing carries with Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts. Cartwright finished 11th in DVOA and 20th in DPAR, a statistic that rewards players for having more carries (further explained here), despite having ½ to 1/3 of the carries of the runners ranked below him. With the addition of Clinton Portis and Joe Gibbs in 2004, Cartwright’s playing time was drastically reduced, although he remained productive when he did play. The Rock is exactly the type of north and south runner Philadelphia needs to complement Westbrook in 2006.

interesting, love for Rock outside ES

it also mentions how the whole NFC East, besides us, are in need of tackles in an offseason with no tackles :)

However, there is no mention of additions on the defensive side of the ball. I would like us to get a good DE in this offseason.

I think that given the free agent market this year, we're probably going to have to address this need in the draft.

interesting, love for Rock outside ES

One of the reasons I like FootballOutsiders.com is that they're pretty objective and the stats they've figured out (the "DVOA" and "DPAR" they refer to in the bit you quote) give them a pretty good insight into who is undervalued and which players are real contributors. I posted a link to a really good article they did about Champ Bailey earlier in the season. They were trying to solve the problem of figuring out a good consistent metric to rate cornerbacks, one that takes into account the fact that teams don't throw in a good CB's direction as much.

One of the reasons I like FootballOutsiders.com is that they're pretty objective and the stats they've figured out (the "DVOA" and "DPAR" they refer to in the bit you quote) give them a pretty good insight into who is undervalued and which players are real contributors. I posted a link to a really good article they did about Champ Bailey earlier in the season. They were trying to solve the problem of figuring out a good consistent metric to rate cornerbacks, one that takes into account the fact that teams don't throw in a good CB's direction as much.

They did a big article on Rock a while back, after Steve gave him some carries. They used a demonstration of why they said Rock was more valuable to his team than DeShawn Foster was to Carolina that year.

A short summary was that their ranking system looks at every time a RB touches the ball, looks at the down and distance, and compares the yardage gained vs the NFLs average for all RBs on that down and distance.

What they basicly say was that while Foster got more yards than Rock, Rock did his running in short-yardage situations. And when compared against other NFL RBs in short yardage situations, Rock did better than they did.

(I'm really gonna be ticked if I have to add Rock Cartwright to the long list of former Skins that I really liked who're now wearing green.)

"despite an exceptional year from punter Derrick Frost and his coverage team, the second best unit in the NFL according to our rankings."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WTF kind of rankings do they use?

:laugh:

the Redskins will make moves to add DL and WR but it won't be Abraham and Wayne coming to DC. it is going to be mid-tier guys just like the additions of Griffin and Washington were in 2004.

nobody knew who these guys were and a year or two later they are part of one of the best defenses in the NFL.

think the Colts wouldn't still like to have Washington?

Say instead of Stokely or Dallas Clark, players the team really doesn't need............

Archived